iPad Pro Freeze when fully charged

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Was able to fix this. You have to leave the screen on while charging from a low battery state to 100%. I did this by leaving a video streaming app on until it hit 100%. You only need to do this once. Now my iPad Pro no longer freezes every morning. Before, it froze every single time I left it in charging. Now, it's been 6 days and haven't had a single issue since I charged it like that.

karlhaus

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
At least twice I have left my iPad pro plugged in, once over night, and once during work. When I returned to my iPad it appeared frozen. Black screen, screen will not wake. I had to do a hard reset twice to get the thing to work again. After the hard reset the battery was 100%.

Has anyone else seen this?
mine is doing it. everytime I charge it overnight, the next day is dead and have to do a hard restart. my ipad is a week old

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
Mine did this since day one. I think it's an iOS 9.1 issue. They will likely fix with 9.2 (I hope). The battery life is so amazing that I can live with the quirk for now. It did scare me the first time though!

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
I have had mine for a few weeks now and it did it for the first time a day ago. Only thing I did different was change the Do Not Disturb option. I then turned that off and now it is working fine. I am taking a guess it is software related.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
so with 9.2, and with "hey siri" turned off, the ipad no longer shuts down after a full charge? I am dl'ing right now...

Whatisit

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
I have the same the same problem with this four day old iPad Pro 12.9. 512GB cellular but never turned on.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with charging and I have several problems with screen/touch issues. The screen while scrolling just stops while I flick my finger back and forth it does not move as I move my finger for several seconds sometimes . Sometimes it jitters when scrolling. Sometimes buttons on the screen are unresponsive until you touch it a dozen or more times... This is very disheartening with a brand new $1200 iPad. I have tried the reboot thing, yes it helps but then comes back... I think I should return it although I have read some bad reviews on B&H return manners where I bought it... I hope not. I read somewhere where I can send it back to Apple another way? Any suggestions comments or help of any kind would be appreciated. (I have video)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just got off a chat sessions with Apple Support. They recommend a restore to factory setting then a restore from backup. I'll try it later today and see what tomorrow morning brings.
It what they always recommend.

I have had this happen only one time since the day it arrived. Not too worried if it only happens once. My 10.5 is too nice to chance with another.

My "freeze" did not happen after charging, it just did it randomly. When I opene the cover it did not wake, like it was turn off. All of a sudden it turned back on. Hoping there is not a hard problem like the magnetic switch that turn it on and off. Hoping it is software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatisit

Whatisit

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
My 12.9 is going back. From what I have investigated it is happening with mostly the new 12.9 model; even Apple has admitted this in one article. Also I have learned that the 12.9 is not going to get some of the features of the iOS 11 updates that the 10.5 will... Apples response to one enquirer was that it was not capable of it?!? No explanation... what's up with that?! I am sending this back and buying the 10.5
[doublepost=1499090997][/doublepost]https://goo.gl/photos/Hp5Nrq96hJjKMGgA6
One of these links may work from google photos. It's a video of my experience
AF1QipNXKdd8boL6Ymwskz-Z6oyMLxgvy0VxHPBxqM6N

Whatisit

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
I'm happy to say I had absolutely NO PROBLEM with B&H taking the iPad Pro 12.9 back! Thank The LORD! I had read some horror stories about that. Nonetheless they were very nice and understanding about it all. I now have a 10.5 model ordered from Apple but got 256 GB this time since I saw the 512 wasn't hardly touched with everything I could throw in it! movies and all! So I now know 256 will be plenty. I also dont think I will be ordering another Apple Smart Keyboard for this one. I did like it but there were also some things laking in it and for the price, I dont know. I may just get a good cover and use a magic keyboard with it; I've had a few of those and they are pretty good keyboards and not really too much to stick in your pouch or case to take along. Still thinking... Just thought I would update my post, thanks

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Rocky Mountains, USA
At least twice I have left my iPad pro plugged in, once over night, and once during work. When I returned to my iPad it appeared frozen. Black screen, screen will not wake. I had to do a hard reset twice to get the thing to work again. After the hard reset the battery was 100%.

Has anyone else seen this?
A freeze-up has actually happened to me twice in the last few days when I am NOT charging it (80% battery). I will pick up my 10.5 ipp during the day and it will be black-screened. Have to hold the power button down for a few seconds, and it boots back up. However, mine does not freeze up after charging overnight.

Last edited:

Marshmallowfluff

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Hi I know this is an old thread anyone find a fix for this? I had my Pro for almost two years no problems and now it will crash without fail most times. I have to do a hard reset to finally get it up in running again. I didn’t buy AppleCare. Now I am kicking myself for it. Apple is working with me to find a solution they act like this has never happened before. I am about ready to just accepting this but I shouldn’t have to. Paying as much money as I did I would think it should work longer then this.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Hi I know this is an old thread anyone find a fix for this? I had my Pro for almost two years no problems and now it will crash without fail most times. I have to do a hard reset to finally get it up in running again. I didn’t buy AppleCare. Now I am kicking myself for it. Apple is working with me to find a solution they act like this has never happened before. I am about ready to just accepting this but I shouldn’t have to. Paying as much money as I did I would think it should work longer then this.
Sorry for your troubles :( I've never had problems with my iPad Pro. Wish I could offer more.

Oh the positive side; you'll probably get Apple Care with your next device :)

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
My 12.9 2nd gen was intermittently freezing when I charged the iPP for more than 4 and half hours. It is worse with iOS 11.1, no touch or pencil response and I have to hard reboot when waking from sleep or charging now.

Forgetting the Pencil and re-pairing it, helped with the pencil freeze in Procreate, but I am bummed to hear this issue has been around since the first gen. I will upgrade to 11.1.2 then next time I have to charge it but I hope I won’t have to perform yet another full DFU.

Marshmallowfluff

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Sorry for your troubles :( I've never had problems with my iPad Pro. Wish I could offer more.

Oh the positive side; you'll probably get Apple Care with your next device :)
Just an update after two weeks of working with senior advisor from Apple and engineers they finally said it was a battery failure got it replaced but had to pay 100 dollars which I was happy about. Have a brand new iPad got it yesterday from Apple store. The same store that told me there was nothing I can do. Lol . My iPad battery was 80. Something and failed is 79.99 . I just about gave up. I am really happy. Thanks :)
[doublepost=1512964115][/doublepost]
My 12.9 2nd gen was intermittently freezing when I charged the iPP for more than 4 and half hours. It is worse with iOS 11.1, no touch or pencil response and I have to hard reboot when waking from sleep or charging now.

Forgetting the Pencil and re-pairing it, helped with the pencil freeze in Procreate, but I am bummed to hear this issue has been around since the first gen. I will upgrade to 11.1.2 then next time I have to charge it but I hope I won’t have to perform yet another full DFU.
I would suggest if you continue to have a problem Call Apple and ask for them to run test the battery. Ask to speak to a senior advisor. Explain the problem that you are having. Have you tried restoring the iPad in iTunes and setup as new and try it for a few days and see if the same result. If it is the same result you can restore from backup.

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Just an update after two weeks of working with senior advisor from Apple and engineers they finally said it was a battery failure got it replaced but had to pay 100 dollars which I was happy about. Have a brand new iPad got it yesterday from Apple store. The same store that told me there was nothing I can do. Lol . My iPad battery was 80. Something and failed is 79.99 . I just about gave up. I am really happy. Thanks :)
[doublepost=1512964115][/doublepost]
I would suggest if you continue to have a problem Call Apple and ask for them to run test the battery. Ask to speak to a senior advisor. Explain the problem that you are having. Have you tried restoring the iPad in iTunes and setup as new and try it for a few days and see if the same result. If it is the same result you can restore from backup.
Yup, performed multiple DFUs. If it continues, I know what to do. Thanks.

Marshmallowfluff

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Yup, performed multiple DFUs. If it continues, I know what to do. Thanks.
Good luck I know with mine I had to keep reaching out to Apple making multiple calls and visiting the store. Finally talked to the right person. My new iPad is going strong. Did you get Apple care on yours? Because maybe they would work with you more mine was out of warenty. The thing that really upset me that it didn’t last very long I haven’t had it two years yet. I would think it should last longer then that.

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Good luck I know with mine I had to keep reaching out to Apple making multiple calls and visiting the store. Finally talked to the right person. My new iPad is going strong. Did you get Apple care on yours? Because maybe they would work with you more mine was out of warenty. The thing that really upset me that it didn’t last very long I haven’t had it two years yet. I would think it should last longer then that.
Yes, I did buy AC+. For the record, mine is a 2nd gen 12.9". Last DFU seems to have fixed some things. I haven't upgraded to 11.2 yet. Will wait and see what the next couple of iOS releases mean as far as bugs and battery life.

Marshmallowfluff

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Yes, I did buy AC+. For the record, mine is a 2nd gen 12.9". Last DFU seems to have fixed some things. I haven't upgraded to 11.2 yet. Will wait and see what the next couple of iOS releases mean as far as bugs and battery life.
[doublepost=1513144211][/doublepost]You can also download an app called battery life make sure it the one that says battery life check. It will tell you the state of your battery