Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
make a video of them and post it on youtube. allow people to email you to inquire how to adopt them. people that love cats will automatically search videos involving cats, and who knows, maybe someone with a big heart will adopt those kitties. theyre sooo cute i wanna squish their heads....!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
WOW, they are really cute. a vet clinic should be have some kitten formula and small little baby bottles so you can feed them. I don't think you would have to do it for a long time. They look like they could soon be on dry food. A vet can look at the kittens and make a better assessment.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!

Right now they're sleeping. :) My mom tells me she fed them about four times today, and they're eating it.

Glad to hear they are adapting. If you were anywhere near me, I would happily add them to my menagerie. My wife would kill me, though. I can't resist a kitten! Yours are very cute.

aprilgrey34

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
CT
What did your mom feed them Cassie? Oh and BTW, you can get that Carnation milk at a regular grocery store. :)

But don't feed them straight Carnation out of the can. You can find some good kitten recipes online using Carnation mixed with warm water and plain yogurt. (Stay away from raw egg though -- good source of Salmonella!) Someone posted a link earlier in this thread. Mama Cat's milk is always best of course, but when that's not possible as in this case, a formula specifically made for kittens (like KMR) is second best. You can start weaning them as early as 3-4 weeks old in orphan kitten situations like this.

Sounds like things are going well for you and kittens so far. :) Keep posting pics! Kittens grow fast!

PS Have you named them yet?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
We bought KMR last night, and they're taking to it well. We haven't named them, so we son't get attached. There are no plans to keep these kittens, although I would love to.

One question though. Someone earlier in the thread said to wipe thier rear-ends with a warm damp cloth so they would poop, but we've been doing that, and they haven't pooped yet. It's been over a day, so we're not sure exactly what to do...

Idea's?

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I'm thinking they may not need to poop if all they're getting is KMR. By the way, I felt a huge sense of relief when reading your post about feeding them KMR; I know they will be alright now. :)

I had only mentioned the Carnation because it would get them by until you were able to get them the KMR. I think you should hang onto them until they're just a little older and more sturdier; does that make sense? :)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Sounds like you're doing most things right, but a couple of things to think about:

Stay clear of the home-made foods, a commercial kitten milk replacer is much more consistent in its protein content etc. than something you'd make yourself.
Kittens have real trouble maintaining their body temperature, so you need to keep them warm with external heat (keep the room warm etc). Obviously don't overdo it!
I'd be making real efforts to find their mother and reunite them if you can. Depending how long you've had them that may or may not be possible (she might not take to them again), but kittens learn loads of stuff from their mothers (e.g. how to groom, how to use a litter tray) so if they can stay with her until they're 6-8 weeks old it'd be best. Have you asked all your neighbours about them?

There is loads of info on the web I'd imagine, but I'd advise you call your local vet for advice if you're worried about anything. There's a lot of rubbish on t'internet. :)

Al the vet

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
One question though. Someone earlier in the thread said to wipe thier rear-ends with a warm damp cloth so they would poop, but we've been doing that, and they haven't pooped yet. It's been over a day, so we're not sure exactly what to do...

Idea's?
Oh yes, and dang I forgot to post this yesterday!! Okay, my cat-knowledgeable friend says that she used a wet cotton ball when she had orphan kittens once. If the kitties mom were here, she'd be grooming (aka licking) their little parts down there, so a damp cotton ball might more closely simulate that feeling and help them move their bowels. And no smart aleck comments from the peanut gallery on this, plz thx? I didn't make up this cat grooming stuff. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.