Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
That is beautiful and this is the kind of thing we should see from apple, now who ever has the real pictures please post. enough of all the crappy looking macs. Zugg you got the best looking mac i have seen. where can i buy?

iBot

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Next Generation?

Naive question, I know, but:

Does anyone know what the "G" in Apple's PowerPC nomenclature means? I recently saw it defined somewhere (can't remember exactly where) as "Generation," as in G5=Generation 5 PowerPC chip.

Is that correct? If so, it does make a lot of sense for Apple to stick to the G-series naming convention.

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
What about the "year of the notebook"?w

I wouldn't mind sticking with the Gx naming scheme. If the G5 does come out and so does the P5, I hadly see there's any difficulty in remembering which is which as is the case nowadays (G4-P4-Athlon-whatever). PC users will know what you're referring to, and new buyers will only know about a 'Mac' and a 'PC'. If someone says [sometime in the near(?) future], "is this G5 similar to this P5 thing?", maybe the sales person could just say "yeah, only a whole lot better." ;)

But one thing that has crossed my mind, though... Most of the PowerPC970-related rumors/news/whatnot seem to be focused on the introduction of a new PowerMac. But didn't Apple just tout this year as "the year of the notebook"? Jobs is even quoted as saying "Many users are going to wonder why they even need a desktop computer anymore."

I wonder what impact any mention of G5-based *books will have on newbuyers of the Ti-/Al-Books, or what it could do to sales if it were only a hint/introduction.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
G5 seems like a decent compromise that wouldn't confuse a lot of people.

Though a tad more diversity in the model numbers would help.

----

Originally posted by MacViolinist
why don't they just call it the G-Spot and get it over with
If you do that you'd probably be eliminating 90-99% of the male customers (ie, they still wouldn't be able to find it.)

cliffardo2001

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003
PC970 reeks of a PC name

Originally posted by Windowlicker
970 sounds somewhat PCish methinks :Q

I don't think it would be Steve Jobs' style to release a product that had such a cumbersome name. While G5 sounds a little ridiculous, I would most certainly want to say "I got the new G5 today" rather than "I got the new Apple PC970." Woudln't you? And maybe Apple will find some other characteristically easy product name.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
That is beautiful and this is the kind of thing we should see from apple, now who ever has the real pictures please post. enough of all the crappy looking macs. Zugg you got the best looking mac i have seen. where can i buy?

make all checks payable to zuggerat at account number th28464726482v847 at HSBC

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
P6 is about the same as G4 (but Pentium 4 is newer)

Originally posted by fabsgwu
I'm guessing Bill will just cut to the chase and have Intel call it the P6 :rolleyes:

The Pentium Pro, Pentium II and Pentium III were the P6. Check out the codenames for Intel architectures....

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
Zugg Picture & G5 Naming

Wow! Now THAT'S a beauty. Where did you doctor that up at? That would be sweet.

And as for the G5, I almost bought one tonight. Seriously. Except it's made by Canon. It's the Canon Powershot G5 digicam - the top of the line Powershot that was just introduced a few weeks ago. Seems they skipped the G4 and went from the Powershot G3 to the G5. Hmmm....

It seems like Apple and Canon are pretty tight so I wonder how Canon got onto the Gx naming sequence. Anyone know?

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
Canon's G5 (Slightly OT)

Here's what Canon's G5 looks like. Sorry for being slightly off topic. I just heard about this camera yesterday and thought the naming was suspiciously similar to our beloved Apple.

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Re: Zugg Picture & G5 Naming

Originally posted by Angelus520
And as for the G5, I almost bought one tonight. Seriously. Except it's made by Canon. It's the Canon Powershot G5 digicam - the top of the line Powershot that was just introduced a few weeks ago.
Not a bad choice -- I've had the 4 megapixel version for a couple of years now, and haven't ever regretted the purchase.

To add a little fuel in the powermac vs. powerbook debate (although the powermacs seem a 97% cert by now), has anyone noticed that the iPod software update has taken the place of the 12/15 inch powerbook price cuts on the front page? This could mean one (or more) of three things:
  1. The price cuts are old news
  2. The stocks of 12 and 15 inch powerbooks are finally close to gone (hmm, updates a-coming?)
  3. Apple just didn't want any G4 hardware on its front page ( :) ? )
  4. (most likely) There are only four callout boxes, and something had to go
    [/list=1]Ah, the joys of the conspiracy theorist...

-Richard

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Re: What about the "year of the notebook"?

Originally posted by ginoledesma
I wonder what impact any mention of G5-based *books will have on newbuyers of the Ti-/Al-Books, or what it could do to sales if it were only a hint/introduction.

I've already emailed my local Apple Retailer and I'm 95% the way there with convincing my wife that I can get a new 17" Powerbook [970/G5/Compumazing 95654] mid-July...

This is the year of the laptop certainly:- of the dozen people I know who have macs - only one is a desktop G4 - and ALL of them have bought their iBooks and Powerbooks in the last 18 months. 11 of them are first-time mac users (like me).

these people are in no particular niche market either which is what I see as a big indicator that Apple is aiming right at the market (always room for improvement tho).

All the people I know are looking for desktop replacement lappys (be they PC or Mac) - so when it comes time to lay down my cash - I want a lappy that is the equivalent of the desktops and not using the older tech.

I think it can only damage sales if there is no 'G5' in the lappys because everyone will wait until there is... (I know I will be if the desktop/lappy divide is too great)...

I'd be tempted by a 1.6 Ghz Albook or a dual 17"... but I think the 970 would be my preferred option ;)

-- Dan "Money Burning hole in Pocket" :D

ouketii

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2003
i think it would be strange to have g3 ibook and g5 powermac. intel doesn't put out pentium 2 along with it's p4. even pc laptops use the same procs as desktops (p4, p4-m).

i think apple ought to bump up ibooks along with the powermacs and, um, powerbooks, and while theyre at it, eh throw in new imacs and emacs and oh don't forget the xserve. speakign of that, apple would not have faster procs in their consumer desktops than the xserves. if new chip, i expect new xserve.

kidding about redoing the whole catalogue, but, uh, would be nice. further addign to powermac rumors, i hear it has a Coffee Mate built in with the cheese grater - for those long final cut sessions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.