Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
It's David Goyer, the awesome writer of Terminator Dark Fate, Batman V Superman, Man of Steel, and Ghost Rider. Don't get your hopes up. He helped write Blade and Batman Begins but that was 15 years ago, everything he's done since has been garbage
Still better than the crap I would make if I tried; and I think the source material is more suitable for a fresh from-scratch interpretation, so I'm hopeful.

Reactions: bpeeps

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Uh. Right... but the story on Terminus takes place on the main island where the capitol is located, not in the bloody ocean that surrounds it.
It's in the middle of a pandemic and they found a safe place to make the damn thing, which coincidentally also makes it more accurate; and people are upset about that??

I honestly can't tell what's just stupid, trolling, or regular forum behaviour nowadays; all I know is that I've got a very strong urge to yell at kids to get off my lawn rn.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
The assumption seems to be that the 80 hours will be over 8 x 10 episode seasons and it does seem that most TV shows now have short 10-13 episode seasons. Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to 20+ episode seasons for TV shows? With increasing costs per episode, are studios just reluctant to take the financial risk to commit to long seasons? Are actors, particularly big name actors that prestige shows try to get, reluctant to commit the filming time needed for long seasons? Have writers determined that 10-13 episodes is the optimal length to tell a story arc? Is it something else?

Reactions: V.K.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
An 80 episodes target means one of two things.

1) It's going to be epic in every sense.
2) It's going to get cancelled on a cliffhanger and nothing is going to be resolved.

I'm hoping for 1.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Except a few posts above you is someone who wrote they read Dune but not Foundation. It is not as well known, and there is no reason to post open spoilers.
My point was “had the chance.” The reason you shouldn’t post spoilers is that people haven’t had the opportunity yet to see recent movies or shows. It’s not to protect them for 40 years from knowing the ending of a book they could have found time to read.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The assumption seems to be that the 80 hours will be over 8 x 10 episode seasons and it does seem that most TV shows now have short 10-13 episode seasons. Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to 20+ episode seasons for TV shows? With increasing costs per episode, are studios just reluctant to take the financial risk to commit to long seasons? Are actors, particularly big name actors that prestige shows try to get, reluctant to commit the filming time needed for long seasons? Have writers determined that 10-13 episodes is the optimal length to tell a story arc? Is it something else?
It’s hard to not have “filler” when you extend the seasons of these kinds of shows.

Reactions: jeremiah256

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
It’s hard to not have “filler” when you extend the seasons of these kinds of shows.
Personally I'm looking forward a lot of filler exploring the beautiful water landscapes of Terminus; I think that's an awesome opportunity to make the show more immersive than just having action all the time.

Reactions: BlueParadox

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Personally I'm looking forward a lot of filler exploring the beautiful water landscapes of Terminus; I think that's an awesome opportunity to make the show more immersive than just having action all the time.

It might be interesting to see how seldon actually got done what needed to get done, instead of asimov’s cursory ex post facto description. Maybe see whether the various key characters have actual character traits, etc. :)

Reactions: Donsabai

Donsabai

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Exciting! Not go a step further and produce 'The Hyperion Cantos'. And boldly go where no one has gone before.

Donsabai

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
It's fine with me personally. The series started strong but went off the rails completely by the end. Asimov admitted as much. I don't know if they are planning to do the whole series but I'd be happy if they completely eschew the last couple of books and write something totally different which actually follows the original intent of the series.
It's fine with me personally. The series started strong but went off the rails completely by the end. Asimov admitted as much. I don't know if they are planning to do the whole series but I'd be happy if they completely eschew the last couple of books and write something totally different which actually follows the original intent of the series.
Agreed. Will they Disneyfy this and have to include every planet biome in every episode. I am all for eye-candy but when I heard, "water planet" I was like, "Where did we ever get a 'water planet' as an important part of The Foundation Series? Nowhere to be exact.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Agreed. Will they Disneyfy this and have to include every planet biome in every episode. I am all for eye-candy but when I heard, "water planet" I was like, "Where did we ever get a 'water planet' as an important part of The Foundation Series? Nowhere to be exact.

Terminus is a water planet, and is pretty important in the Foundation Series. Would you prefer they film it in Nepal?

A.L.F.

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
I was a huge Foundation fan when I first read the trilogy and 'ancillary' books as a teenager. I'm excited to see a multi-season TV treatment, and hope it is done really well. I'm thinking that it may be a bigger challenge than GOT, as Foundation is somewhat more cerebral, with fewer opportunities for the kind of 'action' that made GOT so compelling.

Joey2250

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
With 80 episodes id like a prequel that covered the Escape short story. The one where the hyperspatial drive was invented, the afterlife was introduced, and a positronic brain went crazy. :D

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
You're the one that complained like this: "I'm not one to get upset for shows not following books to a T, but how much are they changing that requires a water planet?".

And now you've done a 180 and is complaining that they are sticking to closely to the books by getting the environment right…?
Wow...didn't mean to upset you, was just clarifying.

My point was that the all of the effort to film in this location implies that the story taking place on a water planet is important, and that maybe the changes they are making to the story require a water planet. In the books the fact that Terminus was a water planet was background info at best. So while yes they don't need to follow the books exactly, you can also change so much that you lose what made the books good in the first place. Are we going to have epic sea battles, the Foundation struggling to survive Terminus storms, Waterworld style floating villages? I just have concerns that making the water planet elements crucial to the story are going to dilute what could be a great show. These concerns could very well be unfounded, but I'm just curious why so much effort is being put toward recreating an element that seems so trivial in the grand scheme of the Foundation story.

Reactions: jeremiah256

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
In the books the fact that Terminus was a water planet was background info at best.
It was absolutely key, as the planet was chosen because basically it was considered worthless; not a lot of land with mining possibilities etc.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
My point was “had the chance.” The reason you shouldn’t post spoilers is that people haven’t had the opportunity yet to see recent movies or shows. It’s not to protect them for 40 years from knowing the ending of a book they could have found time to read.

That makes the assumption that everyone is quite old and has had "the opportunity" to read them, it might be "the last 40 years" for you, but for someone in their teens or 20s they might not have got around to reading every scifi/fantasy book ever written yet, or be aware of them because they are quite old books now.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Been waiting for this show since Apple launched ATV and gave us a sneak preview! The wait game has gone up a few notches

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I'd love to see a Robots TV series...
I think it would be great to get Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and The Robots of Dawn as a series. While I think seeing the all of the stories in all the related books would be cool, I think treating them as individual series would be better (maybe with someone handling cannon/continuity to keep things consistent).

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I think it would be great to get Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and The Robots of Dawn as a series. While I think seeing the all of the stories in all the related books would be cool, I think treating them as individual series would be better (maybe with someone handling cannon/continuity to keep things consistent).
You mean one season for each? I'd be down for it.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That makes the assumption that everyone is quite old and has had "the opportunity" to read them, it might be "the last 40 years" for you, but for someone in their teens or 20s they might not have got around to reading every scifi/fantasy book ever written yet, or be aware of them because they are quite old books now.

LOL. Ok. So nobody can ever talk about the plot of anything, even a book that was published 79 years ago (literally), because somebody may have just now reached “reading age” and we’d be spoiling the ending.

Sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.