Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Full Transcript of Apple's 'Time Flies' Event With Apple Watch and iPad Updates

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
It's not really the problem of whether we get an iPhone event in 30 days, but the damage to the culture that Apple has built for more than a decade - the very culture that forced the entire market to follow suite and had trained consumers to be accustomed to this new "norm".

From a marketing standpoint, to witness how the very market leader that changed the entire industry to have destroyed the trained behavior of customers? It's just painful. Not to mention that this would take years to rebuild, and most likely not repairable at all.

At least this is how I view the event.

There really is no damage at all, not beyond a handful of tech forum residents. I would wager you can survey >98% of iPhone owners and they wouldn't even know or care when a new iPhone is usually launched, just when they can get a new one through their network carrier. It's not like the next creeping iteration is going to be years away.

Comment

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I don't understand why people have to attack someone or their view on topics like this. Say what you think and understand that. This was a lackluster presentation with small updates. Some of the colors are nice but nothing was really overwhelming to me. A blue and red Apple Watch look nice but aren't universal in matching a lot of clothing colors. I also couldn't imagine showing up to work with a red or blue watch.

Comment

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I don't understand why people have to attack someone or their view on topics like this. Say what you think and understand that. This was a lackluster presentation with small updates. Some of the colors are nice but nothing was really overwhelming to me. A blue and red Apple Watch look nice but aren't universal in matching a lot of clothing colors. I also couldn't imagine showing up to work with a red or blue watch.

The blue looks kinda nice I think. Probably have to see how it looks in real life? I honestly did expect a darker shade of blue though.

But for the product red? ........Let's say I agree with you a 100% LOL

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK

The colours look pretty in their own right and in marketing photos, but for day to day use they would soon look cheap and tacky, especially when the wear and tear marks appear. IMO.

Comment

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The way I see it, it's a performance. Marketing is an art, and Apple is one of the best if not the best in doing that for years. I'm just expressing my disappointment, just like how a fan would do IF Christopher Nolan delivered an underwhelming film (I love Nolan's films and I'm just saying this metaphorically lol).

Ermmmm...... What you're talking about is "launch". "Release" is when they announce a new product. A "launch" is when a product is available to purchase by consumers. That's actually a common misunderstanding amongst the public. lol

This is an interesting discussion though. :)

Release, launch, or whatever else you want to call it, was delayed by two months. The debate over terminology is a non-sequitur.

Comment

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
The colours look pretty in their own right and in marketing photos, but for day to day use they would soon look cheap and tacky, especially when the wear and tear marks appear. IMO.

I agree, I think the blue looks nice. I never liked product red and think a red case would suffice. A blue watch would clash with everything and look cheap.

Reactions: WBRacing
Comment

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
The blue looks kinda nice I think. Probably have to see how it looks in real life? I honestly did expect a darker shade of blue though.

But for the product red? ........Let's say I agree with you a 100% LOL

I like blue but not as an accessory I wear daily. Even someone who wears a lot of colors would find it hard to match.

Reactions: Anson_431
Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I agree, I think the blue looks nice. I never liked product red and think a red case would suffice. A blue watch would clash with everything and look cheap.

The real “tragedy” is removing the black stainless steel in favour of this graphite whatever. It was the most seamless Watch in look and feel, and I was saving up to upgrade to one of them. I’d really like to see a comparison side by side :(

Comment

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
The real tragedy is removing the black stainless steel in favour of this graphite whatever. It was the most seamless Watch in look and feel, and I was saving up to upgrade to one of them. I’d really like to see a comparison side by side :(
I didn't even notice that, that's stupid. I wear the titanium edition cause it matches and just takes a back seat. My favorite one was the black though. There will be a lot of returned red and blues in the future.

Comment

MJBCA

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
It looks like they still have that hideous red ring on the crown. Still not going to get an Apple Watch as long as apple continues to ignore how awful it looks to have everything on the watch with a color theme, and out of no where red has to be there regardless. Is it too much to ask to just leave the stupid red ring out.
Have you ever seen a real watch, which have been adopting red crowns since like, decades? I love how people with no knowledge on watches whatsoever feel soooo entitled to criticize Apple’s homage to real wristwatch history and tradition.
Next.

Comment

MJBCA

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
Some of you weren't paying attention. Tim introduced the iPads at the beginning and said "ALL" iPad models getting an upgrade this year.

He included the pros.
the air.
the iPad.
Yes. The pros have been updated in March. Yawwwn.

Comment

PoppaKap

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Comment

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
C’mon, guys, the Air 4 sounds legit like an awesome upgrade, and I say this as a happy Air 3 owner. Almost makes me want to buy right away :)

But note the pricing. I think that’s a clue for those who hope for low prices for the AS Macs. Ain’t happenin’.

Also, great as the A14 is, it’s also a clue that the first AS Macs are not going to be astronomically faster than Intel. Faster, absolutely, but more like 20%-30%, not like some dreamers here who think 300%. Now, starting 2023-2024, sure, they may pull away by 100%-150%. But at first, they’ll be a solid upgrade but not a miracle... note we don’t see much improvement in battery life from Air 3 to Air 4... AS Macs will definitely be solidly better in battery life than Intel, but again no miracle, more like 20%, which is still great.

The Apple Watch 6 is a snooze. Maybe the 12 series will be worthy... but for now I’m not buying.

Comment

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Have you ever seen a real watch, which have been adopting red crowns since like, decades? I love how people with no knowledge on watches whatsoever feel soooo entitled to criticize Apple’s homage to real wristwatch history and tradition.
Next.

In my brief google search, I couldn’t find anything about red crowns being a thing on watches outside of the Apple Watch. Got a link to any information on this claim?

Comment

Coconut Bean

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
40% faster is still better than any other chip maker can claim at the moment.

40% faster than previous chip in Air... That was an A12. It will be interesting to see ARM reveal, suspect muchbofnit will focus on battery life, software support and the use cases, not the actual performance.

Comment

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
There really is no damage at all, not beyond a handful of tech forum residents. I would wager you can survey >98% of iPhone owners and they wouldn't even know or care when a new iPhone is usually launched, just when they can get a new one through their network carrier. It's not like the next creeping iteration is going to be years away.

I have to agree - there's a global pandemic ravaging the world and totalitarian western governments being run by Putin but the population is up in arms that iPhone events are not what they used to be :rolleyes:

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I wonder if they’ll put that Touch ID power switch from the iPad Air in the iPhone 12 since Face ID is a bit of a pain while wearing a mask. That would be cool and unexpected.

Comment

kobberrød

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Copenhagen
40% faster than previous chip in Air... That was an A12. It will be interesting to see ARM reveal, suspect muchbofnit will focus on battery life, software support and the use cases, not the actual performance.
It's easy to calculate then how much faster than A13 it will be, and don't expect the breakthrough ~~ 16,6%

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.