"Full" internet, really?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BobHail, Oct 24, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

One of the big disadvantages of the iOS is the mobile internet. Yes, that´s what the iPad has: a crappy mobile internet, NOT even close to the full internet experience, but that´s how Apple is trying to sell the device, with lies.

Sites like Facebook, MySpace or YouTube and many many others... can´t be used at all or the experience is very bad. And these sort of sites are probably 75% of my total internet use and I bet many other´s too.

Sure you have the option to use Facebook app, which is ok for iPhone, but still it´s far away from the full experience. Then you have the YouTube app, which is pretty much unusable. For other sites there isn´t even any apps, so you´re SOL.

For iPhone this situation is perfectly ok, but for a tablet device like the iPad it´s just stupid and also very offending, especially when Steve/Apple is saying: “It´s the best browsing experience of any device”. I take this as an insult to my intelligence. It´s a blatant lie!

I´ve been very critical about the iPad, but I would actually consider buying it, if it would have a real full internet.

It´s soon 2011. Do you think it would be the time for Apple to give us a tablet device with full internet experience? What´s really the problem?

2. stix macrumors member

I don't use Facebook, I don't use Myspace and the Youtube player provided in the iPad works just great for me. The internet on the iPad ticks all my boxes :)

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Personally I find using facebook and other websites much more easier and entertaining on my iPad opposed to my iMac. Granted there's a couple features that are pretty terrible to use like cropping a profile picture but I'm more of a believer that that's because you're using a touch device to view a website made for keyboard and mouse.

4. cube macrumors G5

I bought the iPad for EyeTV and don't like Flash and knew the limitations, but it's extremely annoying when I go to some site and I cannot install the player.

Lack of Java is another major failure.

I don't have an iPhone because of the lack of Java and the lockdown.

5. rikbrown macrumors regular

Care to explain why you can't use them?
    I use Facebook every day on my iPad, the experience is great. Can't comment on MySpace, but YouTube works fine through the app.

Are you just trolling? Tell us what the problems you're having are and maybe we can help :)

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know what you mean, but there is a large problem that exists in the world of Apple that does generally not exist in other areas.

Normally, someone makes something, and cuts something out, leaves something out, decides something is not wanted, etc etc etc.

The consumers complain, and/or don't buy the product, in time, the manufacturer realises this and adds it into their product so the consumer get's a better item.

In the land of Apple for many (not everyone as some people like yourself can have independent thought) say it's right it's been left out, or it's good it does not work and actually brag up the fact it can't do things, by either dismissing the missing items as unimportant, or that they are bad anyway and it's good they are gone.

When you have this attitude it does not make something better. The signal just goes back to the makers that whatever they do, their loyal consumer base will support it.

This is not generally a good thing in the longer term to be happening.

This could be BluRay, Graphics Cards, Flash, Removable batteries, SMS Tones etc etc......... Whilst people keep buying and giving the thumbs up, it will never improve

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yeah, I'm sorry but what about using facebook on the iPad is terrible. I much prefer using it on my iPad compared to my iPhone. I don't do chat, I don't do games. I don't update my profile pictures or add photo albums. Facebook work like a charm when trying to comment or send a message or browse my friends pictures.

Myspace is a joke anyway so I won't even bother commenting on that. The youtube app is fine as well. I can comment, watch the video, watch related videos, etc.

What are you trying to do on these sites that is so crappy on the iPad?

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally I much prefer a proper App written for the iPad than accessing things like this from a general web page.

The beauty of a custom app is it can be laid out in the perfect manner for users on screen, plus the way the iPad can divide sections of the screen up for scrolling regions can be used in ways the web page never can.

Of course, as long as no bits are missing in the app, but that goes without saying.

Some companies are right up to speed on iPad versions of their web experiences, whereas others still have not put anything together, or they have an iPhone version but no iPad version yet, despite having had 6 months to come up with something.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Then don't buy it and most of all don't come here to whine (qualifies as a whine because this has been discussed before) about things that have been discussed ad nausea. It has been WELL DOCUMENTED from day one that the iPad does not support Flash (this to has been explained over and over and over) and never well. If the iPad in its current form is not for you then it never will be. Go buy the Samsung when it comes out and be happy with that. You will have your full Internet for about 3 or 4 hours based on the battery life.

Cue Winni to come and complain as well....

BluRay: cuts into Apple biz model. Never gonna see it native on a Mac.
    Graphics Cards: Not sure what you mean...
    Flash: Still sucks even though Adobe has had 3 plus years to make a working mobile version. Where is it? Apple is correct to hold off completely or until Adobe can fix it. Apple told Adobe that they would fix Flash for them. Adobe declined.
    Removable batteries: Do you mean phone or something else? My MBP 15 has a removable battery while my newer 17 inch doesn't. If you mean phones, I've had Nokia phones almost from day one and never once purchased or needed and extra battery. Overrated.
    SMS Tones: Agreed.
    Etc.: ????

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have the full Internet minus all the flash adverts on my iPad. This is a good thing.

11. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

OP - I'm not having any issues with Facebook or YouTube on my iPad. The regular Facebook site works fine for me. Plus I am using YouTube via the HTML5 beta and it is working fine also. The only sites I have problem with are video sites that use Flash but having the ABC app and Netflix far outweigh these issues.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So what about all the other Flash content that's not ads?

That working for you is it? :confused:

Note: If flash went away tomorrow and HTML5 took over, do you think you would not see any ads? :D

I still feel many (most) people don't get it. Flash never was made for Video, it's just 1 thing is did that became popular.
    So many just seem to say "I can get video elsewhere now" not even realising that's just a part of what Flash is for and not what it was really made for.

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Is this another highly critical review from someone who hasn't spent any decent time using an iPad?

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

What else is there? Embedded video - most places I visit now offer HTML5 (except the BBC, who are notoriously slow at adopting new technologies)

Flash games? They all suck.

Websites written entirely in flash? Not really part of the list of sites I visit frequently.

I can do without flash. While I accept that sizeable number of people can't, I can. And as can all the other iPad owners, it seems.

15. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Why is facebook bad you haven't even bothered to say why? There isn't an offical facebook app for the iPad yet, you must be talking about the iPhone version. Use friendly facebook instead. You can also download Atomic Web browser and it has a setting that makes sites think you are visiting them from a desktop version of Safari, Firefox or Internet explorer. The full internet as you put it. You can swipe to move to next tab, or to go back or forwards in navigation.

Did you even bother to look research any of this or did you just come on here to rant without checking any facts? :rolleyes:

16. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

iCab also does this, I picked up just the other day for this and downloads that you can upload to dropbox.

Apple cannot force web developers to create sites that work great on the iPad only you can, get in contact with the owners of the websites you have problems with and let them know.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Not everyone uses the internet the same way that you do OP. While it may not be usable for you, there are obviously plenty of people who feel differently.

I use it for light internet browsing, reading e-books, watching movies and stuff like that. I'm not much into facebook, and when i've ever needed you tube the app has worked perfectly.

I'm actually trying to remember visiting any site on my iPad where I didn't experience the "full internet".

To each his own, and honestly, aren't there enough threads on here where people have to justify to themselves and others why they aren't buying the iPad?

Next up: Why I don't own a Ferrari.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Chill out, and take a leisurely read here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

The problem we have (obviously more so on these forums) is that people tend to be hot so impartial as they might otherwise be.

Whilst some people may not wish to visit web sites that have one of the many types of Flash animated content, others may love such sites.

It's wrong to deny some people things just because you (and I don't mean you personally) don't use them.

It would be like me Telling you, you should not use a car because they are rubbish and motorcycles are better.

It would be better to offer both and let the customer choose which one he/she would prefer.

As far as I'm aware, all main UK news web sites still use Flash for their video content. Not one of them has changed.

Sky News
    BBC
    Channel4 news
    The Guardian
    The Mail Online
    The Mirror Online
    The Sun
    ITV web site

These all are still using Flash, and I guess the list goes on and on.

19. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hey thats cool i didn't know iCab did that too. I haven't downloaded it yet. Only had mine a week and a half :D From what i have read on her though either of those are better than Safari

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is a VERY well known web site:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

There are Apps for most of those sites for the iPad

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've never visited that site, or even heard of it. So...my record is still intact.

23. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I´ve now used it plenty. My friend bought one so I´ve been able to play with it in "relaxed enviroment" (you know not in noisy enviroment in some crowded shop).

All I hear from most of you is just excuses, excuses and excuses... Is it fun to be so ignorant? Anyone with a half a brain would notice the huge difference browsing all these sites OS X Safari (full internet) vs iPad (mobile internet). There´s just so many things you can´t do on mobile internet. It´s night and day difference. You can´t deny that.

I´ve little bit changed my mind about the iPad, it´s very slick and nice, but there´s just so many things about it that bugs me. It basically can´t do anything that my iPhone can do and my iPhone can do soooooo much more than the iPad. But the biggest problem with it is the mobile internet, which is a dealbreaker for me.

I´m not gonna buy any tablet device until it will have a full internet experience.

24. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I already said theres an app for running full internet. In fact 2.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Never even heard this: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/

Or this: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/kenya/

Which due to popularity spawned people around the world to do funny things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0NvcQ3Yiqk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUNipuz2SU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUNipuz2SU

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw6phPCrisg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4flkm02mPv0