Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Information's Wayne Ma today shared alleged details about future Apple silicon chips that will succeed the first-generation M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max chips, which are manufactured based on Apple chipmaking partner TSMC's 5nm process.

m1-pro-vs-max-feature.jpg

The report claims that Apple and TSMC plan to manufacture second-generation Apple silicon chips using an enhanced version of TSMC's 5nm process, and the chips will apparently contain two dies, which can allow for more cores. These chips will likely be used in the next MacBook Pro models and other Mac desktops, the report says.

Apple is planning a "much bigger leap" with its third-generation chips, some of which will be manufactured with TSMC's 3nm process and have up to four dies, which the report says could translate into the chips having up to 40 compute cores. For comparison, the M1 chip has an 8-core CPU and the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips have 10-core CPUs, while Apple's high-end Mac Pro tower can be configured with up to a 28-core Intel Xeon W processor.

The report cites sources who expect TSMC to be able to reliably manufacture 3nm chips by 2023 for use in both Macs and iPhones. The third-generation chips are codenamed Ibiza, Lobos, and Palma, according to the report, and it's likely they will debut in higher-end Macs first, such as future 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models. A less powerful third-generation chip is also said to be planned for a future MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, the report says the next Mac Pro will use a variant of the M1 Max chip with at least two dies, as part of the first generation of Apple silicon chips.

Article Link: Future Apple Silicon Macs Will Reportedly Use 3nm Chips With Up to 40 Cores

Last edited:

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
While I don't own a M1 Mac and with the prices here in Greece so much higher I don't see me getting one any time soon, I am so happy that Apple destroyed(s) all personal low expectations for their chips. It's about time to have some more competition going on.
Good job Apple.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
We've now entered a news cycle where awesome Mac rumors are once again the norm. The future of the Mac is very exciting indeed. Just from a pure technology standpoint, it's fascinating seeing what Apple is doing in the SOC space.

My M1 iMac is by far the best computer I've ever owned, but I have to say it's going to be hard to resist one of the new machines on 3rd or 4th gen Apple Silicon.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2016
Yeah, this was pretty much expected.
The Macpro will pretty much have functionally four M1max chips, so just quadruple everything.
32 performance cores
8 efficiency cores
40 cores in total
GPU with 128 cores
Up to 256 GB of unified memory, with most likely the option to add on 1.75 TB of regular memory, so 2 TB in total.
And eventually it will get down to 3 nm.
Nothing new here

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
The bigger picture is they will need extremely powerful and efficient chips for the upcoming mixed reality headset and augmented reality glasses. Apple is doing all this to plan for the future, meanwhile the likes of Intel is still clinging onto the past and not being very good at it.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
That doesn't make ANY sense !

They've already over-shot their existing market by a wide margin !

The M1 Pro & M1 Max are over-kill for 99.9% of Apple's existing customer base !

I suspect what we're hearing about now is the 911 GT3 version, good for press coverage, but NOT a volume driver !

Ion-X

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
That doesn't make ANY sense !

They've already over-shot their existing market by a wide margin !

The M1 Pro & M1 Max are over-kill for 99.9% of Apple's existing customer base !

I suspect what we're hearing about now is the 911 GT3 version, good for press coverage, but NOT a volume driver !
They are absolutely going to upgrade the M1 Max with another generation and more cores. They’ve always had pro options like that. Apple is a creative-focused company in many ways, at least when it comes to their Pro lineup of Macs.

The Air is for the 90+% who just want a capable computer for everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.