Future iPhone May Use Customized Wireless Charging System Made in Partnership with Broadcom

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A future version of the iPhone could use a customized wireless charging system created in partnership with Broadcom, according to JPMorgan analyst Harlan Sur (via CNBC).

While Apple and Broadcom have reportedly been working together on a wireless charging solution for approximately two years, Sur is not sure whether the feature will be included in the 2017 iPhone due to "caution around the battery-related recall" of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Despite Harlan's caution, the upcoming 2017 "iPhone 8" is widely rumored to include some kind of wireless charging solution, but details on how it is being implemented and whether or not Apple is working with a partner like Broadcom remain unknown at this time.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 8 concept image via Thadeu Brandão

Past rumors have suggested wireless charging partnerships and supplier deals with Lite-On Semiconductor, MediaTek, Foxconn, Pegatron, and Luxshare, making it difficult to suss out Apple's wireless charging plans.

Harlan's research note also echoes previous rumors pointing towards a glass body for future iPhones, which many analysts believe is being implemented to facilitate wireless charging.
    Early wireless charging rumors suggested Apple would use a long-range wireless charging solution, but more recent speculation suggests the company may instead opt for an Apple Watch-style inductive charging solution. A glass body, as is rumored, would be necessary for an inductive charging option, and Apple also recently joined the Wireless Power Consortium, a group committed to the open development of the Qi wireless charging standard used in devices like the Samsung Galaxy.

Along with wireless charging, Apple's 2017 iPhone is rumored to include a radical redesign, featuring the aforementioned glass body and an edge-to-edge ~5-inch OLED display that eliminates the device's Home button. Rumors suggest this device will be positioned as a high-end "premium" model that could cost upwards of $1,000, and most sources believe it will be sold alongside two more affordable 4.7 and 5.5-inch devices that resemble the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus.

Rumors disagree on exactly what material the two regular-sized devices will be made from, and whether or not they will include wireless charging as well.

For full details on what to expect from the flagship OLED iPhone 8 and its two companion devices, make sure to check out our dedicated iPhone 8 roundup, which is updated regularly with new rumors.

Article Link: Future iPhone May Use Customized Wireless Charging System Made in Partnership with Broadcom

2. Appleaker, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68020

I still think inductive charging on a phone is less convenient in most cases but I guess it's a selling point.

3. gim macrumors 6502

gim

As long as it's supporting the Qi standard...I would really hate a proprietary wireless charging standard by Apple.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68040

We're getting some heavyyyy rumors and we're over 6 months away from launch.

Gonna be a hell of a year.

5. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Sounds like a propretary standard is exactly what Apple will do. Do you really see them using a widely available Qi standard and allowing people to buy third party chargers, giving up all that extra revenue? No way.

6. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

I want a slightly smaller phone, with a higher resolution screen, better design with out the plastic lines on the top and bottom (I don't care where and how much they were changed in the iPhone 7, they are still there), better battery life, and a reflective deep blue option. But, you can't have everything

7. breather macrumors member

breather

Alright, Im gonna ask a potentially stupid question here.

Why is everybody talking about the iPhone 8. Isn't it iPhone 7s that is up next?

8. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

And it's sad that they will probably make it proprietary

9. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

If it's not long range I don't really see a point in the wireless charging :/

10. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Custom. Smh. Another proprietary bit of mullarkey from Apple instead of going with a universal standard. Lovely.

11. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I don't see Apple sticking to any existing standard, including Qi.

Does anyone remember this?

13. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Look at watch..it'll be proprietary variant offshoot of QI, so no cheaper Anker charger
    Your best hope is same Apl charger charges all your wireless chargable Apl devices*

More RPU... that is all

14. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

If it's not long-range, it's not really wireless... it's just 'disconnected'.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's still early but many people feel we're gonna get both at the same time.

Or rather, they think we're getting 2 completely different models and for simplicity's sake we're calling them the 7S and the 8 just so we can have conversations. That may not be what either one is called.

16. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

I think 7. 7s and X(8)

17. manu chao macrumors 603

They did so with the Apple Watch, sort of. You can get plenty of third-party chargers. Because of the size of watch not any plain Qi charger will work (and without the magnet for good alignment efficiency would be lower) but it is the same technology.

18. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Apple wildin' lmao big ass phone with a smaller screen :dead:

19. manu chao macrumors 603

I'd say 'plug-less' would be pretty appropriate, ie, no need to plug anything in (or unplug anything).

20. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Same here, but like many others here I'm afraid a proprietary solution is exactly what they're going to do.

21. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

It's amusing how when something is said (not meaning anyone here) regarding Apple it is often said in a way that sounds like they are the first to do something.

22. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

Don't know about others but I would love a wireless mat big enough for my phone and watch; would just have to lay it down for it to charge. Simple

23. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Because it is rumored that they will release both the 7s and 8 this year...if I understand correctly. The 8 will be the high end, OLED model. Because Apple.

24. MoodySasquatch macrumors newbie

MoodySasquatch

Well yeah. They have to make money somewhere cause it sure as hell isn't in the Mac line of computers.

25. breather macrumors member

breather

Confuse-a-cat
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017 ---
    Thanks, we will see later I guess.