Friday fun! (follow FedEx trucks for free iPhones!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Oct 9, 2011.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna see how many free iPhones I can pick up from doorsteps, woohoo! On a serious note, though, has anybody had luck in getting FedEx to allow you to pick up an iPhone delivery from the hub before the first delivery attempt is made? I got them to do it on a non overnight delivery a couple of years ago for a netbook so I'm thinking I should try the same for the new iPhone. I might get it on Wednesday or Thursday that way!

2. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    It's probably worth trying.

I for one will be waiting at home and ready to sign for my iPhone delivery, so nobody's going to steal one off of my doorstep ;).

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

They can not legally hold if it's there and you show up asking for it.

4. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Yes they can.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

They can if the sender requires at least one delivery attempt which is usually the case.

6. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

The phones require a signature. If nobody is home, it doesn't get delivered.

7. MattLafferty macrumors member

MattLafferty

Ha ha... I for one had Apple change the shipping address to my in-laws. The frustrating part is that I have a wedding RIGHT after work on the 14th... so it will be: wedding -> in-laws to see the baby... AND to get the phone -> reception.

At least I'l be the cool guy (for once!) with the new phone. :D

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

That's a great idea - I didn't think of that! You, my sir, are a genius!

9. MattLafferty macrumors member

MattLafferty

Can't you pre-sign online? I'm not sure... it's my first iPhone via shipping.

10. shadrap macrumors 6502

11. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Both fedex and ups will not allow you to pick up your package before first delivery attempt unless the seller makes a request for the package to be held at the facility for you.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

No

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

yes you can, at least if you ordered through apple. not sure about ordering through a carrier though.

If you ordered through apple go to your order confirmation and there will be a link that brings you to a document you can print, sign, and tape to your door.

just make sure it's VERY visible.

14. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Typical cop attitude.

But yes, yes they still can.

----------

No you can't. If the sender requires a signature on the package, they must attempt delivery once.

15. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

16. Zeisen55 macrumors member

maybe this is a stupid question...
    but i bought my phone through verizon. will i need to sign for it? i didnt think i would have to, and i'll be at work the day theyll most likely deliver it.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If you ordered through Apple, there's usually a link on the page where you check your order status that will let you pre-sign for the shipment. You have to wait until it ships to be able to print the form. Then you print it, fill it out and stick it on your door for the Fed Ex delivery person and they'll leave your package. I've always done it this way with laptops and stuff that I've ordered from Apple.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Last year they had a pre-sign button once your iPhone is SHIPPED and I just left it taped to the front door and at 8:30am it showed up at my doorstep; went home at lunchtime and picked it up...:cool:

19. Sukach macrumors regular

If you ordered through Apple, you can pre-sign and specify a location for the delivery person to leave it: http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery.

If they deliver on Friday, I will be at home and waiting. If it looks like it is going to be in earlier, than I am going to pre-sign and watch the page for delivery and head home as soon as I see it is there.

20. intensem1dh macrumors newbie

Wrong I work for UPS you can get it at the hub the morning of delivery:D

21. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

They will probably arrive Thursday to avoid the flood of activations on Friday. Thats how I got mine last year.

22. rkahl macrumors 65816

That's exactly why I have the iCam app on my iPhone with a camera on my front porch. I can see exactly what goes on even with a 3G connection. It is by far my best app on my iPhone. Cameras set up in every room of the house.

23. rsmith83 macrumors member

Is this specific to Apple?

Multiple times I have had FedEx packages held at the hub by calling 1-800-GO-FEDEX, provided them with my tracking number and name, and asked them go hold the package at my local hub. They put in a request to hold for pickup so that when the box is scanned at the hub, they are informed not to put it on the delivery truck. Then I just go to the hub after 9:00AM with my tracking number and driver's license, and sign for the package.

I have done this with both UPS and FedEx packages for work multiple times (never with Ground shipping, but with the express services). Maybe it doesn't work that way with Apple packages. *shrug*

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

wrong, it should be: wedding -> in-laws to get the phone... AND to see the baby -> reception.
    jk jk :D

As for FedEx, I have requested to hold stuff in the hub and they have always done it when I have needed it even before 1st attempt. Neverthless my intercom rings on my 3Gs after 3 rings at home # so I will set it to automatically redial to my cel in case they get there before me and I can then ask them to leave it w/ my old neighbor or the admin who have done it for me before :cool:

25. guitarwiz23 macrumors member

If i decide to go to the hub and pick it up do i really need my drivers license? I know if they deliver it to you all you need is a signature but the thing is if i opt to go get it at the hub my dad's name is on it not mine, but i was just going to sign for him