Frigid winters or sweltering summers, which can you tolerate more?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nyte3k, Jun 23, 2009.

1. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

Being from Atlanta... we do get all four seasons, but summer more than anything. And over the past week it's been at least 90 and humid everyday.

Just wondering what you guys can tolerate more... winter or summer.

Mine changes from season to season, but I think (even as hot as it is) i can tolerate summer more.

Winter is just plain uncomfortable. Can't really enjoy the outdoors when it's 15 degrees and windy.

2. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I vote for winter!!!!!

the perfect weather would be, 65 and sunny with no humidity lol:D

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I live in North Texas and it's 101 outside right now, and reasonably humid (although less so than in recent days).

I can tolerate just about any cold temperature you throw at me, as long as there's no ice or snow involved. I hate the hot temperatures.

My reasoning is that when it's cold you can always add longer sleeves, or a jacket, etc. When you're going to the store stripped down to a t-shirt and shorts, there's not much else you can do to dress "cooler."

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I much prefer the colder weather. For one thing, being a pasty t'northern Englandshirer I'm not designed for extreme heat, and it's much easier to warm yourself up than it is to cool yourself down.

5. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm from Georgia as well, and I'm much more able to take hot summers than cold winters. I'd rather have it 105 degrees outside than 30. I don't do well in cold weather. It's miserable. I can't stand being all bundled up and restricted by clothing, and even then still being cold. I've always found it's always a lot easier for me to cool off if I'm hot than it is to warm up if I'm cold.

6. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Same here, I'm from SC. And we really only have 3 seasons. Winter, which usually isnt very cold- our cold lasts from mid Jan to early March usually. Spring and Fall are usually only a few weeks each, and they are so similar, I consider them one season split in two. Not to mention, again, they only last a few weeks. Then from pretty much May through early October is Summer.

I would rather have this than frigid winters like my friends in Calgary and Wisconsin have.

7. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

Cold for me, and 30 is not cold. Though I can stand warm, having just returned from West Africa, 100 degrees, 90% humidity, I prefer cold, Reminds me of this past winter when my father and I went out for some father-son time, was a beautiful morning, only -2°F.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed. I would love that year round.

I prefer colder weather...you can always add layers of clothing but there's only so much you can take off

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Crank the AC and open a cold beer and watch the girls in bikinis! Cold weather is just cold.

I lived in Duluth, Minnesota, many years ago. Was there for about 2 years. After that, I said no to cold weather. Since then I've lived in Myrtle Beach, S.C., Las Vegas, San Antonio, Singapore and now Florida.

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree! I'd much rather shiver than sweat.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can withstand winter more, you can easily escape the cold with a shower or put the central heating up.
    Plus I just can't sleep if its too hot :eek:

12. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

the shower has to end sometimes, and its always cold when you get out of the shower wet.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Cold weather for me too. I can't stand heat...

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Summers, not even close

I spent a winter in Chicago and wanted to kill myself when it got to -30 wind chill

I just ran in a summer heat of 105-109 heat index wise.

I love hot, I hate cold

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like very hot showers in winter, they keep me warm for a few hours but I find toes and fingers to return back to normal quicker than any other part of my body. Which leaves me with thick socks and hot drinks (hot cups to hold :D) to keep it all hot again.

But yea heat just saps my energy. Everytime I'm in Poland or Spain during their hot summers I just don't function properly at all. Bloody body.

16. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Cold winters:

Dad will not fix the A/C so it gets to 82 in the house. Only thing to do to cool off is to go swimming.

17. nyte3k thread starter macrumors member

nyte3k

That sux. 82 indoors is like 90 outside heh. I usually don't like the lame A/C units that stick out of the window, but until central unit is fixed, I would get one of those.

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Seeing as how it's over 100 outside right now, I vote for winters.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've lived in northern Canada in the winter (-40°C/F) and southern Arizona in the summer (110°F/43°C). I'd take the cold weather any day over the heat...

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Cold please. As has already been said, it's easier to keep warm than to keep cool.

Also, my wardrobe seems to be mainly geared for the cold...never noticed until now.

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Winter is always preferable. You can always put on another sweater, jacket, add another log to the fire, etc. if it's cold. When it's this hot out, once you're naked, that's it.

I suppose it would help more if my landlord wasn't such a cheapskate with regards to the quality of the air conditioner here. My handy little desk thermometer is currently saying 101.5º outside, 81.4º inside. I'm in a tank top and shorts with the desk fan blowing on me, and I'm still hot.

24. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I'll take sweltering summers any day - life sucks especially badly if you have close to 6-7 months of winter like here we do in MI.

I enjoy a warm breezy evening walk and nice sunny days. Weather here feels like living in a prison for 6 long months of the year.

25. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Summer time. I'm California born and raised - anything below 60 degrees is getting a tad too chilly for my tastes ;)

But I also live in an area that does not have a lot of humidity so our summertime weather is awesome. 85 degrees with a slight coastal breeze = Heaven!!