Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
NOOO. My MBP came on Friday. Am I screwed?

As long as it wasn't a special config order, you can carry your MBP to an Apple store after they announce the promotion and return it, then purchase it again with the iPod. The promotion simply requires the iPod and CPU must be purchase together on the same receipt. (at least that's how it's been done in the past)

If it was special order, you must return to the Apple Store online, and you'll pay a restocking fee and possibly loose out on upgrades you purchased. Apple online generally refuses to accept RAM once it's been installed.

Your best bet is to go to a physical Apple store. Ask for a manager and explain it to them.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
OK, I've never participated in one these promotions before.

How exactly does it work, of course you gotta pay for the computer right there, but do you also have to pay the $299 for the Touch and then send in a rebate? or do they apply a $299 credit towards the price of the touch?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

That's exactly right. You essentially buy both products together at full price. You then get to submit a rebate for the price of the iPod, up to a maximum. Last year that maximum was $199, so even if you bought a full-sized iPod, it only cost you $50 after rebate.

aaple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Could you ditch the iPod and get a discount from the computer (short of flogging the iPod)?

Nope...at least it hasn't been allowed in the past promotions from what I've read. You'd have to sell the thing. I imagine there will be quite a few more Touches on eBay once this thing kicks off.

marcj

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Could you ditch the iPod and get a discount from the computer (short of flogging the iPod)?

Nope, not to date anyway. There are lots of T&C's and the discount always applies to a very limited part of the product range.

Selling it on ebay is a good idea, as long as the buyer doesn't mind a hole in the box.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Is this offer good for Apple Canada (ie. Apple.ca)?
Most likely, yes.

Regarding the iPhone Software Update 2.0, my guess is that Apple won't be charging an upgrade fee for iPod touch owner, even though Steve Jobs did say that there's going to be a "nominal fee". The main highlight of the upcoming software update is the App Store, a major revenue stream for Apple. A fee imposed on a software update is definitely going to turn away some potential App Store customers.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This is confusing: you either get $299 off the iPod Touch or $199 off an iPod Nano. Where's the extra $100 if you get an iPod Nano? Also, in past years, can get the $199 off a higher priced iPod. Can you still do that, or is it only for these models? Maybe Apple's clearing inventory?

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
While this is indeed a compelling promotion, I just gotta say I'm not at all satisfied with the iPod on the iPhone, and therefore would recommend against an iPod touch.

I have many criticisms, but the main one is the lack of the "clickwheel" for scrolling through a track or podcast. Ratings is nearly impossible to finger correctly, and mis-taps when doing so wind up jumping out of the playlist and onto track one of whatever CD the current song is on. The coverflow thing is indeed clever, but it coverflows the whole collection, not the current playlist as iTunes does.

I wish it'd be consistent with the old iPods or at least iTunes.

I'm with you! The touchscreen interface on the touch is a step back compared with the ease of using the wheel interface on the classic. Add that with the fact that the phone part is terrible on the iPhone and I'm not so sure I'll be getting another iPhone when my current one breaks. It will be nice if they correct a few of these issues in v2.

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
This is indeed exciting. I've been planning for the last 8 weeks to get a new iMac and iPod touch when the discount started, but I was expecting to have to pay the difference in price between the top end nano and the touch.

I think this makes it fairly clear that Apple are clearing out 8gb iPod Touch stock. I may be tempted to pay the difference for a 16GB, if that option is available.

To answer questions posted in this thread, in no particular order:

I think it's fairly conclusive that the Macbook Air will be included in the Promotion.

You have to pay for the iPod and iMac, then send in a rebate for the PRE-TAX value of the iPod (i.e. you still have to pay the taxes on it).

History indicates the promotion will be available in Canada, and the amount of the rebate scales with the price difference of the product.

However, I'm going to wait an extra week until WWDC...just in case they release an xMac (tiny faint glimmer of hope!).

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
This is confusing: you either get $299 off the iPod Touch or $199 off an iPod Nano. Where's the extra $100 if you get an iPod Nano? Also, in past years, can get the $199 off a higher priced iPod. Can you still do that, or is it only for these models? Maybe Apple's clearing inventory?

Yes, it is confusing. I'm betting it's bad info. My guess is Apple will do the same as in the past...$199 off any iPod (not to exceed the price of the iPod of course), which would make the touch $99, which is awesome in itself. If they offer the touch for free, why wouldn't you take it? They either REALLY want to push the touch or it's bad info.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
As long as it wasn't a special config order, you can carry your MBP to an Apple store after they announce the promotion and return it, then purchase it again with the iPod. The promotion simply requires the iPod and CPU must be purchase together on the same receipt. (at least that's how it's been done in the past)

You think this will work to take it into a physical store if I bought it online from apple.com? Oh I hope so. It was a standard config.

marcj

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Most likely, yes.

Regarding the iPhone Software Update 2.0, my guess is that Apple won't be charging an upgrade fee for iPod touch owner, even though Steve Jobs did say that there's going to be a "nominal fee". The main highlight of the upcoming software update is the App Store, a major revenue stream for Apple. A fee imposed on a software update is definitely going to turn away some potential App Store customers.

He said that the way apple 'accounts' for the two products is very different. I'd say he'll stick to his word and it would cost around £15/$30. The most popular apps will be free (and be most popular for that reason) I'd imagine anyway

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I'm with you! The touchscreen interface on the touch is a step back compared with the ease of using the wheel interface on the classic. Add that with the fact that the phone part is terrible on the iPhone and I'm not so sure I'll be getting another iPhone when my current one breaks. It will be nice if they correct a few of these issues in v2.

I have a 16GB Touch and as much as I love it, I still long for a clickwheel.

aaple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Yes, it is confusing. I'm betting it's bad info. My guess is Apple will do the same as in the past...$199 off any iPod (not to exceed the price of the iPod of course), which would make the touch $99, which is awesome in itself. If they offer the touch for free, why wouldn't you take it? They either REALLY want to push the touch or it's bad info.

I would guess that 1: they really want to push the touch, and 2: the touch is kind of unnecessary for those who already have a Touch or an iPhone. These people might prefer the smaller nano for working out, etc.

That being said, if the article is correct, I still see the vast majority of students picking the Touch. I know I will. Just hoping I can upgrade to a 16GB...please?

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
You think this will work to take it into a physical store if I bought it online from apple.com? Oh I hope so. It was a standard config.

Having been a manager in a store, I can say without a doubt it's better to go to the store. The managers have quite a bit of say so in accepting returns, etc. Online, they will often go strictly by the return policy, which would require you to pay a restocking fee if you opened the box.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
Teachers can get this student discount right ? That would be sweet if you could use the money, instead of for the ipod, for the new iPhone....then I would really be tempted to buy my first mac along with my first iPhone !

aaple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
He said that the way apple 'accounts' for the two products is very different. I'd say he'll stick to his word and it would cost around £15/$30. The most popular apps will be free (and be most popular for that reason) I'd imagine anyway

Yeah, they will charge Touch owners because of the accounting difference. $20 sounds about right. Isn't that what it was last time?

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Teachers can get this student discount right ? That would be sweet if you could use the money, instead of for the ipod, for the new iPhone....then I would really be tempted to buy my first mac along with my first iPhone !

Yes, teachers get it too. Don't think they'll include the phone, but who knows until tomorrow, right?

wmjbobic

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
anyone know whether this promotion is good for ADC discount or refurbished Macs as well?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.