Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's largest manufacturing partner Foxconn is offering "record-high" signing bonuses in an effort to recruit workers for iPhone 13 production over the next few months, according to the South China Morning Post.

Untitled.jpg
‌iPhone 13‌ Pro in Matte Black render via EverythingApplePro

The report claims Foxconn is offering up to 8,000 yuan ($1,235) as a signing bonus to former workers willing to return to its Zhengzhou, China factory to assist with iPhone assembly during the "peak season," up from 5,500 yuan last month and 5,000 yuan in 2020. Workers will receive their bonuses after working for Foxconn's iPhone assembly division for four months and staying until the end of the peak season, the report adds.

Apple manufacturers like Foxconn commonly offer signing bonuses in the months leading up to an iPhone launch, but this year's bonus range for returning workers is the highest since the Zhengzhou factory started operations in 2010, according to the South China Morning Post's review of past recruitment ads from Foxconn.

Apple is increasingly expected to unveil the iPhone 13 lineup in September, marking a return to its usual launch timeframe after unveiling the iPhone 12 lineup in October 2020 due to reported COVID-19-related production delays.

iPhone 13 models are rumored to feature a smaller notch at the top of the display, but otherwise they are expected to have a similar design as their iPhone 12 counterparts. Other key new features expected include a faster A15 chip, a 120Hz refresh rate on the Pro models, several camera upgrades, a new Matte Black color, and more.

Article Link: Foxconn Offers 'Record-High' Bonuses to Recruit Workers for iPhone 13 Assembly

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Heh……these “bonuses” will evaporate like nothing in the region where the factory is located, unless you are willing to live a poor life. Good luck trying to hire enough workers.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The key point is completely ignored. What is the reason for having to offer record high bonuses:

Is there a labour shortage in that region?

Do fewer people want to work in that facility for reasons which could include poor treatment, abusive supervision, forced overtime, no time off, bad food, bad accommodation etc.? None of these reasons may be applicable but we don't know based on what Macrumours has told us or based on incomplete reporting by the South China Post.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The key point is completely ignored. What is the reason for having to offer record high bonuses:

Do fewer people want to work in that facility for reasons which could include poor treatment, abusive supervision, forced overtime, no time off, bad food, bad accommodation etc.? None of these reasons may be applicable but we don't know based on what Macrumours has told us or based on incomplete reporting by the South China Post.
I'd guess coronavirus is somehow the reason. Potential workers may be concerned about it spreading easily within the factory. Whether their fears are rational or not is besides the point - fear may be requiring greater incentives than normal to bring in workers.

Reactions: Kengineer

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013

I would assume it has something to do with the mandatory overtime they force on workers or the fact the conditions are so bad they had to install suicide nets. Doesn't seem like a place you would want to work at...

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
I had to visit Zhengzhou a few times for work.

The recurring thought while I was there was "why would anyone live here?"

It's poor, there's nothing of interest in the city, it's dirty, polluted, everything is cheap and of low quality.

So I'm not surprised Foxconn are having difficulty getting people to move there.

Last edited:

TheYayAreaLiving

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada

It's poor, there's nothing of interest in the city, it's dirty, polluted, everything is cheap and of low quality.

So I'm not supposed Foxconn are having difficulty getting people to move there.
Share some pictures, if you can please.

🙏

TheYayAreaLiving

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada

It’s probably because they have lots of $$$ to offer to the workers. Beating the earnings every quarter lately.

Reactions: aesc80 and Premium1

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I'd guess coronavirus is somehow the reason. Potential workers may be concerned about it spreading easily within the factory. Whether their fears are rational or not is besides the point - fear may be requiring greater incentives than normal to bring in workers.
Agree. Maybe a combination of 2020 fallout and not wanting to work for crap wages. In my area help wanted signs are everywhere, and many of them display starting wages on the same sign.

There’s a popular local restaurant in my area that has a second restaurant set up and ready to open, but cannot hire enough people to run it. Seems right now is the best time to be picky if you’re looking for a job.

IllinoisCorn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2021

So I'm not supposed Foxconn are having difficulty getting people to move there.
Oh my God things are different in a non-western part of the world. You don't say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.