Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple didn't live stream today's education-focused event held at Lane Tech College Prep High School in Chicago, but the company has made a video available in the Events app of the Apple TV now that it's over.

The video spans an hour and seven minutes, and while Apple mainly focused on educational topics, it does include the unveiling of the new low-cost $329 sixth-generation iPad, which comes equipped with Apple Pencil support.

applespecialeventvideo-800x498.jpg

Apple has not yet made the event available to watch on its website, but a video should be uploaded and available soon, and a direct link to the video is available here. A YouTube version may also come later in the day.

In addition to its main event, Apple has shared several new iPad-focused YouTube videos that were shown during the Chicago event.

The first video, above, focuses on the Apple Pencil being used to draw the new iPad, highlighting Apple Pencil integration in the low-cost tablet. The other two videos focus on students using the new iPad for school work and Apple's commitment to education.

In addition to a new low-cost iPad with Apple Pencil support, Apple today also introduced new tools for teachers and students, including a Classwork app for assignments, a ClassKit API for creating educational apps with Classwork integration, new Apple Pencil capabilities for iWork, and an "Everyone Can Create" curriculum that's similar to "Everyone Can Code" but is more focused on creative pursuits like photography, video making, music, and art.

Don't want to watch Apple's full hour-long presentation? We'll have a recap coming soon that covers all of the interesting points of the event, so stay tuned for that.

Update: The full video is now available on Apple's Events website.

Article Link: Full Video of Apple's Chicago Education Event Now Available on Apple TV

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Everyone can create, 1 GB at a time, up to 5 times...(If you're not a student).

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
51 years I have suffered from insomnia. Finally, I think this here might just be my cure.

"Only Apple can do this."

What an apocalyptic, egotistical, smug, self congratulating phrase. And people on here wonder why so many others are critical of them.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
It’s kind of funny Apple are renewing their push into education considering their last attempt at pushing iPads into classrooms fell flat and was considered a failure by that school board Apple boasted had ordered so many of the things.

Will pencil make a difference?

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
The play button kept giving me the September Event video (at SJ Theater). Updating tvOS fixed the problem and the correct video was able to play.

macmanmass

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I'm good, thanks though.

Can we have iOS 11.3 now Apple?
That will come out in June then we'll have to wait 3 MONTHS until it releases the week before the next gen iPhone. Ugh Apple you make major updates to your OS once a year, and by update I mean copy what everyone else in the industry has already been doing. I miss Steve.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
That will come out in June then we'll have to wait 3 MONTHS until it releases the week before the next gen iPhone. Ugh Apple you make major updates to your OS once a year, and by update I mean copy what everyone else in the industry has already been doing. I miss Steve.
iOS 11.3 is not the same as iOS 12. 11.3 should be any week now. 12 should be available in September.

macmanmass

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Apple: More status symbol and less relevance as time goes on...
Have to disagree. It USED to be a status symbol. That is when Steve was running the business. Now its run by some hoohaw named Tim who doesn't have a clue. Steve brought us the Mac, the iPhone, and the iPad.....Timmy brought us a $1,000 iPhone, a carbon copy of Steve's iPad, and less we forget a $10,000 watch. Yeah he's a winner alright.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Have to disagree. It USED to be a status symbol. That is when Steve was running the business. Now its run by some hoohaw named Tim who doesn't have a clue. Steve brought us the Mac, the iPhone, and the iPad.....Timmy brought us a $1,000 iPhone, a carbon copy of Steve's iPad, and less we forget a $10,000 watch. Yeah he's a winner alright.

You’re unfair on the watch. It’s a great product, and using the $10K example is misleading at best.

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
I was quietly excited about seeing the AirPower slip into the store after it opened. :(

Ah well, my iPad air 2 has taken a battering over the last few years so good to have a viable option for the kids to upgrade

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Ok it may be a little misleading, but the fact is he had the audacity to think a $10,000 watch would be well received. Face it he's not in touch with what consumers want as much as Steve was.

Totally agree with your last statement. He’s not a bad CEO per se, he sells, but he’s not an innovator. I think he misunderstood his role at Apple. I believe that Jobs wanted cook for five or six years just to calm things down and to make sure that the boat would’ve not be rocked too much after his death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.