Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
As the "90% of all Web Video is Flash" figure dwindles. I mean seriously, there was a list of all the video you couldn't watch a few months ago, and since then, everything has been converted or brought to an app. Hulu seems to be the only "big" one left.

Looks like Flash might be walking to its death bed. Or at the least, irrelevance bed.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yep. Suddenly flash doesn't look like it's going to be a problem. This coupled with the ABC app, CBS, NBC, and a rumored Hulu app in the works. I mean that takes care of all the video sites I watch anyhow. iPad is going to slay the competition. Seriously.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
As the "90% of all Web Video is Flash" figure dwindles. I mean seriously, there was a list of all the video you couldn't watch a few months ago, and since then, everything has been converted or brought to an app. Hulu seems to be the only "big" one left.

Looks like Flash might be walking to its death bed. Or at the least, irrelevance bed.

Netflix uses silverlight to stream its content. Regardless, this is still really cool.

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
wowwwwww this is amazing. Having access to their ever-expanding streaming library will be at least half of my movie watching on iPad

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
That's right, it must be late. Either way, Netflix was one of the big "You can't do that on an iPad" bullet points.

Yeah. I think the reason we had not seen an app on the iPhone was due to the AT&T data cap. Netflix has been pretty good at putting there Watch Instantly stuff on as many devices as possible. I'm just glad to see it available at launch.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
This is fantastic! I have a funny feeling I'm going to like my iPad once I get it... hurry up with the 3G models Apple!

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. I think the reason we had not seen an app on the iPhone was due to the AT&T data cap. Netflix has been pretty good at putting there Watch Instantly stuff on as many devices as possible. I'm just glad to see it available at launch.

Makes me wonder if they may reverse engineer this one and make it work on the iPhone. At the very least I would love a Netflix App I could use the add things to my List.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Sweet!

This is definitely going to be a nice touch for people with iPads. I watch movies on Netflix from my xbox and having another choice is a plus. Cant wait to get my iPad.

Hulu better be careful on what they charge their customers if they do at all. If they go crazy, I can see people paying a small fee to Netflix and then be able to watch as many movies as you want.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Well you already have to pay Netflix. You can't use "Watch Instantly" without having a subscription.

I know. What I meant was that instead of paying Hulu some crazy amount, people might just become Netflix members and get "all you can eat" movies and tv shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.