Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123922-4gen_ipod_touch_oblique_500.jpg

Engadget notes that Apple's new iPod touch introduced yesterday has appeared on the website of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Along with other standard information on radiation emissions required by the FCC for approval, the documents contain a series of internal and external photos of the device, which will not be making its way into the hands of consumers until next week.
Here, the FCC got its greasy paws on the new Retina Display-packing iPod touch, aka "Apple A1367," and in the gallery below you can see exactly where Cupertino keeps that A4 processor, 3.44 watt-hour battery, internal antenna, and 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz WiFi.
Engadget's gallery of images from the FCC's site shows how Apple has been able to pack the iPod touch's internals into an increasingly thin form factor now checking in at just 0.28 inches thick. Also included are shots at various stages of disassembly, as well as several individual parts.

123922-4gen_ipod_touch_interior_500.jpg

We'll likely have to wait until next week for teardown experts like those at iFixit to get their hands on the device and rip it apart to perform complete analyses of the components found inside, but the FCC's photos provide an interesting first look inside the new iPod touch.

123922-4gen_ipod_touch_chips_500.jpg

Engadget also notes that the FCC has posted documents relating to the new Apple TV, but that photos of the device are not included. According to a letter included with the documentation, Apple has requested confidentiality on such photos for a period of 180 days.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Teardown Photos Posted by FCC

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'm dying to see how and why they omitted the black plastic piece, and just went with an all metal back. How is this achieved? Same sort of iPhone 4 perimeter antenna, instead near the iPod Touch screen's gasket?

Liquidmetal rear would be an interesting one. Already ordered one, so definitely interesting to see how or of this rear is different.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
iFixit are busy looking for tweezers small enough to pick up the camera:rolleyes:

I'll be getting one come Monday morning... :)

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Lame, I'm a bit disappointed it looks like that. I was hoping for the same look as the iphone 4, there should have been a white version aswell..

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
I noticed that there isn't the black plastic cutout for the wi-fi, like in previous versions. Anyone know where the wi-fi receiver is on this device?

Appleoholic

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Northern Europe
Engadget also notes that the FCC has posted documents relating to the new Apple TV, but that photos of the device are not included. According to a letter included with the documentation, Apple has requested confidentiality on such photos for a period of 180 days.

Why? Because they don't want us to see the tech inside?

iFixit will tear it down soon anyway, so... :D

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
Lame, I'm a bit disappointed it looks like that. I was hoping for the same look as the iphone 4, there should have been a white version aswell..

I be mighty pissed if they came out with a white iPod Touch before the white iPhone. My guess is :apple: wanted to differenciate the iPhone from the Touch. Besides, you'd be less likely to get mugged if the criminal sees that you have the latter (based on gut feeling).;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised they have again gone for the old fashioned curved back look.

I was fully expecting they would have gone with the more modern iPhone4 style of case, even if they had a sheet of hard plastic, rather than glass, on the back.

It looks a few years old already to me.

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
It always kinda makes me cringe to see a perfectly good piece of kit get tore up. Oh, well. At least it ain't mine. :)

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm dying to see how and why they omitted the black plastic piece, and just went with an all metal back. How is this achieved? Same sort of iPhone 4 perimeter antenna, instead near the iPod Touch screen's gasket?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad the black piece is gone, since it made the back look ugly, but I don't see how the ipod will get reception now.

I really hope there is no antenna gate type controversy where if you touch the back or sides in a certain way you lose your wifi reception.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

Liquidmetal rear would be an interesting one. Already ordered one, so definitely interesting to see how or of this rear is different.
It's possible that the entire stainless steel back is the WiFi antenna.

Another idea is that the antenna is the thin metal bezel next to the glass screen, but it's hard to tell from the images on the Apple website if this is a separate piece or simply a molded design element.

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I appreciate the responsible reporting. Notably the use of photos that are publicly available and not from some lost piece of proprietary equipment.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I thought the mic was on the bottom.

Probably an LED to indicate the video camera is on.

s.
I seem to remember the speaker at least venting a large portion of sound from the dock connector. The pinhole microphone would be appropriate next to the aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.