Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I updated my MP 4,1->5,1 to High Sierra today. Firmware update went OK, as did the software install. The only oddity I encountered came when installing the nVidia web drivers - after clicking install, but before the computer restarted, a dialogue popped up stating that a problem was encountered during installation and asking if I wanted to continue or cancel.

Strange, I too updated my MP4,1-5,1 to High Sierra and then installed the nVidia web driver which recognised my stock GTX960 without any problem. Before installing the web driver I was running with my old GT120 and had a couple of crashes that seemed to be related to Apple stock driver. Maybe the GT120 is no longer properly supported?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Strange, I too updated my MP4,1-5,1 to High Sierra and then installed the nVidia web driver which recognised my stock GTX960 without any problem. Before installing the web driver I was running with my old GT120 and had a couple of crashes that seemed to be related to Apple stock driver. Maybe the GT120 is no longer properly supported?

I won't be surprised. GT120 only exist on 4,1, and 4,1 is not officially supported. Just like one of the Wifi card is not supported anymore.

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016

To update this point, SIP HAS TO BE TURNED OFF before you try a firmware update, otherwise once it runs (and fails), you’re 100% screwed and can’t ever do it again. This because you can’t get it working if you turn off SIP after a failed update, and you also can’t reinstall an OS from before SIP to bypass it. I’ll either have to go back to Sierra (if THAT’S even possible) to use my GTX 980, or I’ll have to just sell the card because it’s now worthless to me.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
To update this point, SIP HAS TO BE TURNED OFF before you try a firmware update, otherwise once it runs (and fails), you’re 100% screwed and can’t ever do it again. This because you can’t get it working if you turn off SIP after a failed update, and you also can’t reinstall an OS from before SIP to bypass it. I’ll either have to go back to Sierra (if THAT’S even possible) to use my GTX 980, or I’ll have to just sell the card because it’s now worthless to me.

But what causes the failed update? does anyone know.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Don't really know what the heck this means, but Cuda Driver 8.0.90 works in High Sierra Unknown.jpeg

Lou

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
But what causes the failed update? does anyone know.

SIP, well, protects the integrity of your system. When it senses an abnormal firmware update, it refuses to apply it. But changes are still made to your system by the utility before SIP kicks in, so when the utility is run with SIP off, it sees that those changes have already been made and it aborts, thinking that it’s already installed. A wipe back to 10.10 or earlier (which seems to be impossible, from Sierra or High Sierra, as I’ve now tested it) is required to bypass SIP and get the firmware update to run correctly.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Like an idiot, I did today's update and my system booted back into Windows for some reason and I'm having a real nightmare trying to get back into MacOS. Does anybody know if today's updated has knackered nVidia's driver support?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Thank you for the kind thoughts. However, I certainly can not take credit for this. MVC discovered the fix and posted it on his blog, not me. I merely re-posted it here to spread the word. And again, IMHO, MVC is a valuable asset to the Macintosh community whose absence from this forum is sorely missed.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think Nvidia usually only provide new driver for the latest OS, isn't it? Now they moved to HS, which may means they won't release any new driver for Sierra anymore.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
I think Nvidia usually only provide new driver for the latest OS, isn't it? Now they moved to HS, which may means they won't release any new driver for Sierra anymore.
Not sure about that. 10.11.6 got an incremental update a couple of months ago which changed its build number. Nvidia provided the new driver the following day.
Having said that, I don't see the security update you're talking about - I'm on 10.12.6 myself.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

No they don't, they supply drivers for the latest OS releases. But, if you look, the security update listed above is a Beta. Nvidia doesn't supply drivers for beta releases.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.