Found this other otherday...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, May 8, 2011.

1. UltraNEO*, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011

UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]
    Seriously, people will try anything to get us to download it's malware and this page is no exception. Just by having the page open and the gif
    running on the above page it'll download some ill-labelled checking.. Thankfully on the Mac we still need to manual install such application.

Anyone else come across this? :rolleyes:

2. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

did it download anything???

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Mac AntiVirus crap has been going around lately ... delete it

5. KazeKrazy, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

As people weren't reading my post properly...let me just say this in an easy to understand fashion.
    Don't click that there button...

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mehh.. I don't install anything that I didn't purposely download. Just thought I'd post that up cause other people might find it informative.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

^^^ Do not listen to this guy ... do not run anything from it ... delete it

8. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Lol, amazing how hard people try and explot the Mac. Even worse are the folks who fall for such things.

"monitorer"... Lol!

9. simsaladimbamba

As your "proper" use of plural's indicate's, you may learn something from the following:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

And to add something to that image: at least they tried to emulate the Mac OS X GUI, but they failed again with the file types it shows, unless .exe files can be executed on Mac OS X, which might be possible once I install that crap software.

10. KazeKrazy, May 8, 2011

KazeKrazy

Changed Version
    Right, right. I don't know anything...I forgot.

11. KazeKrazy, May 8, 2011

KazeKrazy

Changed Version
    I was wrong...Happy?

12. simsaladimbamba

You were suggesting Windows software to scan a Mac OS X computer for Mac malware.

Btw, the software you recommend seems to be hosted on another host than the actual website. How trustworthy, especially as the free version links to the exact same download as the PRO version.
    Really?

13. KazeKrazy, May 8, 2011

KazeKrazy

Changed Version

Omg, You're so right...Teach me more. >:L Happy now?

14. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Butt...
    Your trying isn't really helping, instead it's just annoying everybody.

15. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Yeah, well. I'm sorry. Apparently now helping people ends up with people being so damn unappreciative. Whatever, I changed my comment, so why don't all of you change yours, eh? I changed it to something everyone can understand and won't get annoyed by.

So go on, change anyone who quoted my comment. Now. Because I was so kind as to change it up so it wouldn't be annoying. :mad:

16. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I pressed the button and now my computer keeps getting this blue screen with writing I don't understand. I also just noticed there's no more money in my checking account and the police are here but I didn't call them.

17. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude, I'm not being disrespectful on any levels.. MR is simply a great board for information and suggestions but it's only great because people are speaking clearly, direct to the point without beating around the bush. Usually, if you play nicely, others will play nicely too. :)

Welcome to MR btw.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

ignore the Cops ... they probably got the wrong address

19. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

I didn't really mean you. The other people who quoted my comment had smart allick things to say about my kind suggestion. I suggested something that helped me...I thought it could help you...but it can't...my mistake. Doesn't mean people have to throw specs in my face or tell me I'm untrustworthy. And thank you, I use it for that reason. But as I've said, I gave my suggestion, played nicely and the first comment to reply to me was someone telling me that I'm wrong. It would've been nice if they had said: Hey, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't look like that program is Mac compatible, but thanks for the idea!

+I'm 14...so sometimes I don't necessarily gather all the facts before I suggest. I just suggest.

Simplicity and thankfulness at it's finest.

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I thought it was funny that the "mac virus" was an .exe file

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

don't take things so personal ... your next post may be the one that helps someone ... cheer-up

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

At any age, that's a foolish thing to do. You need to remember that people come to this forum looking for answers to questions and help with problems. They don't need someone making things up as they go along. If you don't know an answer, don't make one up. Remember, thousands of people read these threads for many years after they've been posted, so if you mislead someone with false information or foolish suggestions, you're misleading thousands. There are many new Mac users who can easily be misled.

The good news is you can read and learn, so you WILL have the answers for future threads. As for the topic of this thread, here's a good place to start in your education:

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector issue. I encourage you to read it.​
    Yep. Being discussed here: New 'MACDefender' Malware Threat for Mac OS X and this thread.

23. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

And I thought that my suggestion would help because the last time I downloaded it a couple months ago I thought I saw it said PC/Linux/Mac compatible. It's really irratating how people have to judge when they can avoid things like this where the thread has gone way off topic. Someone could've avoided all these unnecessary posts of mine and theirs by saying as I said below...Thanks for the idea, but it seems it won't work for this issue.

24. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how you can make a statement like this, relieving yourself of any responsibility of doing due diligence before making a post, simply because of your age. If we are to take this at face value, then any future posts containing suggestions you make should be discounted because you stated that you may or may not have done even the most cursory research on what you're suggesting. If you want to be a responsible member of this community then you have to act responsibly. Act responsibly and then respect will follow.

According to your sig, at this point you don't even have a Mac, but that you want one. That's great. If you have any questions about the OSX/MBP experience or about specs/problems/software, etc, then this is exactly the place to be. Post those questions and they will be answered. I guarantee that. React the way you have on this thread and you might find a different response.

I don't really see how any of the responses from the guys that pointed out your error were hostile or mean spirited, but your reactions certainly were. You should be aware of something else. From time to time we see spam posts from brand new accounts which contain links which might redirect somewhere else than the link might describe.

Your post looked just like one of these. We report them to the forum mods and those accounts are usually banned pretty quickly.

My advice to you, which you can freely toss out with the nearest airlock, is to calm down and think before you post. I have it on good authority that 14 year old people all over the world are able to take responsibility for their actions and not use their age as an excuse to be irresponsible.

25. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Well, when it comes to me, I don't like when people say things that are either not intended or do not need to be said. I already get enough ridicule at school...So I tend to take things a bit more seriously. And thanks, I know someday my advice will actually be used...(Anytime I offer advice to my parents, they tell me to shut up and that I don't know anything about the topic)...

-cheers up-