Free iPhone back replacements...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Jun 24, 2011.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

So I've heard that if the back of your iPhone 4 gets scratched, you can bring it into an Apple store and they will replace the back of the iPhone for free, but only once, and after that one time, the back replacements will then cost $29 every time you want it replaced.

Is this true? Do they actually do this?

The back of my iPhone 4 has a couple of semi-deep scratches and if I can get a free back replacement that'd be great!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, they will replace it for $29 but only sometimes they will do it for free if its your first time (and depending on the mood of the Genius employee).

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That is not true; however, you might get a free replacement back if you get lucky.

4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I see, but the price for a replacement actually is $29, correct?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct

6. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Awesome... now I just need to find a Genius that will do it for me for free. ;)

7. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Why does everyone want everything free? If it means that much to you, can't you just pay the $29 for it? That's not that much, IMO.

8. flipster macrumors 6502a

It's still a matter of $30 that can go toward something else, or free.Half the time the geniuses give you a free replacement. 99% of people choose free... why wouldn't you?

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Well if the iphone is in the warranty I believe he deserves it for free. And well, if they do give them for free sometimes, you find yourself thinking "why not me?" :)

10. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

wtf how is scratching the back of your phone warranty? He should put a case on it. You lot are such cheap asses. I paid £25 for my cracked one to be replaced.

11. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Good for you, but how can you complain at people wanting something for free. Of course you'd rather have something for free rather than pay for it. Worth a shot..

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Not to be a jerk... but the warranty does not cover wear and tear.

However, that being said... I think the back does get damaged WAY too easily. One "feature" that I'd like to see in the next iPhone that people don't talk about.. is for them to use the same glass in the back as the front. The phones would hardly show any wear (if not dropped).

But no, I don't think that's Apple's responsibility, as some people treat their phone like ****. If it's that important, spend the $30.

13. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I wish I could just buy a back for $30... because I want to see if I can get the paint off to make the back clear. I bought a clear one online, but the fit is not as good and it's SLIGHTLY thicker.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You can...oem part. Google it.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

This is right a long the lines of posters who claim that people who get Apps free while jailbreaking are wrong. Im sure they feel teh same way YOU do about getting a free back replaced. In the words of those who say pay for your Apps....pay for your back. YOU are the one who scratched it! That isnt part of the warranty.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

when has a warranty ever covered YOU scratching your phone? Apple isn't responsible for that. They replaced 3G's and 3GS' with cracked backs because the phones were predisposed to crack due to the way they were molded...that was apple's fault. You throwing your phone in your pocket with keys is not. Phones scratch. That's the way things are.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Deserve what,a free replacement for something they themselves damaged? This is what I don't get, if I took my phone out of the box and the glass was broken, I'd expect something for free. If I had my phone on the table and the glass broke, I'd expect a free replacement. If I carry my phone around without a case in my pockets and used it like a normal device (which I do) I'm not surprised nor do I feel like I deserve a free replacement because it's my doing. Seriously, you did this to your phone, why should Apple be under any obligation to fix it for free?

18. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

It doesn't mean that much to me, but if there's a chance I can get it free, I am definitely going to try and get it for free. Also, $29 may not seem like much, but I'm turning 16, don't have a job, will be taking driving lessons and such (cost $600+, plus I need to buy a car, get insurance and other necessary things), so for me, every dollar counts at the moment.

Normally, if I wasn't doing all of this stuff, I'd happily shell out $29, but with the things I'm currently planning on doing, I'm trying to save as much as I can. Hope that explains it a bit more. I'm not just trying to be cheap lol. :)

19. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I do have a case on it and have had a case on it since the day I got it, but I bought this iPhone used (the front glass of the iPhone is brand new, the back glass is a bit scratched up).

20. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

for $30? hmm.... thanks, I'll check it out.

21. cssvt macrumors newbie

Another way of paying for those things is by not having a $100 unnecessary smart phone plan.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this as it gets brought up on these phone forums too much, but:

I swear, the thing I'm amazed by most as a new DC resident is the middle and high school tourist groups. The number of kids who don't have jobs yet still have iPhones and Blackberries simply boggles my mind. They call MY generation (I'm 23) generation ME but I can tell you that I don't know many people who had smart phones before college. I felt lucky when I got a camera phone....

22. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Possibly the dumbest question i've ever heard. Why do people want free stuff?? Seriously?? If you have to ask i'm afriad you'll too thick to understand. Not everyone is Mark Cuban.:rolleyes:

23. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

My smartphone plan only costs an additional $30 for the data plan and my parents pay for it (and I'm very thankful that they do), and as for middle and high school students having smartphones, it's pretty common nowadays. Almost all of my friends have smartphones and the majority of them do not have jobs. I too was happy when I got my first camera phone, but things are a changin' lol.

24. flipster macrumors 6502a

This. Had my first smartphone when I was 13 (sidekick LX, that was was ****ing awesome).

Anyway, I am the same age as him, and am turning 16 also in September. Every dollar counts (parents pay the $30 for me too). I actually use the phone a lot while I'm in school, (eg. Google Translate instead of looking through an italian dictionary). Saves me a lot of time, and helps out a lot. I also use it to as an agenda book (honors student -.-), and for notes. It can be really helpful.

(I can't find a job either) :(

25. truciet macrumors 6502

wow i never knew about the replacement offered in store. thanks for sharing!