Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to use a low-power backplane technology called LTPO for future iPhones, according to Korean website The Elec. The backplane is responsible for turning individual pixels on and off on the display.

series-5-ltpo.jpg

From the report:
Apple, meanwhile, is moving to more widely apply LTPO panels to its iPhones. This means it needs to find ways to work together with Samsung Display, which is holding its own in terms of both technological prowess and production capacity in the small and mid-sized OLED sector.
LTPO, or low-temperature polycrystalline oxide, has an Oxide TFT structure that uses up to 15 percent less power than LTPS, or low-temperature polysilicon, the backplane technology that Apple currently uses. Naturally, that could contribute to longer battery life on future iPhones.

Apple Watch Series 4 and Series 5 models already feature LTPO displays. Apple's website says the technology enables Series 5 models to have the same up-to-18-hour battery life as Series 4 models despite having an always-on display:
The low temperature poly-silicon and oxide display features a reinvented pixel architecture that lets the screen refresh rate dip from 60Hz to a power-sipping 1Hz when the watch is inactive. A new low-power driver, ultra-efficient power management, and a new ambient light sensor work together so the display can stay always on with up to 18 hours of battery life.
Apple's transition to OLED started small with the original Apple Watch in 2015, followed by the iPhone X in 2017, so it would not be surprising if LTPO expands from the Watch to the iPhone as early as next year.

Article Link: Future iPhones Expected to Adopt Apple Watch's Low-Power LTPO Display Technology

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanilla35

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I just hope they would have ironed out any possible battery impacts by then.

What battery impacts? Nothing is free... even power sipping is, well, power sipping. It IS going to use power when always on. If you don't like that, you can turn off 'always on.' Problem solved. Physics.

Edit: I like 'always on' on my Series 5 and accept it might drain the power slightly faster. Not a real life problem for me. But when I fly overseas I turn it off to get the last bit of power out.

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I just hope they would have ironed out any possible battery impacts by then.

Where did this say they are going to be always-on displays? I just got the impression they plan to use the lower power displays in general for what would amount to a decent amount of battery savings.

Knowing Apple, they will reduce the battery size and make it thinner instead of passing on the higher battery live.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Wait the 4 and 5 have this tech? So is the battery the only reason the 4 doesn't have always on?

they also gave the 5 a screen that can change its refresh rate.

The low temperature poly-silicon and oxide display features a reinvented pixel architecture that lets the screen refresh rate dip from 60Hz to a power-sipping 1Hz when the watch is inactive. A new low-power driver, ultra-efficient power management, and a new ambient light sensor work together so the display can stay always on with up to 18 hours of battery life.
[automerge]1572031587[/automerge]
Didn’t the teardowns reveal that both models have the exact same battery? I’m pretty sure it’s just typical Apple holding back on those software upgrades in order to sell the newer model.

Reactions: CarlJ

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Wow, I called it a week ago:

• Love
Reactions: newyorksole

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
Where did this say they are going to be always-on displays? I just got the impression they plan to use the lower power displays in general for what would amount to a decent amount of battery savings.

Knowing Apple, they will reduce the battery size and make it thinner instead of passing on the higher battery live.

Considering they have increased thickness and battery size for a few years now, I think are actually listening to customer and prioritizing it. What it will likely enable is 5G radio usage to get the same battery life as LTE where Android phones may have to take a big hit.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I know it's not really practical to do so, even though it can be done, but as I say, not in a neat way.
It's such a shame a super flexible battery cannot be fitted into some straps.
Perhaps one day tech will evolve where this can be done without being noticeable.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
That would be great. So the display can dim like the Apple Watch but the color is still shown. With very little battery impact relative to battery size.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Next year‘s iPhone is shaping up to be a really compelling hardware upgrade if all the rumors will come true: 120 Hz display, 2-way charging, USB-C, 5G, Time of Flight sensor, a new frame design and now this. Really looking forward to the 2020 iPhones.
HA! Be prepared for disappointment. Doubt half of the rumored features will even be on the 2020 phones.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
HA! Be prepared for disappointment. Doubt half of the rumored features will even be on the 2020 phones.
Considering some of the mentioned features have even been rumored for the 2019 iPhones I don't think it's very unlikely to see most of these features next year but let's just wait and see ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.