Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
Do you think it may be possible that after showing the full version of Leopard at WWDC, Apple will allow a free upgrade to for those buying hardware after June 11th?
Would be a nice gesture to those of us who were let down and are willing to wait until Oct. Would also boost sales of any updated macs announced on/before WWDC (MB, MBP, Mini)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Do you think it may be possible that after showing the full version of Leopard at WWDC, Apple will allow a free upgrade to for those buying hardware after June 11th?
Would be a nice gesture to those of us who were let down and are willing to wait until Oct. Would also boost sales of any updated macs announced on/before WWDC (MB, MBP, Mini)

I doubt it but it sure would be nice of them.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
does anyone else feel as though the "delay" wasn't a real delay?
As in they never intended to ship in June, because we will be seeing the new UI in June and developers will get 6months to change everything to it.

No, only you would think this makes sense.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I work for a very large corporate entity, and I've supported hundred and hundreds of people over the years, significant amounts of these people hold PhDs and/or MDs....

And are these clueless people anything like the the clueless people who can't even recognize the basic distinction between 'amount' and 'number'...?

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
New Feature=iPhone dependent OS

well, maybe not exactly, but i do think that iphone might be able to act as a gesture-input device in Leopard, and may even replace mice altogether.
and syncing- don't get me started on syncing possibilities!

lookmark

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2002
Brooklyn
does anyone else feel as though the "delay" wasn't a real delay?
As in they never intended to ship in June, because we will be seeing the new UI in June and developers will get 6months to change everything to it.

Not exactly, but I do think there will be a new UI, that developers will need some time to tweak their apps to be Leopard-savvy, and that Apple originally planned to unveil Leopard in early spring (e.g. the 6th anniversary of OS X, 3/24) and ship in late spring or early summer.

But the schedule slipped a few months, due to the iPhone and Leopard's ambitious, still top-secret new features.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
...we're planning to show you a feature-complete version of Mac OS X Leopard...

The word "planning" in the above quote taken from Apple's email makes it sound like they're not 100% sure it will happen. I wasn't born yesterday ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
And are these clueless people anything like the the clueless people who can't even recognize the basic distinction between 'amount' and 'number'...?

I guess I don't get you, unless you're grammar policing.

Are you looking for an arbitrary % of the 500 or so people I've supported over 12 years that I deem clueless?
I'm fairly certain I could not do that.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
The word "planning" in the above quote taken from Apple's email makes it sound like they're not 100% sure it will happen. I wasn't born yesterday ;)
Normally I'd agree but in the same message they are encouraging people to buy their tickets for this reason, so I'd say it's going to happen. :)

LieutenantLefse

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong, (and I sincerely mean that) but the updates that have required a restart have been kernel-level security updates, have they not, or at least files that would have been in use at the time of said update?

I just ran Software Update on my 10.4.9 PowerBook, and there is one update - for QuickTime. It requires a restart. I'm pretty sure Java updates have required restarts in the past. Both of these are entirely userspace components, but they do have libraries that other applications could have in use. So, instead of checking if the libraries are use by any applications, and asking the user to close those applications, Apple takes the easy way out and forces a reboot.

New linux/unix users often avoid reboots for as long as possible so they can brag about their uptime(1). Then, when finally forced to reboot, they are befuddled when the box fails to come up because of some misconfiguration or failed update they did months ago. Thus, experienced unix admins don't mind the occasional reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.