Fortnightly Challenge November 12 - 25 : Black and White

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Rule of Thirds October 29 - November 11
      [*]Black and White November 12 - 25
    • Balancing Elements November 26 - December 9

Dale

2. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Two to start. Both of these are in the style of photography that I practiced as a student. My equipment included 4X5 film and a view camera. Yes, I'm that old :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dale

3. jabbott macrumors 6502

Very interesting photos, Dale. The depth of field used for the shells is just right, and the framing is also good to capture the shadow and surrounding areas. Here is my latest B&W taken last month while on a road trip through New Mexico... there was a huge storm system that stretched from Canada to Mexico, and we were right at the edge of it. Shiprock (the large volcanic formation shown below) is visible from quite some distance. This is currently my desktop background:

[​IMG]
    Shiprock
    1/250s, 24mm, f/8, ISO 100
    Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    B&W processed with Topaz Adjust

4. jabbott macrumors 6502

Here is another from the same trip:
    [​IMG]
    Kiva C, Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde National Park
    1/200s, 12mm, f/4, ISO 100
    Canon Rebel T2i + 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    B&W processed with Topaz Adjust

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I shot a few rolls of Tri-X 400 last week, so I've got plenty of B&Ws! These were all taken digitally at the same time though, and then converted to black and white. I don't have a film scanner anymore to scan the negatives :(

Here's one for today that I posted in POTD a few days ago:
    [​IMG]

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Very nice. What was the light source?

[​IMG]
    Check out Queenstown by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

7. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Taken at night, sort of a ninja snap. I was pleasantly surprised the smoke was clear, but not entirely happy with the angle of the shot.

Attached Files:

8. picandfire251 macrumors newbie

9. Barnzee macrumors regular

10. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Jordan's future...

[​IMG]

----------

Really cool shadow, very creative use of light. I guess that's what B&W photography is about getting those contrasts.

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

B&W via NIK software on my POTD photo just posted:

[​IMG]

12. JAWJr macrumors member

Brilliant shot! Really well done. Are the designs on her hands like what they do in India?

My shot was taking during a hike in the Sierra Nevada's. Simple point-and-shoot. This little lake (Tamsen) was one that the Donner party stopped at as they tried to make it over this mountain range. Lots of history here. Luckily it is mostly still un-spoiled.

Attached Files:

13. Rich-212 macrumors member

Some really nice stuff here. This has been a good topic for me - I rarely shoot in B&W, but the light inside this building was fairly poor and it looked fairly grey anyway so changed it in post.

14. Rich-212 macrumors member

oops, missed the photo off my post above...

Attached Files:

15. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

[​IMG]

This is a photo from my final project in my large format class. The photo is taken on 4x5 Ilford Delta 400 film.

16. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

17. JDDavis, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like the shell shot alot. Someone said it earlier, the DOF is perfect and the composition is great. Maybe just a little more contrast would be good but I think it's a great shot.

18. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Wonderfully creative. The shadow is fantastic. My only desire would be for the fork to be lit just a little more so I can see more of it clearly (without ruining the shadow of course).

----------

I really like the lines that the bridge and the shoreline create. It focuses you to the background of the image which is a bit blown out. This may have been what you where going for, I'm not sure. Personally, I wish the distant background wasn't so blown out so there was something for my eye to finally land on.

19. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Here's two from my favorite place in West Virginia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. JAWJr macrumors member

I love the detail and contrast that both the sky and rocks provide together. Very powerful. There are soft colour differences in the trees below- is that because of some light fog in the area or by fall colours that the b&w hide?

21. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

It was the fog. The headwaters of the Potomac flow right through the valley and there was wispy fog coming off the stream all morning. I was hoping the fog was going to get more dramatic but it never did.

22. JAWJr macrumors member

Paris street band-

Attached Files:

23. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

24. UltimaMC macrumors member

Streets of Boston

Not suppose to go back into the archives...but I like this pic so much.

[​IMG]