Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-4-back-glass-250x143.jpg
Taiwanese manufacturer Foxconn is developing glass casings and OLED displays for smartphones in an attempt to secure orders for the tenth-anniversary iPhone next year, according to Japanese website Nikkei.

The report claims Foxconn has been developing glass chassis for at least one year, and developing its own OLED display technologies through its Sharp acquisition. It would be competing with Samsung, and China's Biel Crystal and Lens Technology, to win orders.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple will switch to non-aluminum casing, with glass being the most likely candidate, for the majority of new iPhone models in 2017. Kuo and multiple other sources also expect next year's iPhone to have a thinner and lighter OLED display in a move away from LCDs. Earlier reports said Samsung would be a primary supplier of OLED panels for future iPhones.

Samsung's Galaxy S7 sets the benchmark for OLED-based smartphones, and makes a strong case for Apple's rumored shift towards the display technology. iPhones have used various LCD display technologies since the original model launched in 2007, but OLED panels are often thinner, brighter, and more energy efficient than their LCD counterparts. The technology, however, can be more expensive to produce.

Apple's tenth-anniversary iPhone is shaping up to be a significant upgrade, compared to the relatively incremental refresh expected from this year's iPhone 7. The rumored switch to glass casing and OLED display will mark the first major overhaul of Apple's smartphone since the iPhone 6 launched in late 2014, given that this year's iPhone is expected to retain an iPhone 6s-like design.

Article Link: Foxconn Developing Glass Casing and OLED Displays Ahead of Tenth-Anniversary iPhone

Reactions: scapegoat81

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
One month before the iPhone 7 launches...Apple must be hating these rumors: "Here are a bunch of reasons why you should skip this year's."

What if all the current design leaks were fake and this is going to be iPhone 7?
Why would they redesign an S model?

They are moving away from the two-year cycle. It won't be called the 7S. Maybe 8, X, or just "iPhone."

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
iPhone 4 2.0? I will say, iPhone 4 was my first iphone and honestly, it has been my favorite so far.

I have to agree, it was my first iPhone too. I was about 14 years old and I'd saved all the money I had to buy one. Walking out of the Apple Store with one of those boxes in my hand is something I'd dreamed of for ages.

When that thing got announced, the world gasped. It was unlike anything we'd seen before with a totally new way of designing and constructing mobile devices out of premium materials. Regardless of antenna-gate, that thing was amazing. Not to mention it was the first smartphone with a display of the resolution, everyone was talking about how 'crystal clear' Retina was. I can hear Steve Jobs right now saying, "You cannot see the pixels!"

I'm looking forward to next year's iPhone to see what they have in store for us after the snore fest of the past 3 years.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I imagine the pill design of the iPhone 6 but all-glass. I would also love an all-glass curved iPad!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Unless there is some super improvement in material, an all glass iphone, although beautiful, will crack more easily, be heavier and probably be less water resistant. I am okay with the current model, but would love an all black or even the deep blue color.

Reactions: 44267547

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I'm very interested to see how Apple handles this year's iPhone announcement. Expecting damage control to be at 100%.

Reactions: Col4bin

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Updating this fall on my 2-year contract cycle - looking forward to the refined 2018 model - the 2018 model will be THE beast with BOTH design and internals.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
What if all the current design leaks were fake and this is going to be iPhone 7?
Why would they redesign an S model?

While that would be an extraordinary feat on Apple's part, I highly doubt these rumours concern this year's iPhone. Logistically, it would be nearly impossible for Apple to pull off diverting the majority of the public through false leaks while keeping the true information under wraps. Expect this year's device to be called the iPhone 6SE or something similar, and next year's to be called the iPhone 7, iPhone 10th Anniversary Edition, or just the "iPhone."

Morrile

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
In an Apartment
I shall wait until it's been officially released before getting excited as much will change between now and then. Speculating only feeds disappointment when what you thought is compared to what actually is released.

Reactions: Col4bin and Mousse

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Apple did something similar to this in 2012 with the introduction of "the New iPad" (aka the iPad, 3rd gen with retina display.) Six months later - breaking the year-long release cycle for the first and only time - the 4th generation was released and was much improved. I'm one of those suckers who bought the 3rd gen. Never again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.