Fusion Drive - Partition

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ivanwi11iams, May 25, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of question, but, then again, that's how one can learn, right?

With the iMac 1TB Fusion Drive, can I wipe it and create partitions (I'm using an external SSD for the OS).
    Then, I'd use one partition for Time Machine backups, and the other for cloned backups.

The season I ask this question is because, I'm wondering how the SSD portion of the Fusion drive would work\act.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, etc.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I believe you are limited to a single additional partition on a Fusion drive, and that will be totally on the hard disk and not part of the SSD-HD Fusion. You will use the BootCamp Assistant to create this partition. Of course, if you de-fuse the SSD and hard disk into separate drives, you can partition any way you wish.

3. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Hmm, interesting. If I de-fused it, can I recreate the Fusion if I wanted to? That's the question now ;)

Thanks for the info.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Well, you only have a small SSD to work with which limits what you can do with it. But, yes, you can recreate the Fusion drive back as it was, or you can create a Fusion drive with individual partitions on either drive.

For example, on one of my Mac Minis I installed a 512 GB SSD and a 2 TB hard disk, then partitioned the SSD in half ... a 256 GB SSD bootable Windows, and the other 256 GB is Fusion linked to the hard disk to create a 2.25 TB OS X Fusion drive.

Note: be sure you have a solid backup before you mess with the Fusion drive as it will be totally erased when you de-fuse it, or re-fuse it.