Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Wow. Does this mean updates are imminent? Don't they do this when they want to clear stock? They did it with the minis and nanos.

updates most likely in september right after promotion ends. Apple has been doing september updates for iPods for the past few years.

aaple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
upgrade to 16GB or 32GB?

Hmm...would you be able to use the rebate towards the purchase of a 16GB or 32GB Touch? I'd be willing to shell out the extra $100 for a 16GB...

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Sweet, i was going to by an MBP this summer. Now all I have to do is to get one of my student and/or professor friends to order it for me

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
OK, I've never participated in one these promotions before.

How exactly does it work, of course you gotta pay for the computer right there, but do you also have to pay the $299 for the Touch and then send in a rebate? or do they apply a $299 credit towards the price of the touch?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Bought my iMac for almost a month now with educational discount. It's time for a notebook with this kind of deal. Wait.. I have a 2nd gen iPod nano, 8GB iPod touch, and 10GB 2nd gen iPod. okay, none of this make any sense.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
While this is indeed a compelling promotion, I just gotta say I'm not at all satisfied with the iPod on the iPhone, and therefore would recommend against an iPod touch.

I have many criticisms, but the main one is the lack of the "clickwheel" for scrolling through a track or podcast. Ratings is nearly impossible to finger correctly, and mis-taps when doing so wind up jumping out of the playlist and onto track one of whatever CD the current song is on. The coverflow thing is indeed clever, but it coverflows the whole collection, not the current playlist as iTunes does.

I wish it'd be consistent with the old iPods or at least iTunes.

Humblebee

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
Florida
This is fantastic. I've been waiting months to get a mbp. I've saved up and waited for the acceptance letter, then saved up and waited some more for the summer deal, and finally it's all come together!

Why am I not considered a student to apple? I am going into the 10th grade, I am a considered a student by everyone, but not to apple. I have a valid student ID, but still I am not considered a student, because I don't attend college, yet. Apple really needs to apply their student discount to high school students!!!:mad: End Rant.

I'm pretty sure the student discounts go through the colleges, that is, the colleges probably have to pay something, or Apple has a deal with them (makes the colleges promote them or something of the sort). High schools are, for the most part, public and state-run, so they probably don't see giving them discounts anymore to their advantage than giving everyone discounts.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America

How exactly does it work, of course you gotta pay for the computer right there, but do you also have to pay the $299 for the Touch and then send in a rebate? or do they apply a $299 credit towards the price of the touch?

You've got to pay for it right then and there, at the time of purchase, pay both at the same time, mail in the rebate later.

syavno

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
Is this offer good for Apple Canada (ie. Apple.ca)

Is this offer good for Apple Canada (ie. Apple.ca)?

aaple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
I forsee a lot of students opting for the Nanos..... What with the smaller size of the Nano as opposed to the not much higher capacity Touch along with it's considerably larger size.

No way...I would guess anyone without an iPhone will choose the Touch. Students love cool, flashy, new stuff (I would know, I am one). iPhone owners might pick the nano, however. That's probably why the nano is included.

JAYGEE

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
UK
I'm planning to buy an iPod Touch in the next month. It's a shame I'm not due to buy a new Mac, as I bought my Macbook last June, so I wont be able to get this offer :(

teebs

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
In the ocean and on a mountain
wow, looks like a great deal. I'll need a new machine for this coming school year and will most likely go with this deal but there is a small part of me that wants to wait for an update, oh well, time will tell.

marcj

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You have to pay for everything up front, fill in a form (picked up from the store or printed from the website), cut out the serial number from the box of the Touch in this case, stick it in an envelope with the form and send it off. In 6 weeks or so the money will appear in the account you give them.

I've done it with a printer and iPod, the printer ended up costing £0 and the iPod nano about £20 I think - it's a very good deal.

davisac

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Only College?

I remember looking at the details of last years one. (apple has a pdf file somewhere) and it seemed to mention other students not only college. yes/no/maybe?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I forsee a lot of students opting for the Nanos..... What with the smaller size of the Nano as opposed to the not much higher capacity Touch along with it's considerably larger size.

Why opt for the Nano, when you can get the touch, sell it, buy a Nano and have cash left over?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.