Full Speed

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
The solution...

If Apple is able to speedbump the PowerMac with a new CPU (G5) to 2.4 Ghz in a few months i believe many PC-users or people without a computer will buy a Mac because it's faster than the PC's (the megahertz myth) and Apple's market share would rise... But a speedbump like that is almost three times the fastest G4 we can get today, so it's very unlikely it's going to happen. We can all hope for G5's at MWSF, but it's probably only ready for embedded products such as Cisco's router, etc. A faster system bus and RAM will help a lot though... Dual G4 1.4 Ghz / 2 GB DDR-RAM / 400 Mhz system bus / ATi Radeon 8500 / 120 GB ATA 133 ..... yum.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
If we want an announcement that will win back marketshare to Apple, it should go like this:

"We will be selling the entry level iMac at 600 Mhz for $599.00."

That will do it, I promise. OS X on Intel, etc. will not do it. Why in the world would people happy with Windows (ughh) buy another OS and spend another $99? Apple needs a cheap iMac with a good feature set. Price, unfortunately is the prohibition people have when buying their first computer.

My 2 cents.

Gus

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Hmm... the biggest thing about the Mhz myth is that the real speed bottleneck these days is the system bus. Announcing new products with buses based on Hypertransport could be a very big deal (esp for bandwidth-hungry apps like video)... and is where no PC has gone before.

Well, I think that would be super, but I'm not counting on it.

P

philH

warp ten lust?

If I remember my Trekkin' history, warp ten is infinite speed, so you would occupy all points in space simultaneously. So lust at factor ten (or warp ten) means something that everyone everywhere will immediately want. That's gotta be a consumer item... not a Mac, or PDA. Something people everywhere will want simply because it's fun.

Maybe Steve's taken the concept of Sony's Aibo, combined it with gyro technology from Sedgeway, thrown in the power of the G4 & OS X and built a domestic robot that's actually useful? Maybe the iWalk is simply a remote for the thing, and iWalk is actually the robot's name? Maybe Steve decided Toy Story should be for real?

Is this any more daft than the rest of the speculation you've seen?

---
I'm not on drugs, not that you could tell...

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
actually, warp 10 in the Voyager universe is infinite speed, warp 10 the the Star Trek movies (Voyage Home) lets you time travel, and I don't think Apple R&D has either of these worked out quite yet (but we can always hope!)

JereIC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
It's come together for me...

Originally posted by smisaacs:

its a pda...

this is what i found when i went to aple.com 20 mins ago...now its gone..... "lust factor ten" is there again

http://fury.com/clippings/apple.html
Although I remain skeptical, if this is for real, then Mac OS Rumors may be right when they talk about a possible hiptop computer. We'll have to wait a few more hours to see, I suppose...

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Well on Star Trek in the gap between TOS and TNG the warp factors were adjusted to meet the greater speeds of modern ships.

R

Reu

Apple + Pixo

Originally posted by Cisco
Originally posted by Interiority
Many people here are talking about an Apple PDA in terms of an updated Newton. Whilst I'm not going to speculate about iWalk etc, I will say that if Apple releases a PDA it will be based on Pixo rather than the Newton OS.

Pixo (http://www.pixo.com) is the OS embedded in the iPod, for which Apple is obviously developing new applications. Newton OS is a legacy John Sculley system, and the bad blood between Jobs and Sculley is still too strong...
Very interesting if correct. Can anyone confirm and/or provide details regarding Apple's ralationship with Pixo? I can't findanything too interesting on their website, certainly no mention of the iPod.
Apple Mention this on their website on one of the pages under http://www.aaple.com/ipod

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Re: I thought iWalk was not a fary tell....i WAS a believer

Originally posted by adidasx2004
Wait a min! German voices in the background? What a counicedence (I cant spell, thats what spell check is for, right!?) It just so happens that, in a footnote on spymac.com, it says that they are being hosted on a, get this, GERMAN server that is owned by a GERMAN friend. Could it be that iWalk was faked in Germany? I Think so...
I thought about that too and sent spymac an email when the videos were posted... still no reply suprisingly (they're probably boged down with emails anyway, so it dosen't necessarily prove anything but you never know...)