Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone camera lens supplier Largan Precision is developing a special black coating for front-facing smartphone camera lenses, according to Jeff Pu, an analyst at Chinese investment firm GF Securities.

iphone-xs-front-camera.jpg

Pu's research note, shared by Taiwanese publications Economic Daily News and MoneyDJ, claims that one or two smartphone makers could adopt the technology as early as 2020. Given that Largan already has a relationship with Apple, it is speculated that the special coating could be applied to future iPhones.

A translated version of the Economic Daily News report says the special coating would allow the front camera lens to "completely disappear." A translation of the MoneyDJ report says the coating will be "pure black," eliminating the "small spots" like those visible in the notch on the iPhone X and newer.

The front camera lens already blends into the notch pretty well on iPhones, but it is visible from certain angles and lighting conditions. The special coating would presumably make the lens completely invisible to the eye.

Apple design chief Jony Ive has long dreamed of an iPhone that resembles a single sheet of glass, and hiding the front camera lens would be yet another step towards that goal, even if it sounds like an insignificant change. This is the first time we've heard this rumor, however, so treat it with some skepticism.

Article Link: Front Camera Lens on Future iPhones Could Be Hidden With Special 'Pure Black' Coating

Last edited:
Reactions: 341328

bmot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
The article is misleading quoting Jony Ive talking about a notchless screen. Having a black coating means the camera wont be visible on a black background, but it doesn't imply in any way a under the screen camera placement.

Reactions: cornelius1
Comment

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
We are to believe there is a coating that will have the same impedance to light in air on one side and the same impedance as (fluorite) glass on the other? That sounds great! Also a catalyst for cold fusion.

Comment

thebeans

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, usually not a good idea to proclaim something in tech isn't possible. We always move forward.
Yea, but, you know.... physics is a bitch. Lol. I don’t think it will ever be possible to have all the necessary lenses and sensors reside below a screen such that you can see the image on the screen and yet it has all this stuff below it. Not in the reasonably near future anyway. Maybe in many tens of years. Then again, maybe not even then.

Comment

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Yea, but, you know.... physics is a bitch. Lol. I don’t think it will ever be possible to have all the necessary lenses and sensors reside below a screen such that you can see the image on the screen and yet it has all this stuff below it. Not in the reasonably near future anyway. Maybe in many tens of years. Then again, maybe not even then.

They've had transparent OLED displays for a few years now (2015 I think it was first demo'd) and recently are pretty damn compelling for mainstream function and I can't imagine with Apples influence and drive that they aren't pushing this to conform to the mobile market very soon

Edit: Samsung showed off a laptop with a 40% transparent display back in 2010 so the tech has been in the development for some time now.

Last edited:
Reactions: aylk and Moonjumper
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
If he wants it to be a sheet of glass, you are going to have to hide the protruding rear camera.
I'd much rather have no camera bump on the back than a hidden front camera.

I'd be willing to bet you don't even have an iPhone with a notch, huh?

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. They stated they didn't like the notch, so it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't own an iPhone with a notch.

Are you saying if they had a phone with a notch they would like the notch?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.