Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164021-4gen_ipod_touch_teardown_3.jpg

One of the key pieces of information coming out of iFixit's fourth-generation iPod touch teardown is that that the device carries only 256 MB of RAM, the same as the iPhone 3GS and iPad but less than the 512 MB found in the iPhone 4. iFixit's Kyle Wiens has confirmed the new iPod touch's RAM to us.

As noted by John Gruber, the reduced RAM compared to the iPhone 4 is one of a number of ways Apple has been able to cut costs and to keep the iPod touch at reasonable price points. Without carrier subsidies, the iPhone 4 hardware would be priced at nearly double that of the "equivalent" iPod touch models and thus Apple has had to make some decisions about how to maintain its pricing for the iPod touch line. Among other differences for the iPod touch: a significantly lower-resolution rear camera than the iPhone 4, a lack of in-plane switching (IPS) technology for the display despite the "Retina" resolution, and a lack of GPS.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Offers Only 256 MB of RAM

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I predict HUGE negative numbers and comments. The article has it right, though. If it had 512, it would add significantly to the cost (and ultimately, what the consumer pays). Not what apple wants.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
It just keeps getting worse! Crappy camera, non IPS display, half the ram of iPhone 4.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
some people are just so dumb.. just stick to your 3rd gen... apple has introduced so many new features to the new ipod touch... be happy people.

Kidniki

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Its worse than you can imagine this thing is a marginal upgrade to the iTouch 3. I just fear for games that are made with the iPhone 4's specs in mind.

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Good,

the 256MB ram will extend the life of the 1st gen Ipad if newer hardware is coming out with the same RAM footprint.

Still doesn't make sense that neither Ipad or new Ipod touch came with more than 256MB though.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
That seals it for me, I'm not going to upgrade even though I sold a new 3rd gen yesterday.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It just keeps getting worse! Crappy camera, non IPS display, half the ram of iPhone 4.

and 1/2 the price of an unsubsidized iPhone 4... how dare they...

Still you would think there would be pricing room to maybe increase the ram in the versions with more storage.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
None of you will benefit with 512mb of ram.
Only reason why the iP4 has more ram is because of the 720p video recording.
Don't forget, even with multitasking, iOS apps rely on 32mb of ram.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I keep telling myself I should be happy with my 3G and wait till a 5G.

And then I think about the high-res display...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Good,

the 256MB ram will extend the life of the 1st gen Ipad if newer hardware is coming out with the same RAM footprint.

Still doesn't make sense that neither Ipad or new Ipod touch came with more than 256MB though.

i'd have to guess that since CPU manufacturing yields aren't perfect, the iphone gets the top notch stuff. ipad and ipod get the chips with defects which means they have to disable circuitry

back in the day when the Pentium Pro first came out with cache on the CPU die, yields were very low due to defects

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I went over to the apple store to check them out today, the screen is definitely somewhat inferior though to most people they won't look that different at normal viewing, black levels are definitely worse though but color seem about on par. It's still a big jump over the previous ipod touch screen just for the res increase.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
I keep telling myself I should be happy with my 3G and wait till a 5G.

And then I think about the high-res display...

I went from 3G to iPhone 4. HUGE improvement. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.