Found kittie's, what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, May 15, 2007.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sparing you a long and boring story, I will sum it up: I found two kittens and I don' know what to do.

They look like they should still be weaning off their mother, but I unfortunately had the experience of watching their mother be run over.:(

I need to know what to feed them, where to keep them, and what to do with them. I can't keep them forever, we already have 3 cats and thats all my parents will allow. Should I post an ad in the paper? No one I know will take them.

Please help, they're so cute:eek: (The one closest to me is shivering; probably misses it's mother. :()
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

they look a coupel of weeks old, the best thing to do will probably be to go tomorrow morning or whenever you get a chance to a vet clinic...you dont need to take them with you or pay for a check up or anything if you don t want to just tell them what happeend and ask them what formula you should buy to feed them...you will most likely have to feed them 5 to 8 times a day little amounts....

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Oh my God. They are SO cute! I feel so bad for them. I hope someone comes along and takes them. I, unfortunately, can't.

.....SO cute! :apple:

Attached Files:

4. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

OMG the cuteness of those kittens is melting even my cold and ruthless heart. *melts*

That said, I think you guys need to call the vet straight away to find out what kind of cat-milk substitute to give to little teeny kittens who would still be nursing at their age (I don't know how long they do that for). Cow's milk proteins might be too difficult for them to digest. But I know nothing about cats (just human babies).

Good luck finding them a home! They are just darling.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes regular cow milk wont be good for them, they need a special formula, cats need a lot more protein and many more things that even dogs need,(tahst the reason why a dog can survive eating cat food and will be overweight but a cat won t survive on dog food), it should not be hard to find them a replacement formula. good luck finding a good home for them, if oyu need anyhelp let me know, i ve got some experience with animals and im studying to be a vet, also worked a a cat hospital for over a year so if i can be of any help just let me know...

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Some questions:

Where should they stay? Should they be allowed to roam free during the day?

Where should they sleep? Right now, they're mewoing they're cute little heads off in a crdboard box with a blanket in it.

Would it be ok to seperate them if it means finding each a good home? i dont plan on doing this, but just in case.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Get them to a vet a.s.a.p.

They are beautiful.:)

FJ

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

if you have three other cats i would keep an eye on them. They may voluntarily or unconsciously hurt them or even kill them. I would not recommend separating them, at least not for now. The reason they keep meowing is because their mom would be awake and with them at this time(if it is nightime where you are) it is okay though they will be fine? have they eaten anything or drank anything since they got to your home? if they haven't you can try giving them a little bit of you cats WET food, just put a little bit on your finfertip and they will lick it off, if they do not take this, you can try enticing them with some wet treats from your cat, this is not very good for them but it is way better than them not eating anything, until you can get them their formula. And have fresh water available for them at all times, in a plate not a bowl, believe it or not they can drown easily, specially if they are not feeling well or if they are weak. During most of the day they will be sleeping so you won t have to worry much about them roaming freely but do keep an eye on your own cats, most adults wont mind or even care but some do. If you cannot get them the formula tomorrow, then keep feeding them little by little, maybe every 3 or 4 hours a little bit from your fingertip (1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons)..

oh but if you do find them a good home but they have to be separated, don t worry they will be fine. Better each one in a good home than both of them at some adoption center(if you can t keep them of course).

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, you'll have to get a litterbox for them, and some food, of course. Then I would take them to a vet to get them checked out. It'll cost a bit, but it's best to be sure. Don't spring for any meds or anything unless it's urgent, just be sure to relay the vital info to whoever gets 'em.

It'd be best if they went somewhere as a pair, of course, but it wouldn't be horrible if they split up. Too bad you're not in Chicago, or I'd take 'em! That's how I got my first cat, he was a stray kitten near-death that I took in.

They're cute!

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

11. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Keep us informed. First objective is milk, and warmth!

12. furious macrumors 65816

furious

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm no expert but the biggest threat to these kitties right now is dehydration and malnutrition... more likely the cause of shivering than emotional distress.

Can you get them to lick some water off your fingers or suck on a clean wet corner of a towel?

Also, keep them warm if you can. Don't delay one minute longer than necessary to get the proper formula for them... Some vets maintain a 24-hour oncall answering service.

Read this
    http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm
    recipes for formula
    http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

One other thing... very small animals' metabolisms are so high, and resistance is so low, that anything that's going to happen, will happen very quickly, hours rather than days. Be prepared.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

15. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Thanks for the support guy's, I really appreciate it.

My mom actually drove 100 miles to get some formula for these cats, so we have that. We've fed them twice, and they have a plate of water in thier box.

Still, I know I'm not going to get any sleep tonight, I'm scared for them.:(

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

very true, thats is why i said you must feed them small quantities every 3 - 4 hours.. don't overstress yourself though, feed them accordingly, keep them warm,make sure they have water and they will be fine...if it wasn't for you they would probably be dead by now keep that in your mind, not to put more pressure on you but to know that you have already done a great thing by taking care of them, and just the fact that you are asking questions on how to help them, makes all of us know you will take very good care of them. i am sure they ll be fine.

17. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, our neighbor told us that, so I have my alarm clock set to go off every 3 hours.

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Good luck Cassie
    My thoughts are with you.

FJ

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

aw, they're very cute. i have no useful advice that hasn't already been given, but so cute. good luck with them.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just wasted way too much time playing that game.

Well anyway the cats are very cute, And I have nothing useful to say, except for repeating what you have already been told, so anyway good luck with them Cassie.

21. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Get some posters/ads made and find them a good home of you cant keep them yourself. Thats what I did and this little tiny kitten turned into a monster of a cat that dominated the street for years. :D

Oh and if they are shivering wrap them up in a nice woolly blanket.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Carnation Evaporated Milk - at room temperature

[​IMG]

23. aprilgrey34 macrumors member

I would suggest KMR [​IMG] (stands for Kitten Milk Replacer)
    ... but it sounds like you've already gotten some. Instructions for how much and how often to feed them are based on weight and age, and are on the back of the container. If you are bottle-feeding them, do not feed them in a "human baby position", with their feet in their air. If you think about it, cats are not meant to eat upside-down like that, and bottle-feeding kittens like this will cause them to aspirate the formula and develop pneumonia. Hold the kitten with its feet toward the ground and their head-end slightly elevated to take the bottle. In addition to feeding them according to the package directions, start trying to wean them. (They may not take yet, but it won't hurt to try.) Get a premium brand canned kitten food and make a soft, runny mash by mixing it with the KMR formula, and offer it to them in a shallow dish/saucer or on your finger tips. Initially, they will just walk through it and get messy (providing precious pictures though!), but eventually they will start eating it. Once they start eating it, gradually reduce the amount of KMR.

If the kittens are not yet going potty on their own, you need to stimulate them to go. Mama cats do this by grooming them all over. What you need to do is, after feeding them, gently rub their bottoms with a soft cloth. They should start "going" with the stimulation; their poop should pretty soft, but not real runny diarrhea.

I would not let them roam free. A cardboard box with soft blankets will work fine, provided the walls of the box are tall enough to prevent them from climbing out. They should be kept warm, as they may be too young to regulate their own temperature well; at 3-4 weeks old, their ambient temperature should be 70-75oF. Over 4 weeks old, they should be able to thermoregulate better. A rough rule of thumb to estimate the age of kittens is that their age in months roughly equals their weight in pounds; in other words, a 1-lb kitten is around 1 month old, a 3-lb kitten is around 3 months old... up to maybe around 6 months. However, keep in mind that these kittens may weigh less than they should according to the "rule," if they have been apart from their Mama for a while.

Definitely call your veterinarian as well as other local veterinarians to see if they will take them in. Unfortunately, many vet clinics will not take them in unless you are going to act as their legal "owner," including taking financial responsibility for them. Also try calling your local animal control/animal shelter; you may have better luck there.

Good luck with these precious babies! Please keep us posted.