Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

"Foundation" writer and showrunner David Goyer is ambitiously hoping to tell Isaac Asimov's science-fiction story over the course of eighty hours, which is as yet unheard of on Apple TV+.

foundation_trailer.jpg

Foundation tells the story of "a band of exiles on their monumental journey to save humanity and rebuild civilization amid the fall of the Galactic Empire," and is based on Isaac Asimov's science-fiction novels of the same name.

In a new interview for Lovin Malta, Goyer discussed why much of the show is being shot in Malta and revealed that he is hoping that the show will run for 80 hours, comparing it to the eight-season run of "Game of Thrones."

The audience is changing. The way that we're consuming stories is changing. Game of Thrones was really the first of these big, giant novelistic shows, and now with Foundation we can tell the story hopefully over the course of 80 episodes, 80 hours, as opposed to trying to condense it all into two or three hours for a single film.

He added that he hopes future seasons will continue to be mostly shot in Malta. Malta was selected for much of Foundation's shooting schedule for its "copious water tanks," being appropriate for Foundation's water planet setting, and due to being suitably versatile for shooting a range of environments during a time in which global travel has been limited. Malta's Film Commissioner, Johann Grech, highlighted that Foundation is the first Apple TV+ show to be produced in Malta.

This is the first time that a senior crew member has spoken publicly about an Apple TV+ show running for such a long period of time, and seems surprisingly confident given that the first season of Foundation has yet to even finish shooting.

"Dickinson" and "Servant" are the only Apple TV+ shows to have premiered a second season so far, with the second season of "For All Mankind" set to arrive on Friday, February 19. Apple TV+ show "Ted Lasso" is highly likely to end at three seasons despite its success with critics and audiences. The show was renewed for a second and a third season not long after the first season was released. Servant has also been renewed for a third season.

Given that only two Apple TV+ shows have premiered second seasons and been renewed for third seasons, it is far too early to speculate on whether Foundation will reach as many as eight seasons. Nevertheless, discussion of a considerably longer, overarching narrative than has otherwise been seen on Apple TV+ so far, and comparison to the highly successful Game of Thrones may indicate that Apple has very ambitious plans for Foundation.

The first, ten-episode season of Foundation is expected to debut on Apple TV+ in the fall of 2021.

Article Link: 'Foundation' Showrunner Hopes for Unparalleled 80 Episodes on Apple TV+

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I love the books...up there with Dune....hope they will do the story for all Foundation, Prelude to Foundation , forward the foundation and at least foundation and empire

This is the beginning from where all star wars, dune etc started Foundation is the FATHER

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Malta was selected for much of Foundation's shooting schedule for its "copious water tanks," being appropriate for Foundation's water planet setting...
I'm not one to get upset for shows not following books to a T, but how much are they changing that requires a water planet? That seems like an unnecessary constraint considering none of the story has anything to do with water planets.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I love the books...up there with Dune....hope they will do the story for all Foundation, Prelude to Foundation , forward the foundation and at least foundation and empire

This is the beginning from where all star wars, dune etc started Foundation is the FATHER
For a true fan it will never be good enough; but it looks like a very serious attempt, so it might just be a good watch anyways. I'm very excited about it.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
As a child, I was like I want to make this movie! But it is a very difficult thing to condense this epic down to a few hours. I would happily embrace the 80-hour concept... but I'd hate to wait a whole year to see another episode.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple has done with this creative work.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Honestly, I'd rather they just stick with the original 3. Maybe do some occasional flashback type stuff to get some of the info from the prequels about how Seldon got started, but that's it. The prequels/sequels got too "Asimov Universe" for my taste and I wouldn't want to dilute the shows from really telling the story of the original trilogy.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Read the main trilogy and a few books beyond, this would be very interesting to see. Would Hari Seldon have predicted it?
Would he have predicted such a lame and obvious joke about him?

Yes, absolutely; I think that was one of the signs of a declining society that he actually used. No creativity etc.

(Sorry, j/k; I just thought this comment fit in too well with the subject. ?)

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Honestly, I'd rather they just stick with the original 3. Maybe do some occasional flashback type stuff to get some of the info from the prequels about how Seldon got started, but that's it. The prequels/sequels got too "Asimov Universe" for my taste and I wouldn't want to dilute the shows from really telling the story of the original trilogy.
yes, i was talking, not to do just 1 but at least 3...in 80 hours i dont know how much you can cover...80 hours seems just 1 book

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Would he have predicted such a lame and obvious joke about him?

Yes, absolutely; I think that was one of the signs of a declining society that he actually used. No creativity etc.

(Sorry, j/k; I just thought this comment fit in too well with the subject. ?)
he would've also predicted the grumpy MacRumors user's reply..... ?

(joking of course :) )

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Odd I've been a long time fan of Dune yet never heard of Foundation until Apple picked this up.

Honestly I thought this was a movie not a TV series and this I think was to be released this month so why does it seem there is 'hope' for 80 shows not signed and filming ?

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm not one to get upset for shows not following books to a T, but how much are they changing that requires a water planet? That seems like an unnecessary constraint considering none of the story has anything to do with water planets.
It's fine with me personally. The series started strong but went off the rails completely by the end. Asimov admitted as much. I don't know if they are planning to do the whole series but I'd be happy if they completely eschew the last couple of books and write something totally different which actually follows the original intent of the series.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
It's fine with me personally. The series started strong but went off the rails completely by the end. Asimov admitted as much. I don't know if they are planning to do the whole series but I'd be happy if they completely eschew the last couple of books and write something totally different which actually follows the original intent of the series.
That Asimov guy obviously wasn't a real fan. ?

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
With streaming the new delivery system it would be cool if shows could be in continuous production and not bother with "seasons" and release episodes continuously over a few years weekly or bi-weekly and taking some breaks for holidays and such... instead of 10 show bursts once a year.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
With streaming the new delivery system it would be cool if shows could be in continuous production and not bother with "seasons" and release episodes continuously over a few years weekly or bi-weekly and taking some breaks for holidays and such... instead of 10 show bursts once a year.
Production often isn't linear like that, though, so there's nothing to continuously release; at least not without them having the whole season ready, and then "artificially" delaying the release of each episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.