Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvbagora

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
Bielsko-Biała, Polska
Hi, it's me again.

Turned out that the SSD I ordered is Hynix 512 GB 2242, not 2230. Will it work as well as 2230? Also, adaptor I purchased is 1.gen I think (no cutouts). Will it work as well as that V6 version?

Fgoody

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Hi, it's me again.

Turned out that the SSD I ordered is Hynix 512 GB 2242, not 2230. Will it work as well as 2230? Also, adaptor I purchased is 1.gen I think (no cutouts). Will it work as well as that V6 version?
as known 2242, 2230 are the same, even the adaptor it's just a different version.
you can try it out as long as ur Hynix is BC511 but i'm not sure the PCIe controller is the same Phison

Fgoody

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Hi, it's me again.

do you have any update after you install the hynix ssd ? mind to share some input ?

sup123a

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Anyone overcome the battery drain issue. Appreciate if you can share combination of adaptor, SSD brand, configuration.
I have NFHK adaptor + Sabrent Rocket nano 1TB. and battery drains about 1-2% per hour in standby mode. It cannot be acceptable.

I have ordered Sintech adaptor and am waiting for it. But think it might not help since many people in this thread already have problem with it.

kvbagora

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
Bielsko-Biała, Polska
Hello!

I received an adaptor today's morning and installed the SSD.

When it comes to replacement itself, the hardest thing for me was removing lower case. I just couldn't figure out how much force I have to apply to remove it. When it came off, everything went smooth as butter: NFHK adaptor with BC511 in 2242 size fits perfectly.

I erased the drive and installed fresh Big Sur on it. Everything went just fine. There is no problem with sleep/wake. No problem with booting up with AC cord in aswell. I attach some screenshots.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, just remember I'm no IT guy myself :D

Will be back in a week to share info about battery life.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-27 o 12.45.43.png
Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-27 o 13.02.14.png

Cheers!

tejo.me

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi guys! I'm new to the forums.
I just wanted to share my experience with you.

So I'm using NFHK adaptor (v5 printed on the board), and a SK hynix BC511 NVMe M.2 256GB 2242 PCIe Gen3.
Everything went great on installing, I formatted the drive and fresh installed Big Sur.

I'm not experiencing any problems, slight slower reading time but faster writing, I feel the Mac is more responsive.
I have no hibernation errors (using the terminal command) and no power cord errors. Running smoothly without any hassle.

I can't confirm about battery drain because my battery was already not that good and I use my Mac plugged almost 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for all the info shared on this topic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 17.45.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 17.45.31.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 17.44.35.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 17.44.35.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 101

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Interesting but I wonder if a MacBook with this adapter and nvme drive will also have hibernation problems and battery drain like the 2013 to 2015 MBPs.
Have 2015 dual graphics and no battery drain - perhaps you are referring to early 2015 models ?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Are you running the latest OS? I believe it wasn't until later releases of MacBook firmware that fixed the battery drain issues.
Yeah, I have Big Sur running. need to check the firmware to see if its fixed that. I haven't experienced any real drop in battery though.

Reactions: Audit13

sup123a

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
OK. I have a workaround already.

After researching and testing for weeks.
I confirmed that A1708 will never get battery saving when entering standby.
Neither SsdPmEnable nor NVMeFix helps it. Changing Adaptor also does not help. the cause is MacBook has specific driver for only its genuine SSD.

So I disable standby completely and use traditional hibernate instead, the same hibernate mode as in Windows OS.

Here is what I made to pmset.

autopoweroff 0
standby 0
hibernatemode 25
displaysleep 2
sleep 10

When my MacBook is in on Battery.
If close the lid, MacBook will wait for a while and enter hibernate.
Or if leave MacBook idle for 2 minutes, Macbook will turn of display and wait for another 8 minutes and enter hibernate.

In hibernate mode, to wakeup MacBook, I have to press power button or open the lid.
And have to wait for about 5- 10 seconds for system to be ready.
That is the trade off but it is very acceptable.

Also in this hibernate mode, it does not consume battery at all. So I am now satisfied.

Last edited:

kvbagora

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
Bielsko-Biała, Polska
Hello, I come back with report : )

Just to remind: I have 512 GB Hynix BC511 2242 and NFHK Adaptor.

I installed SsdPmEnable. The battery life is far worse than OG one (about 1-2% per hour in sleep). It's kinda annoying while using it as a laptop when I'm away from home, but when I'm home, I usually use my Mac in clamshell mode, with AC plugged in all the time, so it's not a huge problem (but it's worth noting).

The speeds are comparable, I think that it is a bit slower, but it may be just placebo effect.

All in all, MacBook is working perfectly fine, no troubles at all, and it feels sooooo good to have this amount of storage!

Cheers!

josuku

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Hi,

yesterday I began to have some problems with my Macbook. I have a Sabrent Rocket 512Gb drive with a NFHK adapter. I was having problems before related to the audio, because audio device disappeared and sound was not working on speakers or with externar earphones.

Yesterday problem was that Lightroom crashed when I tried to import photos. I have been working with Lightroom during many years. I uninstalled it, installed again, updated, but it keeps crashing.

I rebooted my Macbook and exec the Apple Hardware Test, and it returns me a VDH002 error related to the hard disk.

Any of you have the same problem? Should I use the warranty to change the Sabrent Drive (bought less than a year ago)?

Thank you!
best regards

Darktitor

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2020
Hi,

yesterday I began to have some problems with my Macbook. I have a Sabrent Rocket 512Gb drive with a NFHK adapter. I was having problems before related to the audio, because audio device disappeared and sound was not working on speakers or with externar earphones.

Yesterday problem was that Lightroom crashed when I tried to import photos. I have been working with Lightroom during many years. I uninstalled it, installed again, updated, but it keeps crashing.

I rebooted my Macbook and exec the Apple Hardware Test, and it returns me a VDH002 error related to the hard disk.

Any of you have the same problem? Should I use the warranty to change the Sabrent Drive (bought less than a year ago)?

Thank you!
best regards
Hello

As one of the first user who made the changes using Sintech and Sabrent Rocket Nano 1to, my drive is still perfectly working

I guess you should use the warranty and change the hard drive

josuku

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Hello

As one of the first user who made the changes using Sintech and Sabrent Rocket Nano 1to, my drive is still perfectly working

I guess you should use the warranty and change the hard drive
thank you. I am going to mount the original SSD and try if VDH002 also appears.

My Macbook is elegible to the Apple SSD Service Program (https://support.apple.com/en-euro/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service), maybe this is the main problem, although I thought this problem was related to the original SSD and not to the Macbook.

So it error appears with original SSD I am going to send it to repair, and then try again.

Fgoody

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
here's the latest update for Nvmefix, it's ver. 1.0.8 I've tried it with 1.0.7, it seemed that the mac is quite hot, but when I replaced the kext to 1.0.8 it's working quite okie, for performance wise fully charged running outlook, some website chrome, and few messagers around an hour, with 85% left. for working temp-wise, Mac fan control in auto mode remains 43-45°c, unibody is quite cooling. if you haven't try to update the nvmefix ver. it's worth trying it to update to 1.0.8, to have some battery draining issue.

Cheers

bigtwisteronjupiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2021
I am waiting for my parts and found out this thread. Cannot believe how much headache I am walking into with this Sabrent SSD.

Just to know, is there any anyone who used Sabrent brand SSD but NOT experiencing reboot and hibernation issues ? From what I gathered, seems like the problem is systematic without exceptions.

Darktitor

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2020
OK. I have a workaround already.

After researching and testing for weeks.
I confirmed that A1708 will never get battery saving when entering standby.
Neither SsdPmEnable nor NVMeFix helps it. Changing Adaptor also does not help. the cause is MacBook has specific driver for only its genuine SSD.

So I disable standby completely and use traditional hibernate instead, the same hibernate mode as in Windows OS.

Here is what I made to pmset.

autopoweroff 0
standby 0
hibernatemode 25
displaysleep 2
sleep 10

When my MacBook is in on Battery.
If close the lid, MacBook will wait for a while and enter hibernate.
Or if leave MacBook idle for 2 minutes, Macbook will turn of display and wait for another 8 minutes and enter hibernate.

In hibernate mode, to wakeup MacBook, I have to press power button or open the lid.
And have to wait for about 5- 10 seconds for system to be ready.
That is the trade off but it is very acceptable.

Also in this hibernate mode, it does not consume battery at all. So I am now satisfied.
I confirm that this is solving the hibernation problem for me as well

bigtwisteronjupiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2021
Original config: MBP 13 2017 128GB 2 ports

I installed the Sabrent 512gb drive. but ran into a bizarre issue that's almost the opposite of what's everyone else is having:

The computer cannot reboot properly when it's not plugged-in. It will turn off, but doesn't turn back on. I will need to press the power button to turn it on but it comes back with an error message:

*** MCA Error Report ***
CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump (CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7360U CPU @ 2.30GHz, CPUID: 0x806E9)
CATERR detected! No MCA data found.

Also, it seems that the reboot will work if I have the power cable in, however, it will still show the same error messages after it boots back. Any suggestions?

AllanRF

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2021
Hello,

I came up to this forum looking to solve an issue with a A1708 Macbook pro, I'm currently having issues booting it and goes to change the password (wich I did) and I looked into disk utilities and came so that the disk was unmount, so I mount it, restart it and the same issue.

When you upgrade the SSD, the one that came with the MacBook Pro can be used as an external drive so I can get the information back? or is there an easier solution for this problem?

Thanks for anyone that can help me :)

iNinos

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Hi guys,
Just a quick update.
I’ve purchased the SSD upgrade kit from this website
It got shipped today, when it arrives, I’ll try the SSD and get back to you with all the information including r/w speeds.

I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else would like to try the kit and provide feedback.
Cheers

vctrburk

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Hey all,

Would love to get your opinion on where I should go from here as its exactly a year on since I installed my Sabrent Rocket 2242 with the NFHK Adapter (one of the first to come on the market) and to be honest my Macbook has become near obsolete as I hate using it.

It drains the battery incredibly fast even during usage, so it now needs to be plugged in all of the time. The Macbook itself has became incredibly buggy and unreliable and often times takes minutes to come out of sleep or hibernation. Even as I post this I have not been able to make the most recent update because all of the windows within the appstore appear blank. Now I think its an awful waste and I think that its time i fixed this up and got back to using it so what do you guys all suggest. Should i just bite the bullet and put back in the original 125gb
?
?
or is there a better route to take that has become a common consensus with regards to adapter type or ssd type. Would the NVMEFix help me?

Obviously I love the bigger storage and to be fair the 125gb was near unusable towards the end, but at the same time at least the battery lasted and it was always as response as a mac should be. Let me know what you guys think.

bigtwisteronjupiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2021
Hey all,

Would love to get your opinion on where I should go from here as its exactly a year on since I installed my Sabrent Rocket 2242 with the NFHK Adapter (one of the first to come on the market) and to be honest my Macbook has become near obsolete as I hate using it.

It drains the battery incredibly fast even during usage, so it now needs to be plugged in all of the time. The Macbook itself has became incredibly buggy and unreliable and often times takes minutes to come out of sleep or hibernation. Even as I post this I have not been able to make the most recent update because all of the windows within the appstore appear blank. Now I think its an awful waste and I think that its time i fixed this up and got back to using it so what do you guys all suggest. Should i just bite the bullet and put back in the original 125gb
?
?
or is there a better route to take that has become a common consensus with regards to adapter type or ssd type. Would the NVMEFix help me?

Obviously I love the bigger storage and to be fair the 125gb was near unusable towards the end, but at the same time at least the battery lasted and it was always as response as a mac should be. Let me know what you guys think.
i have the same set up as you. although I am forced to make the change because the 128 gb drive that came with the machine died, and apple wanted close to 400 euros to fix it. So I don't even have the opinion to roll back.

I have observed similar behaviours from my computer. It would have black screen wake up from hibernation. The computer also will not reboot correctly, it will hang then eventually reboot and return with an error messages upon booting up. I feel like the machine runs hotter also in general even just with 1-2 webpages light browsing. I don't have other issues once I am in the system tho, no weird blank window.

It is frustrating that something as simple as changing a hard drive could cause this much headache on a Mac.

iNinos

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Hi guys,
I thought I'd give you a quick update.
I have now tried the following: https://beetstech.com/product/macbook-pro-13-inch-a1708-ssd-replacement-kit

I have also attached a print screen from Blackmagic where I've tested the r/w speeds. I can confirm that this solution, even though a bit more expensive than the ones provided here, is the best!

No issues with hibernation/sleep modes, no issues with having it plugged in, no ?-ssd related problems. All is working fine.

I'd highly recommend this method/ssd upgrade kit.

Attachments

• R:W - speeds.png
    R:W - speeds.png
    790.2 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.