Free AT&T 3G Microcell signal booster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buckely, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Buckely macrumors newbie

I just got a voucher in the mail from AT&T offering to give me a free 3G Microcell which helps boost your wireless signal inside your home. Did anyone else get the same thing? I just have to walk into the at&t store and they will give it to me.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Oooh! What did it look like? So I don't throw mine away :eek:

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I would check to see it there is a monthly service charge.

If it sounds to good to be true, it generally is.

4. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Never got one of those. Did you recently complain to AT&T about issues regarding your signal around your home area?

5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

it has a huge monthly charge but its woth it if u have no service

6. tnisatard macrumors 6502

is a rebate? i know they give it to you for free if you sign up for at least 1.5 mbps internet and sign up for a monthly plan

7. draz macrumors 6502a

I would say that you have to subscribe to a service such as Unlimited Microcell Calling in order to get the Microcell device free, or something else AT&T related like their U-Verse High Speed Internet in order to get the 3G MicroCell free.

Read the fine print

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Picture please - or it's not real. That's all I am saying. :p

9. CT1stMaxedOut09 macrumors member

I wish that they would send that to me... I would probaly switch my enthernet service providers asap as Comcast is starting to be way to slow for me at the moment.

10. Sc24evr macrumors member

You are all Wrong. There are two payment plans. One is $150 upfront one timem fee but you don't get free calls from your house or another one where you pay something around $50 and have to pay $20 a month fo unlimited from your House. I bought it full just for signal strength and it work s pretty good. I wouldn't go for the unlimited plan unless you work out of your house and call a large range of people from different networks. I have my 900 plan with my favorite 5 non att people for free and I'm still way within my minutes.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

So let me get this right. If you don't have AT&T signal at home, AT&T will send you a device that will make it so you can have service and then they charge you for it?

12. Vol7ron macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

Only if you choose to allow it to not cut into your minutes. Otherwise it is the one time fee

The way it works is simple...it takes your calls and routes it through the internet. Same as Verizon and Sprint's devices. AT&T goes further buy saying that if you pay a monthly fee, any phone usage on that device will not count against your monthly Cell minutes.

13. nateharr macrumors 6502

And it still goes through AT&T's servers and whatnot, you it's not purely your internet service that ups your bars.

It makes since. But if AT&T was smart, they'd send these out to all their existing customers that qualify. It would seriously help the service as a whole.

14. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Obviously, it's real. There's a massive thread on the 3G MicroCell tower on this board.

15. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

16. draz macrumors 6502a

17. pugnut macrumors 6502a

There is no monthly service charge if you do not buy a plan. If you have no plan you use your existing plan minutes.

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Spoke to someone at business care and he didn't know anything about this. I guess i'll have to wait and see if we get anything in the mail.

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's what I heard too. The other option is like $10-15 a month and not use your minutes.

20. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

Be nice if I got the same letter. I pay over $220 a month for my family plan.

21. jhuang macrumors member

Anybody in the Bay Area get one yet? My house signal sucks. It used to be great (5 bars all the time and 0 bars for any other carrier) but now it's always dropping calls and breaking up. We've been with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for nearly a decade. I wonder how they choose customers who receive this.

22. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Interesting. Hopefully there's some official word on the prerequisites to get this because I pay around $350 a month for my family plan, have been with AT&T 10 years, and have yet to receive this!

Steve

23. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I also have a home in the bay area with terrible coverage. So many tree's and hills... There are no cell towers near the ocean so it's 0-1 bars.

24. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Just opened my mail (the stuff that came in on Friday)... and I have a free voucher sitting on my kitchen table now haha... I'll be going to pick up my microcell tomorrow from att and then selling it, as I already own one lol... wonder how much I'll get from it?

I got my current one for $75 from a friend at att so maybe I'll at least break even.

On a side note... I have no idea why I got one, but to help others, I have 2 accounts, one with 5 iphones, one with 1... I only pay about $220/month for my line with 5 phones with all my discounts currently applied...

My line with 1 phone DID NOT receive a letter... but everything is the same basically, started same date, same credit card, etc etc, just less phones on that plan... not sure if that matters or not.

Oh yeah, for those that were asking, it is not a mail in rebate or anything, it's just literally a free voucher with a barcode on the bottom, you walk into the store, they hand you a free microcell.

25. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

My family & I have been with AT&T since it was Cingular, but we have NEVER had signal at (nor within one mile of) our home. I wonder if AT&T would give us a Microcell for free, considering we have 3 iPhones & 1 BlackBerry on our plan. It's worth checking into.

Before anyone asks about why I haven't switched to a different phone company: none of the major cell phone companies will give me service at my home. I live in the boondocks, & the only companies that would work are NTelos, & some crappy local company. :p