Found iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhearty99, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I found an iPhone 6s Plus today. Passcode lock is on, there is a sim card in it but the phone has no service. For some reason, there is a sticker on the back of the phone which has the IMEI and Serial Number of the phone, so I ran the IMEI on Swappa and it is reported as lost or stolen. I then called Tmobile since there was a Tmobile sim card, and they ran the Sim card number and actually called the customer who came up and left a voicemail with my contact info.

Is there a way for me to find out the iCloud email associated with the phone? When I plug it in, it says to enter the passcode to connect to it. Hoping to email them as well.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You should turn the phone over to the police department and inform them that T-Mobile told you the phone was stolen.

3. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I agree with the above poster, turn it in and let the police take it from here.

Though, I found a lost iPod Touch once and turned it in. Months passed and no one claimed it, so I was eligible to claim it for myself. It was iCloud locked so it didn't do me any good, but I did discover that if you do a restore on the device, and the person has put it in "lost mode", it'll come up with a message from the owner IF they left one. The iPod Touch ended up having a number to call.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You want to find out the iCloud email account the phone is locked to?
    Because the T-Mobile rep giving him your contact info is not enough.
    I thought I heard many "lost" and found iPhone stories but they always seem to be getting shadier as they go.

5. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Well the guy at Tmobile actually never said anything like that. I gave him the SIM card number and he said "I found the customer" and then called them and left a voicemail with my call back.

If they dont contact me by tomorrow when I get out of work, i will drop it at the Police Station though.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    I appreciate your accusation lol

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Thank you for correcting me on that point.

edited out because I misread.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like T-Mobile was contacted by phone.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Was stating my opinion from reading your posts About an iPhone found with a sticker on it that had the serial and imei number and you ran it to see if it's iCloud locked;)
    Either way to answer your question you cannot get the owners full iCloud email. I hope you do the right thing and reunite the device with its rightful owner or the local police department.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I misread. Thanks for the correction.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like it wasn't checked for iCloud lock, just an IMEI check on Swappa to see if it was reported lost/stolen.

11. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I wasnt at the TMobile store, this over the phone with their customer service. I do plan on bringing the phone to the Police tomorrow

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just so you know, even if we know of a way to find the email and other information, we would not divulge that to you. No offense, but you are new with no history. Many come here looking for that kind of tech help for nefarious reasons. As such, the members of MR do our best to not discuss such when asked.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why though?
    I'm sure if the iCloud check site still existed he'd check that too.
    I wouldn't go through all that if I was planning on returning the device.

14. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Now that you mention it, I do realize how ridiculous that sounds but the phone literally has a sticker on the back with that info. I can post a picture if you would like lol I am trying to reunite with the owner as I assumed the police department has a bin full of phones that this will be thrown in but that is what I will do.
    Ive been a member for close to 5 years, 4 days longer then you actually lol? That is considered new?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know that's what they all think.
    I should just keep it, the police station has tons of lost cellphones:D

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

First time I recall seeing you post. I guess I have missed it, given your low post count (175). That is what I meant. I saw your join date.

Edited to add: 175 posts in almost 5 years is not what I would call "regular," even though MR denotes it that way.

17. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Yes, Ive been casually posting here for 5 years for this moment!
    [​IMG]
    I missed that you answered my question about the email. Thank you

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's weird.
    From the pic Looks like it was bought or sold used with that sticker on. Maybe at a 3rd party used cellphone place or pawn shop?
    If you still have the T-Mobile sim you can get the owners phone number from that and call or text the person who lost it.
    Maybe you'll get a reward for your effort and time put into this. Plus it will be better in the end since an iCloud locked iPhone is useless besides some parts that could be reused for spare repairs.

19. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Yea I kind of figured a third party store. I do have the SIM that was in the phone which is how I knew it was TMobile and how the rep over the phone was able to look up the info. Hopefully the owner contacts me.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like it could have been part of some "fleet" of devices used at some company or school or some other organization.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know I would call you right away and tip you cash for your help. :)
    It's not only an expensive device but it could have very valuable info and pics that not many would like to lose.

22. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Power up the phone and see if the owner set up the ICE contact in the "emergency" section. Also, ask Siri "who's phone is this"

And if you want to go all out, you can pop your sim in and see if Siri can call or text either wife, husband, dad, mom, brother or sister. Or better yet, go to T-Mobile and have hem pop their sim in.

23. Ca_lvn macrumors member

I have a sticker on the back of my iPhone that says reward with my home phone number , hope I never need it!

24. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

OP, God Bless you for being an honest and kind person. Anyone else would just keep the phone and sell it for their own profit.

If I ever lose my phone, I would hope someone like you would find it and actually reach out to me to return it or at least hand it to the police.

Also, @rijc99, that's a useful tip (the Siri thing). I didn't know one could do that.

25. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I write my email address and phone # on the inside of my case just in case this ever happens to me. Have they called you back yet? If they haven't called yet, I'd assume they won't. Who doesn't check VM for over a day?