FoxNews says Iphone "Bait & Switch" !!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delta608, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

2. RobUM macrumors newbie

FoxNews.... 'nuff said...

EDIT: Although this is kinda true :(

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

OR how about they stopped making them in anticipation of the new generation?

err

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wow, $240 is bigger than $200. That's news? What's tomorrow's news: "A ton of feathers vs a ton of bricks. What weighs more? The answer may surprise you."

The 3G service is what costs more, not the iPhone. We very well could have had $499 iPhone plus $79.99 per month and people would have still bought it.

I appreciate Fox news doing the math for everyone, but to convey the message in such a scandalous light is just... well, I guess typical Fox.

5. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

This is good news. Seeing as the iPhone hasn't actually been released yet, nothing is truly set in stone. Well... even if it was released, things still wouldn't be set in stone.

Anyway, if this story breaks out onto other news sites/papers/shows, it could very well be the pressure needed to cause a change at At&t. I am pretty doubtful, but negative press is not what At&t, nor Apple, want at this time. They don't need their "wonderful" new price being obliterated by the news for the minor details.

I have clearly stated the $30 data plan doesn't bother me because it is what I already pay, but I am not stupid enough to not want cheaper if I can get it. This could turn out very interesting...

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

tommorows news will probally be more obomma bashing etc the normal fox biased news crap

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna say a ton of feathers. Because, you know, the birds are still attached and stuff... ;)

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm glad someone pointed it out in the media. It's not news if you do the math, but not everybody does. Steve Jobs also made a big deal about making it more affordable/cheaper. Well, it's not. I haven't even heard a hint of a cheaper data plan. What if you live in an area without 3G? That's like making dial-up customers pay $40/month just like DSL customers because it's, like, the Internet.

The more I learn about this, the more I realize that when the communications company gets the upper hand, the more things stink like hell. I can't wait to see them try to raise the rate on old iPhones through some sneaky tactic.

9. RobUM macrumors newbie

Yea but birds have hollow bones and stuff so they can fly, so they don't really weigh much...so I say a ton of bricks... :p

/joke

10. Surely Guest

Surely

No, the overall cost is what costs more. That's what matters. What does it matter if you say it's for the 3G service or if it's for the iPhone or if it's for some supplementary fee. They're just shifting the cost from the initial price to the monthly fees. Bottom line is that in total, you're actually paying more than before.

Also keep in mind that you'll need to pay another $5/month for 200 text messages. Currently, that is part of the $20/month data plan. So if you want the data and the texts, it's $15/month more.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea! Screw Obama! Go O'Reilly! Hahahaa :D

13. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Read the other posters here - what Fox is stating is FACT. Leave your Obamanisms at home.

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yes, pre-discount the new iphone costs about the same as the old one with contract. The discounts now purportedly work with the new contracts, making it cost less.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yeah, I shudder to think what will happen to my current monthly rate when my AT&T contract expires next year. I don't want to pay an extra $15 a month.

16. Baron58 macrumors 6502

While I feel that the rate plan changes should have been more clearly disclosed during the keynote alongside the iPhone price changes, I really don't give a rat's ass what Faux News has to say about anything.

/and neither should anyone else, IMO.

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Eh, I only have a problem that Fox has the same problem of disclosing all the information. They didn't disclose why the rate plans changed and what that entails. They just tried to off it as some sort of conspiracy to screw us.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

QFT! :D

19. Delta608 thread starter macrumors regular

Delta608

Except if you had read it a bit more closely, they were quoting the DNC press, or the Associated Press regarding the pricing.

"In a classic bait-and-switch, AT&T is raising its minimum monthly service subscription for the new iPhone from $60 to $70 per month, according to the Associated Press".

20. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

You know what they say about opinions don't you - everyone has one :D

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

Fox reports the actual news just fine. This story has no bias in it at all, really. But when prime time rolls around, Bill brings out the bias. But then again, show me a network that has no bias... You just think differently than him, move along.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

So? They didn't disclose all the information. I'm not defending the AP saying Fox is worse that the New York Times. I'm saying they did as good of a job explaining the rate plans as Apple.

Read people's posts and respond to individuals. Don't just spout useless talking points.

23. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Amen.

Regardless what you think about FoxNews. The fact is it costs more than before.

You can't go around saying it's cheaper when it's not. That my friends is what some of us call lying. :rolleyes:

24. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Actually, it is cheaper for me. With the discount I'm now going to get most likely the rate plan is $0.50 cheaper per month and the phone is $200 cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.