Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Re: We are home, Dad.

Originally posted by TopGear
Just went to the PowerPage.org site to check the specs a second time. The first time, it was up and running. Now (10 minutes later) it says

"Sorry, this story is missing, or there is a problem with it. It may not be imported yet, you may just have the wrong ID, or the database might just be having a fit. please click here to email us a problem report. Thanks!"

How fast does Apple Legal move? It reminds me of the Simpsons episode, when Homer says, "Let's go home, kids." And Lisa says, "We are home, Dad." And then Homer says, "That was fast." Topper

I wouldn't read too much into it... All of the stories on PowerPage say that (not just the 'rumors'). I think they are having database issues.

Dave

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
PowerPage

While I'm sure these specs are right (no brainer), is it just me that doesn't think PowerPage is very accurate? In the last 6 months they've predicted:

- Powerbooks with bluetooth in August
- 1.2Ghz Powerbooks
- No Powerbooks till 2003
- External Superdrives
- Apple PDAs

If we get a 1.2Ghz Bluetooth Powerbook with external Superdrive on Wednesday, they'll be doing better :D

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
Re: Re: We are home, Dad.

Originally posted by DaveGee

I wouldn't read too much into it... All of the stories on PowerPage say that (not just the 'rumors'). I think they are having database issues.

Dave

I bet you're right. After all, it's still pretty early (Left Coast Time) for Apple Legal's stormtroopers to get into action. But three hours later, Powerpage is still having database issues... I guess it will be resolved or explained soon.

TG

Somebody

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2002
NYC
The crappy thing is Apple can't really advertise that " Our computer allows you to pirate music and movies unlike the competitions ".
You're right. However, Palladium will likely strengthen the appeal of the Mac's "It just works" marketing.

I don't think Palladium is going to be seamless and transparent, especially not in the beginning. There are likely to be issues that noticably undermine usability. Macs will seem just that much easier to deal with in comparison.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Man, I am pumped about this update, the 12 with the combo is the one for me.

For the weak willed out there wqho are complaining:

I don't think you are going to sway applt too much. Here is what you are saying.
"I own this beautiful sturdy reliable Bently that never breaks down and treats me like a king. Its not fast enough though, so I'm going to get this rickety, slapped together miata that the maker says will do a a hundred and sixty, but the transmission fell out before I could get that fast and I'm really just driving to the video store to rent starwars again anyway."

wankers

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: What I think....

Originally posted by MacAztec
What it is:

$999, CD-ROM, 12.1", 700MHz G3, 128MB, 20GB
$1299, Combo Drive, 12.1", 800MHz G3, 128MB, 30GB
$1599, Combo Drive, 14.1", 800MHz G3, 256MB, 30GB

What it should be:

$999, DVD/CD, 12.1", 700MHz G3, 256MB, 20GB
$1299, Combo Drive, 12.1", 800MHz G3, 512MB, 30GB
$1599, Combo Drive, 14.1" (1280x1024), 800MHz G3, 512 or 768MB, 40GB
32MB Graphics on all models

ok were talking about iBook specs not powerbook specs. The price drop comes because outside of a slight MHZ jump were really not getting that much more on these iBooks. This is similar to the original dual 1GHZ having a $500 price drop as all apple did is make it faster then the dual 800 add an extra 256MB of ram and Nvidia's Geforce 4MX graphics. Ohh and iBooks can only support upto 640MB ram inside, so I don't know where you got the idea thay they hold 768MB?

Tyler

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
PowerPage predictions

The Ogrady website posts whatever they can to get hits so they can sell ads for more money. They predicted indiglo technology and wacom tablets as a CERTAINTY for the last rev of TiBooks. They also post a lot of info prematurely, like the Oyster PowerBook stand being a good stand.

akula47

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2002
texas
I don't think powerpage.org knows jack, and historically they have NOT been accurate. They are just posting some old news and then being very conerative about the hardware specs. The price cut has been talked about for 4-5 days now. So they are not saying ANYTHING knew. Just another rumor.

However, this rumor is not too bad for the iBooks. An ATI 7500 32mb for the iBook would be a real treat though.

The statements about the Powerbooks are off in my opinion. I bet it comes with an ATI 9000 (32mb or 64mb, not sure), and bluetooth, but not superdrive. 933 being the top model.

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
Originally posted by drastik
Man, I am pumped about this update, the 12 with the combo is the one for me.

For the weak willed out there wqho are complaining:

I don't think you are going to sway applt too much. Here is what you are saying.
"I own this beautiful sturdy reliable Bently that never breaks down and treats me like a king. Its not fast enough though, so I'm going to get this rickety, slapped together miata that the maker says will do a a hundred and sixty, but the transmission fell out before I could get that fast and I'm really just driving to the video store to rent starwars again anyway."

wankers

Ha ha ha. Man, I am pumped too, I don't know what everybody's complaining about. The guy across the desk from me has a 12" 500 mhz machine he loves, with good reason: it's dope. And now I'm gonna get the same iBook, only flying at a much faster 800 mhz with a bigger L2 cache? For less money than he paid? Oh yeah.

TG

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
It had better have 32MB Graphics on all models to make up for the G3 using OS X.

I hope so, too. The jump to 16 MB in May was good, but not nearly enough. Hopefully this revision will bring it up to 32: far better for Quartz Extreme.

Mr T

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
slow as hell

Buyer Beware:

I have an 600 iBook and it is slow as Hell. No way I am going to make the same mistake again. My recommendation is wait for the 1.2 G3 with decent cache- it is the best chip for the iBook and will probably make into the next ibook. The people who are responding that their current Ibooks are fast enough have to be light weights. I experience lots of spinning beach balls (or whatever it is called now in 10.2) so if you want to do email only or just use word the the iBook can handle it . Yes, I did put in more ram and it makes OS 10 border line acceptable but it is annoying when you have to wait for your OS to catch up with you.

This is the last revisions that will Boot OS 9 so it is not in apples best interest to sell kick ass computers. They want to bump up the line to stimulate sales for this quarter but they don't want the large amount of os 9 users to stay on OS 9. The faster hardware will probably come out next year and will 'force' the upgrade to OS 10. Apple is playing this delicate balancing act and I hope most consumers stop buying until they put out products that they are capable of making and stop crippling their hardware.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I hope that the new PowerBook has a SuperDrive. My uncle is looking to buy a new laptop and it would be great if he didn't have to buy a Sony to get the DVD-R drive. Also, since he is going to be using it for video purposes it would be nice if it had a 1GHz+ CPU with a Radeon 9000 video card.

1.5GB Ram would be nice...

They could put the third slot SOMEWHERE... or have the 512MB on the motherboard.

drool...:D

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: slow as hell

Originally posted by Mr T
Buyer Beware:

I have an 600 iBook and it is slow as Hell. No way I am going to make the same mistake again. My recommendation is wait for the 1.2 G3 with decent cache- it is the best chip for the iBook and will probably make into the next ibook

With Jaguar my 500MHz iBook performs very well. It is no G4 Dual 1.25GHz, but it can do everything I want it to do well. It even runs Maya, although it takes a long time to render.

Oh, and by the way, are you the Mr. T of Spymac? Just asking.

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
The current iBook probably has one of the best (if not the best) chips in an Apple computer right now. The only problem is, Apple has severly crippled it so that it won't look better than the tiBook. The Sahara G3 reached 1ghz over an year ago and can have a FSB of 200mhz. Remember, this is an IBM G3 chip... Apple has just seemingly dumbed it down for the tiBooks sake. Remember how the last revision could be overclocked via software. #1 sign that this chip could easily deliver more.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I hope that the new PowerBook has a SuperDrive. My uncle is looking to buy a new laptop and it would be great if he didn't have to buy a Sony to get the DVD-R drive. Also, since he is going to be using it for video purposes it would be nice if it had a 1GHz+ CPU with a Radeon 9000 video card.

1.5GB Ram would be nice...

They could put the third slot SOMEWHERE... or have the 512MB on the motherboard.

drool...:D

Considering how much we preached the megahertz myth on these forums, we have to overcome the mental barrier. How much better is a 1Ghtz chip compared to a 999Mhz chip. I KNOW it's a milestone, but I find it really hard to believe people with $3000+ to spend on a laptop are even CONSIDERING different operating systems. Doesn't anyone have investment in software anymore or has the internet killed loyalty and law abiding practices?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: slow as hell

Originally posted by Mr T

I have an 600 iBook and it is slow as Hell. No way I am going to make the same mistake again. My recommendation is wait for the 1.2 G3 with decent cache- it is the best chip for the iBook and will probably make into the next ibook. The people who are responding that their current Ibooks are fast enough have to be light weights.

Umm, what planet are you from??? A 1.2 ghz G3? So after they've gone from 700 to 800 mhz in five months, it's gonna jump 400 mhz for the next revision?

Can you say 'troll'?...

Yes the people who say that their current iBook are fast enough are 'light weights.' That's who the iBook is targeted for, not for editing feature-length films or doing fancy filters on 100-mb photoshop files. If you're a 'heavyweight' user, you shouldn't be running an iBook in the first place.

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Re: Re: slow as hell

Originally posted by dongmin

Umm, what planet are you from??? A 1.2 ghz G3? So after they've gone from 700 to 800 mhz in five months, it's gonna jump 400 mhz for the next revision?

Can you say 'troll'?...

Yes the people who say that their current iBook are fast enough are 'light weights.' That's who the iBook is targeted for, not for editing feature-length films or doing fancy filters on 100-mb photoshop files. If you're a 'heavyweight' user, you shouldn't be running an iBook in the first place.

I agree that the next ibook revision may, if we're lucky include a 1 ghz G3; not 1.2. Regardless of it being a consumer machine, Apple should take every step to making it a viable os x machine by including at least 32 MB of video and 900mhz processor if they are going to leave a 100 mhz bus. The only thing welcome about this revision (ibook and powerbook) is the price drop - if indeed there is one.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
simply better

Either you think Apple makes a better product than windows or you don't. I for one believe their product is infinitely better in every way applicable to my needs. For example, I don't play games on my mac. I have a PS2 for that and prefer sitting in front of a 27" TV on my couch.

If you looked at the Q4 results for apple, it's obvious they're not hording money and profits. They're reinvesting the profits into R&D and marketing.

I expect to pay more for a better built and integrated piece of hardware and OS. I expect to pay more for an OS that fully supports networking (oh wait - MS charges at least a hundred bucks more for that). I expect to pay more for built in 802.11b support that doesn't require a PCI or PCMCAI card. I expect to pay more for style and design (like how easy it is to install and upgrade components of a G4 tower). I expect to pay more for included software like iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iCal, AppleWorks, and a great mail and address book app built in, installed and free. These apps are arguably better than any on the PC side (in the same class obviously) that aren't free. AND they're integrated and updated with the OS through the simple software update panel.

And now that all my macs are unix based, I can click one preference and be instantly running an apache server over my dsl line. (And I am actually) The unix stuff is just insanely cool - but I realize not many folks will give a damn about that.

If you enjoy XP and Wintel boxes better than what macintosh has to offer, I highly recommend you switch to their platform. It is after all less expensive. But I see a lot of people here saying they wish they could afford a mac. That says alot to me. It says they understand value. They wish they had the money to pay for something better. I mean, I wish I could own a porsche, but I can't.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Quartz Extreme

QE doesn't need 32MB on an iBook. It has 32MB on Power systems because of dual monitor support or the 23" Cinema Display - two 1024x768 screens will need twice as much VRAM.

Having used both a 700Mhz iBook and Ti800 I can honestly say X does not run massively faster on the 32MB card.

This 32MB vs 16MB is just willy waving as far as iBooks are concerned.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
It had better have 32MB Graphics on all models to make up for the G3 using OS X.

From what I've heard, it will have 32MB.

arn

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Full iBook Specs

Originally posted by Macrumors
PowerPage.org posted full specs on the upcoming ibooks

$999, CD-ROM, 12.1", 700MHz G3, 128MB, 20GB
$1299, Combo Drive, 12.1", 800MHz G3, 128MB, 30GB
$1599, Combo Drive, 14.1", 800MHz G3, 256MB, 30GB

No Bluetooth, No iBook Superdrive. They claim Powerbook details coming soon...

yes!!!

under one grand

Mad Baggins

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2002
Re: simply better

Originally posted by bretm
I expect to pay more for included software like iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iCal, AppleWorks, and a great mail and address book app built in, installed and free.
If you're "expecting to pay more," then it's not "free", is it?
:confused:

But I see a lot of people here saying they wish they could afford a mac. That says alot to me. It says they understand value. They wish they had the money to pay for something better.
"Value" is not just quality, but also price. People are paying approximately the same money for an x86 laptop as an iBook would cost, because ultimately they feel the x86 has more value. But if these lower prices rumors are true, then the iBook's "value" should increase along with sales. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.