Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Curious to see who is upgrading from the iPad Mini to the iPad Air.

Weight has always been the factor steering me to the iPad Mini, but now that's addressed with the iPad Air, who is ditching the Mini in favour of the Air?

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I ditched my mini for an air but that's mainly because I use it either in school or at home. I drive and don't take trains or buses. I feel for people who take the trains or buses a mini is more suitable. A mini will always be more portable even though the air has reduced weight and bezels. It's all about your own uses.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Had a 4 and a mini. Sold both. Bought air. Returned air. Bought another mini.

Mini is the optimal form factor for a thin light portable tablet, esp. in an urban environment IMO.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010

Mini is the optimal form factor for a thin light portable tablet, esp. in an urban environment IMO.

Why would you buy another Mini now, when the Retina mini's will be out in a few weeks?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I've had iPads 1,2 and 3 and then switched to a mini. I bought the Air on Friday. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep the Air or go back to the mini.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I've had iPads 1,2 and 3 and then switched to a mini. I bought the Air on Friday. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep the Air or go back to the mini.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm considering getting both. Hard to decide...

Freakyshiat

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
i have a feeling once the reviews of the rMini start pouring in week of release, and you see one in person, a lot of people will jump ship even though they love their air.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I've had the iPad 1, 2 and 3 and then went to the Mini when it came out. I picked up the Air on launch day and my first reaction was, "God, this thing is huge!" I felt like I was holding an oversized Mini. I know that sounds weird, but after holding a Mini every day for the past year, the Air felt huge. It felt so big that I had to go and get my wife's old iPad 1 just to compare it to see if it was really smaller. I was expecting it to be a little lighter and thinner. After spending the weekend with it, I can honestly say, Ill be keeping it and do not regret going back up to the larger iPad.

After getting used to the large screen again, I realized how much I miss the larger and sharper screen. The Air is not heavy or bulky by any means. I primarily use my iPad for web browsing, books, news articles, comics, and movies or TV shows every once in a while. I rarely play any games on it. My transition experience has been great and do not regret it at all.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

You could have just bought the Air and compared the three while you had them all or did you dump them awhile ago? Just curious.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I played with an Air for a few minutes today, and it cemented my personal preference for the Mini. I just think they hit the sweet spot in tablet size with the Mini, it hits the right balance.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I played with an Air for a few minutes today, and it cemented my personal preference for the Mini. I just think they hit the sweet spot in tablet size with the Mini, it hits the right balance.

I still don't no what to do.... Had an ipad 3, sold it and bought a mini when they first came out. Then just bought the air. Air is nice much better then all the big iPads but the mini is just a great device. Now only if they have a 9" iPad

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I'm thinking about selling my still new but non-returnable iPad 4 for a Mini/Air.

Definitely waiting to see if Retina Mini is noticeably sharper than Retina Air. If it is - no brainer. If not really noticeable - it will be a much tougher sale because I prefer the larger screen for reading (90% of my iPad use goes to reading)

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I bought the latest version of the Mini shortly after the new ones appeared. I owned a 4 and a 2 and wanted to try the Mini as well. I won't lie, I really liked it. A lot.

But I absolutely love my Air. Don't miss the Mini at all.

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Curious to see who is upgrading from the iPad Mini to the iPad Air.

Weight has always been the factor steering me to the iPad Mini, but now that's addressed with the iPad Air, who is ditching the Mini in favour of the Air?

Played with the iPad Air in store. Bought it and will give it as a Christmas gift, but really - the Mini is the perfect size.

Can't wait till they release the Mini Retina. That is where it will be at.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I went from full sized iPad to mini then back to Air, which I just received today, and I'm so glad I'm back.

The weight of the mini was awesome, but the larger screen was always what the iPad was meant to be. It just feels more natural for me because you hardly have to zoom in anything to read. And with it being so light and smaller that the moment I opened the box, it almost tricks my eyes into believing it was a mini.

The Air is definitely for me and I'll be sticking with the 9.7" form factor for all my future iPad purchases. :D

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I'm thinking about selling my still new but non-returnable iPad 4 for a Mini/Air.

Definitely waiting to see if Retina Mini is noticeably sharper than Retina Air. If it is - no brainer. If not really noticeable - it will be a much tougher sale because I prefer the larger screen for reading (90% of my iPad use goes to reading)

iPad Air indeed has larger screen for reading. Too large in fact.

At first i thought iPad Mini was too small but when I tried one, it feels just nice for reading. The size is similar to common books. Texts are still large enough to be read. And when I tried iPad Air, it feels too big for me now.

But doing Keynotes, Numbers, and Pages are still much much better on iPad Air.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I went from full sized iPad to mini then back to Air, which I just received today, and I'm so glad I'm back.

The weight of the mini was awesome, but the larger screen was always what the iPad was meant to be. It just feels more natural for me because you hardly have to zoom in anything to read. And with it being so light and smaller that the moment I opened the box, it almost tricks my eyes into believing it was a mini.

The Air is definitely for me and I'll be sticking with the 9.7" form factor for all my future iPad purchases. :D

That is exactly what happened to me. I even bought an iPad 4 and entertained the idea of owning two devices.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad Air indeed has larger screen for reading. Too large in fact.

At first i thought iPad Mini was too small but when I tried one, it feels just nice for reading. The size is similar to common books. Texts are still large enough to be read. And when I tried iPad Air, it feels too big for me now.
Agree, although this probably boils down to individual preferences, too.

After taking margins out of the equation, the iPad 1/2/3/4/Air is between trade paperback and hardcover size, the iPad Mini is in between mass-market paperback (MMPB) and trade paperback, while 6" Kindles are around MMPB size.

I've never liked reading hardcovers and tend to go for MMPB so stands to reason I'd like the smaller, lighter Mini as an ereader over full-sized iPads, too. :D

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Back to the big screen

Like other Mini owners when I first picked up and started using the iPad Air I thought this thing is really big and I don't like it as much. After 4 days I've gotten used to having the big screen again and I'm really starting to like it. I might just be falling in love with the retina screen again but it's also super fast. It's also really nice not have to zoom in as much when on the web which is where is use it most.

The Mini is def nice to have for waking around the house and being more mobile. I used to throw the mini on the couch and treat it a little rougher because it felt small and compact. I don't feel quite as confident with the Air, that or maybe I'm just babing it a little because there is a chance I might return it.

I use my iPad at home mostly so I think I could live with happily with the Air, but chances are ill still give the Mini Retina a try to see what I think. That's if I can get my hands on one. Sounds like it will be challenging.

Just my two cents from a person who used to exclusively love the mini.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK

I had a 4 and a Mini. Sold the 4 bought an Air. Returned the Air yesterday - just too big and heavy still. Definitely a Retina Mini for me. That'll be the ultimate iPad as far as I can see. Could probably do with more RAM still but we can only have what's available.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm considering getting both. Hard to decide...

I thought i was the only one doing that! Ever since the air announcement, i've had an unpredictable problem...air or mini? Before the announcement, i was mini all the way. When i got my mini last november, i was like "this is...the perfect size for a tablet. I will never go up or down. This is it". Then the air came out and i thought it was still going to be an easy decision. Then i held an air in the apple store.

DAMN.

I think both would be the ideal scenario because i think my preference is shifty. I go back and forth. Sometimes i'm in the mood for a smaller tablet for going places or putting in my pocket and others it's nice to have a bigger one. If only they could make an iPad in the future that was stretchable/shrinkable. You take a mini and stretch out the screen until its 10 inches. And when you wanna be portable, squeeze it down to 8. Mark my words, someday...10-20 years from now there will be a keynote where Tim Cook says "we are getting rid of the iPad air and mini". The audience gasps in confusion as Tim follows up with "now it is just iPad. The new, bendable stretchable tablet. The first of it's kind to work like this. Lets show it to you" and a new era of size unrestricted tablets emerges. Imagine that.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

For you the mini is the "optimal" portable form factor. I never even had an issue with the heavier iPad and I bring it everywhere as it never leaves me,so the air is ultra portable. I scratch my head why anyone would even still want a mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.