Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
My brand new 128gb iPhone 6 Plus $949 + $75+ tax gave up the ghost to the white apple crash screen. Permanently.

During the first quarter of Thursday night football Colts v Texans, my iPhone 6 plus crashed to the white apple screen and would not budge:

All the previous times it crashed to the white apple, it came back within a minute or so. This time, pressing the home key did nothing.

iPhone6plusFuneral_resize_zps8b7bab5e.jpg

8:45pm, 15 minutes before closing, I made it to the local Apple Store. The first genius said I'd need to make a genius bar appointment. The second genius on the way out told the first genius to just exchange it.

20141009exchangeaftercrash-resize_zps9aa7af53.png

I lost 4 days of contact changes and photos. (No, I don't store my contacts or photos on someone else's computer i.e., the cloud. I do backup once a week via iTunes.)

I now have a nice shiny new iPhone 6 plus. I did *not* restore from backup, even though I now have hundreds of iPhone apps to re-install 1 by 1. But I probably won't re-install many till I know the crashing won't start again. I'll stick with a core set and rely on my Note 2 for the rest.

This experience with the iPhone 6 Plus makes me appreciate my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 even more. First purchased in November 2012 after the Apple 5 Maps fiasco ensured I'd get lost on my next trip, it has navigated me through a dozen countries in 2 years without a single problem. Before actual experience, my perception was Android would be less stable than iOS. It has been 100% stable.

The 2 of 500+ iOS apps I haven't been able to find Android equivalents of is:
- Awesome Note - a brilliant iOS app that makes Evernote or Google Drive look great
- Period Planner - a fertility planner iOS app. I'm sure there are Android options for this, but I'd rather use the one where I have all the historical data...

I'll probably always have an iPhone of one flavor or another. But I think my short term strategy will be to rely on my Note 2 more, at least until I know the iPhone 6 plus won't keep crashing. The biggest thrill beyond the Note 2's big high res screen has been its ultrathin replaceable batteries that weigh nothing and provide another entire day of use. All without hanging a kludgy cable and charger plugged in while trying to use it. The surprise usability feature of the Note 2 is the "invisible back key" - that area of the phone to the right of the home button. You tap it and it goes back to previous screen. Great for navigating between apps. Or even within apps when the "back" button can be located in different places top left, bottom left and sometimes even top or bottom right, oddly enough.

My iPhone 5 - only use cases became simplified to phone calls, contact list, and fertility planning app. The Note 2 does everything else (GPS, tethering to my PC, + anything visual, anything else audio except for phone calls). Even with those minimal use cases, I'd land at noon at JFK and by 8:00pm ET my iPhone 5 would be dead.

Another bummer - I had Ghost Armor'd the iPhone 6 plus screen already.

PS: I have a financial interest in Apple doing well. Regardless, any compliments or criticisms I have of my iPhone or Note 2 are well deserved and based on my own experience.
(Working playing and traveling across a dozen countries with both an iPhone and Note 2 since November 2012.)

Last edited:

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
you made a big mistake OP.

1... accusing your phone of having a fault instead of admitting it's somehow your own bloody fault.

2... bringing up andriod. it clearly means you are paid by Samsung as a way of trying to discredit Apple.

So.. expect the wrath of Apple fanatics.

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014

1... accusing your phone of having a fault instead of admitting it's somehow your own bloody fault.

2... bringing up andriod. it clearly means you are paid by Samsung as a way of trying to discredit Apple.

eh..what?

greatness

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
OP, sorry you had to go through that process. I don't think anyone putting this much money into a consumer electronic product wants a defect, but it happens.

Thanks also for the lesson in the android "back" button. The lesson would have been complete with a mention and walk-through of the left "menu" button as well. Electronic components are prone to failure no matter what manufacturer they are from (chances are your Note 2 was made in the same place the iPhone 6 rolled out of) and sometimes you're "that guy/gal" with the rotten apple (all pun intended).

Do yourself a favor:

1. back up to iCloud or your computer and stop manually backing up every little thing everytime you get a new phone. same with your android ecosystem as well.
2. grab the Note 4. Best of both worlds!

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
It is strange. Do you try restarting by pressing the home and power buttons at the same time?

The try that on the apple store?

Do you know that whatsapp, facebook and other apps store your contacts? Why not let icloud to make a copy if other companies already have your info.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I did *not* restore from backup, even though I now have hundreds of iPhone apps to re-install 1 by 1. But I probably won't re-install many till I know the crashing won't start again. I'll stick with a core set and rely on my Note 2 for the rest.

I thought Apple can run a diagnostic test on your phone with all of the apps on it and tell you what is causing it to crash, to include failing apps in the background?

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Can someone share a poem, or maybe a story they shared with MareLuce's iPhone 6? May it Rest In Peace.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
OP, sorry you had to go through that process. I don't think anyone putting this much money into a consumer electronic product wants a defect, but it happens.
Agreed. It's just disappointing. And a time drain.

Thanks also for the lesson in the android "back" button. The lesson would have been complete with a mention and walk-through of the left "menu" button as well.
Nah... I use the "invisible back key" about 10x more than that left menu button key. If there's one feature I really wish Apple would copy from Samsung it's that one. On the iPhone, that space to the right of the home button does nothing. I find myself tapping that same empty space on my iPhone till I realize I'm not using the Note 2. Then, I have to find the "go back" location to tap wherever the iPhone app's developer decided to put it.

Do yourself a favor:
1. back up to iCloud or your computer and stop manually backing up every little thing everytime you get a new phone. same with your android ecosystem as well.
I do backup to my computer via iTunes. Though in general iTunes vexes me. If someone held a gun to my head, I couldn't repeat to you how I moved a PDF from my computer to my iPhone via iTunes without re-googling it.

Next to replaceable batteries, simply being able to treat my Note 2 like a hard drive folder is my next favorite thing. Just drag and drop. No iTunes as the intermediary. Isn't the concept of folders easy enough?

Related iTunes frustration example: I have tried to delete ~10 un-needed voice memos off my iPhone 5, and they just keep re-syncing back. Now I have 3-4 copies of each voice memo. I tried to delete them on iTunes and don't see how to do that. I'm afraid to un-check "sync voice memos" because based on earlier experience:
iTunes developers have redefined the word "sync" to mean "delete".

One thing that *does* work reliably with iTunes now is syncing contacts with Outlook.

I never have taken the time to figure out how to do that with Android.

grab the Note 4. Best of both worlds
Tempting, but I'm very happy with the Note 2... And it will soon be "off contract".

Last edited:

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Can someone share a poem, or maybe a story they shared with MareLuce's iPhone 6? May it Rest In Peace.

When I started browsing the Mcrumors forum this evening, I had no idea I would be faced with such tragic news. Someone please tell me this is not real. I'm too saddened at this moment to say anything. Mareluces iphone will be terribly missed. I have to go. This is too much to handle right now. Farewell mareluces 6 plus...farewell.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Do you know that whatsapp, facebook and other apps store your contacts? Why not let icloud to make a copy if other companies already have your info.
I don't have whatsapp or facebook apps. I do agree that Apple is probably the most trustworthy of the 3.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

By Anonymous, Lilburn, GA

iPhone 33

It was just a few months ago
In a factory by the sea
That a phone there lived whom you may know
By the name of iPhone 33
And this phone he lived with no other thought
Than to work and be used by me

I was a teenager and he was a newborn,
In this factory by the sea
But we talked with a text that was more than words
I and my iPhone 33
With a camera that captured the views of heaven
And me on my iPhone 33

And this was the reason that long ago
In this factory by the sea
A machine put together pieces, creating
My beautiful iPhone 33
So then a kind UPS man came
And delivered the phone right to me
To keep him away from that very dangerous
Sidewalk by the sea

The phones not half so wonderful
Went envying him and me
Yes! That was the reason (as we all know
In this factory by the sea)
That the sidewalk so dark and hard
Shattered and killed my iPhone 33

But his service was faster by far than the service
Of phones who were older than he
Of many far slower than he
And neither the angels in factories above
Nor the sidewalks down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful iPhone 33

For my phone never rings without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful iPhone 33
And so all the night-tide I lie down by the side
Of my darling-my darling I weep and I cry
In the factory there by the sea
On the sidewalk down by the sea

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
i wonder how many of these posts are really paid samsung/lg employees.

its no secret that samsung and LG uses these tactics, especially after Macrumors made international headlines on the news with bendgate.

Edit: not to say OP is

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
This story is very sketchy, and all the hidden advertising for Samsung?
Are you just a huge android fanboy or a Samsung employee?

This experience with the iPhone 6 Plus makes me appreciate my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 even more. First purchased in November 2012 after the Apple 5 Maps fiasco ensured I'd get lost on my next trip, it has navigated me through a dozen countries in 2 years without a single problem.

Before actual experience, my perception was Android would be less stable than iOS. It has been 100% stable.

The biggest thrill beyond the Note 2's big high res screen has been its ultrathin replaceable batteries that weigh nothing and provide another entire day of use.

The surprise usability feature of the Note 2 is the "invisible back key" - that area of the phone to the right of the home button. You tap it and it goes back to previous screen. Great for navigating between apps.

Even with those minimal use cases, I'd land at noon at JFK and by 8:00pm ET my iPhone 5 would be dead.

alphaxono

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008

I am basically doing the same. I had every major iteration of the iPhone. I also started with the original 5GB iPod and the original iPad and the original Macbook Air (such a beauty at that time). As of iOS 8 my iPhone 5 is hanging, random reboots, unresponsiveness etc. I am relying more on my second phone LG G2 which work with no issues. Also I have been trying out the Blackberry Passport and I am impressed by the build quality and screen but not the app selection.

What I am trying to say is that I don't think that the current Apple Phones and iOS features are the benchmark anymore. So accept the reality and stop bashing people for merely stating an opinion or an experience.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
i wonder how many of these posts are really paid samsung/lg employees.

its no secret that samsung and LG uses these tactics, especially after Macrumors made international headlines on the news with bendgate.

Edit: not to say OP is

Doubt he is, unless this clandestine plan was set in motion back in 2010 when he first signed up - if so, he's truly an expert undercover agent - just biding his time until now, post bendgate, when internet furor around Apple is at an all-time high.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Cut the OP some slack

Geez! Not everyone who says something about Android or Samsung on this forum is a troll. The OP had a problem. It happens. The OP got a new phone pretty easily. If there are certain characteristics of an Android device that someone likes, so be it. Everyone is different. This is a forum where people express themselves. Don't attack people if they have ideas that are different than yours.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I've used iPhones (3gs, 4, 5, now 6) since I retired my Palm Treo and an iPad 2 since it came out. I'm quite sure I'll always have an iPhone of some flavor nearby.

For one thing, Apple was the true innovator of this era of smartphones.

Second, I love Apple's advertising. Always the best commercials, and some of the only commercials that I do not mute. Finally, commercials about technology that focus on the use cases - glimpses of how the product is actually used. I was horrified when I realized I'd have to buy an Android, because their ads were so... bad at the time. 2 years ago it was the hyper-masculine jumping robot Droid Max blah blah. I am a human not a robot.

Edit: Third, Apple / the iPhone made spending $ for software FUN again. Before I purchased my first iPhone app, the last PC software I had purchased was maybe an anti-virus. Yawn.
Fun AND easy. I purchased financial analysis utilities for my Palm Treo, but getting it installed was like over the river and through the woods vs the 2 second App store process.

After using both Android and iOS at the same time for 2 years, I've been wanting to write a side by side compare. Above are 3 things on the "pro Apple" side of the list. Here's another:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1791959/

I totally agree with some of the guests on one of my favorite podcasts* The New Disruptors (Glenn Fleishman) which I listen to always on my iPhone via Downcast app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-disruptors/id584939697?mt=2
when they rant against reviews that rate down apps for being $2.99 or $1.99 vs only $0.99 or free. I think app developers are some of the most creative people around.
* Glenn just announced on last week's podcast he was taking a hiatus. But I'd guess the old 'issues' will stay accessible.

I would have already purchased a MacBook by now if it weren't for iTunes being such a turn-off.
ex: My second thread ever:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1244350/

Despite iTunes, I probably will take the plunge and purchase a Macbook Pro after the next time its featured in a keynote.

Do you try restarting by pressing the home and power buttons at the same time?
I didn't because I wanted the Apple store employees to see it stuck. I just decided to follow the recommendation of one of the people in this thread and try for an exchange in case it was hardware related:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1793230/

One of the places where this crashing problem is being discussed in the Apple community:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6565699

But the problem isn't being discussed here that much... Maybe it was one of my apps.

So far so good. (I have 1.5 screens of my favorite apps now installed on the iPhone 6 plus.)

Last edited:

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I'm trying to understand what did they charge you for ? don't you have one year warranty ?

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Sounds like a attempted root situation or a water infiltration issue. This is user error or abuse not phone hardware or software issues.

My brand new 128gb iPhone 6 Plus $949 + $75+ tax gave up the ghost to the white apple crash screen. Permanently.

During the first quarter of Thursday night football Colts v Texans, my iPhone 6 plus crashed to the white apple screen and would not budge:

All the previous times it crashed to the white apple, it came back within a minute or so. This time, pressing the home key did nothing.

8:45pm, 15 minutes before closing, I made it to the local Apple Store. The first genius said I'd need to make a genius bar appointment. The second genius on the way out told the first genius to just exchange it.

I lost 4 days of contact changes and photos. (No, I don't store my contacts or photos on someone else's computer i.e., the cloud)

I now have a nice shiny new iPhone 6 plus. I did *not* restore from backup, even though I now have hundreds of iPhone apps to re-install 1 by 1. But I probably won't re-install many till I know the crashing won't start again. I'll stick with a core set and rely on my Note 2 for the rest.

This experience with the iPhone 6 Plus makes me appreciate my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 even more. First purchased in November 2012 after the Apple 5 Maps fiasco ensured I'd get lost on my next trip, it has navigated me through a dozen countries in 2 years without a single problem. Before actual experience, my perception was Android would be less stable than iOS. It has been 100% stable.

The 2 of 500+ iOS apps I haven't been able to find Android equivalents of is:
- Awesome Note - a brilliant iOS app that makes Evernote or Google Drive look great
- Period Planner - a fertility planner iOS app. I'm sure there are Android options for this, but I'd rather use the one where I have all the historical data...

I'll probably always have an iPhone of one flavor or another. But I think my short term strategy will be to rely on my Note 2 more, at least until I know the iPhone 6 plus won't keep crashing. The biggest thrill beyond the Note 2's big high res screen has been its ultrathin replaceable batteries that weigh nothing and provide another entire day of use. All without hanging a kludgy cable and charger plugged in while trying to use it. The surprise usability feature of the Note 2 is the "invisible back key" - that area of the phone to the right of the home button. You tap it and it goes back to previous screen. Great for navigating between apps. Or even within apps when the "back" button can be located in different places top left, bottom left and sometimes even top or bottom right, oddly enough.

My iPhone 5 - only use cases became simplified to phone calls, contact list, and fertility planning app. The Note 2 does everything else (GPS, tethering to my PC, + anything visual, anything else audio except for phone calls). Even with those minimal use cases, I'd land at noon at JFK and by 8:00pm ET my iPhone 5 would be dead.

Another bummer - I had Ghost Armor'd the iPhone 6 plus screen already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.