Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi there, I was wondering if any of you Mac Pro enthusiasts have any guesses for how long we'll be able to install new macOS releases.

I have a stock 2010 Mac Pro just sitting here unused. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to update the video card and add a new drive, or save up for a new machine. We would only want to use it as long as it could run the latest macOS, though, and probably wouldn't bother upgrading it if it was only good for a year, you know?

Thanks!

applesaucePro

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2018
apple has told me they usually block updates to the computers at around the 7 year mark. but i'm not sure if this is completely accurate or not.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
apple has told me they usually block updates to the computers at around the 7 year mark. but i'm not sure if this is completely accurate or not.
Your reply adds nothing of value...

Vague, uncertain, and is it 7 years from the sale date of a specific system, or 7 years from the announcement date of the model, or 7 years from the first shipment of the model, or 7 years from the last shipment of the model?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
This is all idle speculation until Apple releases the next OS and declares where the next cut will be but thats likely a few years from now ... maybe more so be happy while you can for tomorrow we 'might' die.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Hi there, I was wondering if any of you Mac Pro enthusiasts have any guesses for how long we'll be able to install new macOS releases.

I have a stock 2010 Mac Pro just sitting here unused. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to update the video card and add a new drive, or save up for a new machine. We would only want to use it as long as it could run the latest macOS, though, and probably wouldn't bother upgrading it if it was only good for a year, you know?

Thanks!
You could donate it to someone like me.

Reactions: macsforme

applesaucePro

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2018
one of the tech support managers at apple looked up the durations of all macs where upgrades ended and averaged it out for me when I asked about this a few months ago. he said apple doesn't have any official policy about how long you will get updates. 7 years from the launch day of the model is the average duration of upgrade support, you could get more or less than this, so thats why he had to average it. I do know that windows support duration has always been 8 years, and you can keep paying for additional years of support by special arrangement, which is why I was asking apple about their policy. i was told if you make a deal with apple corporate sales then they might give you a special support contract to keep getting upgrades... not sure if true, didn't follow up on that.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
one of the tech support managers at apple looked up the durations of all macs where upgrades ended and averaged it out for me when I asked about this a few months ago. he said apple doesn't have any official policy about how long you will get updates. 7 years from the launch day of the model is the average duration of upgrade support, you could get more or less than this, so thats why he had to average it. I do know that windows support duration has always been 8 years, and you can keep paying for additional years of support by special arrangement, which is why I was asking apple about their policy. i was told if you make a deal with apple corporate sales then they might give you a special support contract to keep getting upgrades... not sure if true, didn't follow up on that.
Are you going to plan your work on fuzzy stuff like this, or work on "Plan B"?

The cMP is dying - work on the replacement. And the replacement won't be the closed, proprietary MP7,1 - it will be an HP Z-series or similar system.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
If it will earn you the cost of the upgrades I don't see why you shouldn't if.

Well... you're right, only this isn't used for work. It would just be a second home computer, probably mostly used for managing our photos and videos. That's why we'd want it running the latest macOS, because they keep introducing new features in the iOS Photos app that the Mac Photos app needs to support.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Well... you're right, only this isn't used for work. It would just be a second home computer, probably mostly used for managing our photos and videos. That's why we'd want it running the latest macOS, because they keep introducing new features in the iOS Photos app that the Mac Photos app needs to support.

If the Gold Master of 10.14 does indeed support the 2010 cMP( Apple is known to say a machine will be supported, then pulling the plug on the in the bata stage ), then support will last around 3 years from the date Apple releases it to manufacturing.

I think we can all be as sure as anyone can be that 10.14 will be the last macOS to support the cMP.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Considering the planned shift from Intel x86 to Apple A-series ARM cpu’s is almost upon us... the 4,1(flashed as 5,1) and the 5,1 should maintain relevance until intel support is removed from MacOS.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Considering the planned shift from Intel x86 to Apple A-series ARM cpu’s is almost upon us... the 4,1(flashed as 5,1) and the 5,1 should maintain relevance until intel support is removed from MacOS.
Apple ARM may grace laptops soon, but I doubt it'll come to the high-core-count desktops for a very long time, so it's going to be a split product line with no total transition

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I think we can all be as sure as anyone can be that 10.14 will be the last macOS to support the cMP.
I'm known to be a bit of an optimist, but not unrealistically so. I am not at all sure that 10.14 will be the last version of MacOS for the cMP. In fact I think there is a better-than 50-50 shot that 10.15 will be supported on it too.

And my reasoning for that is that Apple almost never (I haven't actually checked every single release so I'm not confident enough to say never) drops models from its supported list two releases in a row.

Lion supported all the Snow Leopard models
Mountain Lion dropped a bunch
Mavericks supported the same list as Mountain Lion
Yosemite supported the same models as Mavericks
El Capitan supported the same models as Yosemite
Sierra dropped a bunch
High Sierra supported the same models as Sierra
Mojave dropped a bunch

Granted, Apple can do whatever it wants but there is usually a specific reason they drop support for an older model (and it's usually related to the GPU). Really, if Apple wanted to drop the cMP 5,1 they would have done it this year (and they still might--as someone else said it ain't official until the GM release) because the stock cards in those machines were all not metal-capable.

I really doubt Apple would suggest everyone with a 5,1 go out and drop $100+ on a new video card and then cut them off from future MacOS upgrades a year later for arbitrary reasons. If the pattern is anything to go by, the next MacOS release probably won't drop any models, and if 10.16 does then it may be for CPU reasons rather than GPU.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the matter. People can disagree, but I think the big reprieve for the 5,1 was this year, and next year will just be gravy.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple ARM may grace laptops soon, but I doubt it'll come to the high-core-count desktops for a very long time, so it's going to be a split product line with no total transition
I could imagine A-series CPUs in a line of low-end laptops analogous to ChromeBooks. They'd be for the people who don't like tablets, and want an integrated keyboard and pointing device.

Not MacBook Pro replacements.
[doublepost=1529611532][/doublepost]
Considering the planned shift from Intel x86 to Apple A-series ARM cpu’s is almost upon us....
When did Apple announce these plans - or do you think repeating a rumour enough times will make it come true?

Reactions: ssgbryan

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I could imagine A-series CPUs in a line of low-end laptops analogous to ChromeBooks. They'd be for the people who don't like tablets, and want an integrated keyboard and pointing device.

Not MacBook Pro replacements.
[doublepost=1529611532][/doublepost]
When did Apple announce these plans - or do you think repeating a rumour enough times will make it come true?

Haha a rumor... Riiiight. Personally, I expect intel to be dumped like a bad date. The sooner the better. Apple has done this on multiple occasions. Each time, leaving old silicon in the dust.

Lets go back in time to the 68k transition to PPC. Or PPC to Intel. Each time the switch was abrupt. There is no need for apple to continue to coddle Intel and their archaic designs that have been stuck in the fudd for too many years. At least this transition will purge the windows virus from macs once and for all.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Your response is a link that repeats a rumour? What's the emoji for "so sad"?

Well.. the name of the forum is MacRumors. Which implies industry speculation. that leak in general has significant weight.

Forgot to mention Apple dumped Silicon Image / the power VR guys last year. Apple’s strategy was to open R&D offices nearby so they could pick up talent at the point of transition. I seem to remember Apple recently opening offices in Oregon, close to Intel R&D HQ. They did the same near AMD R&D HQ in Florida last year.

Then again there is cash strapped AMD. Without Apple’s funding, GCN through VEGA would not have been possible. ZEN/Navi is funded by Sony for the PS5, leaving a hole in AMD’s workstation line. Hmmmm.

We could be seeing not only a transition from Intel but from AMD Graphics as well. Perhaps this is why OpenGL has been removed from Mojave?

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
semantics. Clearly between two people who can’t agree how to spell rumor. lol

‘Plans’ aside, let’s call it ‘anticipated’. Does that help? There has been enough anticipation to effect long term projections for Intel. Regarding Apple’s poaching of Intel cpu designers. The writing in on the wall.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yes, keep repeating the rumours.
semantics. Clearly between two people who can’t agree how to spell rumor. lol
I didn't know that there was a debate about the spelling.

7522394570_7973630cc0_b[1].jpg

The Original Mac Rumours. 23 years before the misspelled website about Apple stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssgbryan

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
If you need a desktop machine right now and can afford it, upgrade the cMP with USB 3.1, a modern GPU and plenty of RAM and get stuck in, they're still very usable and quick machines if configured correctly.

If don't have an urgent need for it, start saving your pennies and hold off until next year for the new Mac Pro release.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I really doubt Apple would suggest everyone with a 5,1 go out and drop $100+ on a new video card and then cut them off from future MacOS upgrades a year later for arbitrary reasons.
It will be for a very specific reason, namely "It's time for you to buy this $5000+ mMP"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.