Future OS X Names Could Include Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma and Ventura

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2014.

1. Leandrogularte macrumors newbie

The new OS X 10.10 will be called OS X Yosemite. I got a source that confirmed it this morning.

2. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Which opens the door wide for people to call it OS X Half-done ;)

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

More likely to be used because of it vineyards--second to Napa.

4. deviant macrumors 65816

That's why they release new versions of OSX. To improve the existing ones. Do you prefer having OS X Mavericks Revision 2?

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Oh hey look. Badly set type!

Why bother posting this mockup?

6. ttss6 macrumors 6502

Seh-Koi-Ah I don't think people should have that hard of a time :p

7. koban4max macrumors 68000

well...if you ever had SL os x...you would know each update had some major improvements... They had been with SL for few years...
    Having another OS X is a big move...it's a whole another thing....i just feel they went too fast with getting another os version.

8. Nashpash14 macrumors newbie

9. blackpond macrumors 6502a

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I can see Eddie Cue like

And today we'd like to announce OS 10.10 pizza

Just kidding folks!

But seriously....

11. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Did anyone catch the part at the end of the article that Apple applied to trademark "Watch"? Really? You can do that?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of course, and you can expect your cease and desist order to arrive on Monday.

13. heimo macrumors 6502

That sounds close to Finnish word sekoa - to go haywire. The new Mac OS X 10.10 Go Bananas.

14. dakota747 macrumors member

dakota747

Os x 10.10?

Can someone please explain to me why they didn't make it OS X 11 instead of 10.10? because it almost seems like 10.1....

15. Asu macrumors member

Asu

Just call it OS Rin-Tin-Tin.

Oops, sorry, that would have been the canine line of names.

16. CartoonCat macrumors regular

CartoonCat

What I want to know is...will there ever be an OS X Eleven?

17. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Wasn't much a fan of using landmark names. They only make sense to people in the area while everyone else struggles to figure out how to pronounce them.

Being a perfectionist. It annoyed me they did it at 10.9 not 10.10.

However I like the a look of that for a background. :)

----------

Based on 10.10. There's 90 more to go...maybe.

18. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Reminds me of Microsoft's secret project Mojave... which was just Windows Vista, but re-named. Oh and the people saying they loved it were actually all paid actors. Oh and when I saw it written out, I pronounced it 'Moe-jab', and thought it sounded really stupid.

What's with the new naming? I'm not anti-American (I actually love the country + people) but Apple is a multi-national corporation. I don't know about most of these locations (other than Yosemite... because it was already the code name for the B&W G3). No joke, most of my friends/colleagues in Australia called it the 'yoze-might'.

Yes I am THAT ignorant!! But TBH using North American landmarks just doesn't have the same impact as large cats. Same with Google's constant references to the movie Bladerunner, and names like 'Icecream Sandwich'... they just sound stupid! I mean WTF... why would you get white bread, put it inside bread and eat it? Sounds pretty disgusting to me.

Apple set the style by using large cat names... now I think they have to continue it by choosing a more powerful object that are global and will have a strong impact globally. Not only have most of these names already been used, as an international customer, I just don't 'get' them, nor can I pronounce them without first hearing them! Surely some market research was done?

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Everybody will be waiting for the drop!

20. Parasprite, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Didn't go over well enough in the other thread eh? ;)

21. MacVista macrumors 6502

If the are going for the FLAT GUI, how ironic is it to use a mountain for it's logo?

----------

Oh-Is Ace - Ventura ? The pet detective?

22. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Ooh! I can help with this one. The names are alphabetical and all named after sweets: Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie came after it, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Froyo (frozen yoghurt) came before it.

Ice cream sandwiches are typically made with a sweet cake substance as the "bread" and is often chocolate or cookie (tastes somewhere between biscuits and cake) with an ice cream center. They are actually quite good

[​IMG]

23. sik08amg macrumors regular

sik08amg

Next year

24. deviant, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

deviant macrumors 65816

I started with Tiger, and the only one i didn't like down the road was Lion. Because it ruined Expose and introduced stupid things like Launchpad (although the Expose problem was bigger for me because while i could just hide and delete Launchpad i couldn't go back to classic expose and spaces) Apple is not like Microsoft releasing new systems every 5 years. It has always made little steps year by year. I can't understand what's your problem, really. Mavericks is an astonishing system. It runs like paradise even on my old 2007 iMac.

----------

For the 10000000th time. VERSIONS are NOT MATH. 10.10 is 10.1 in MATH, not in software versions

----------

Yeah, cause pronouncing Mavericks or Ventura is SOOOO difficult. . Let's just call it ONE, TWO, THREE. Just to be sure nobody makes a mistake. WAIT, somebody else is already doing it. Oh, well... Anyway, Yosemite isn't that hard to pronounce. It's famous, there are documentaries made about it. It's just like Treme, really. Once you hear it and say a couple of times it becomes natural

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a result of the play on words that was originally intended by the name OS X. It was not only the MacOS version succeeding 9.x, the name also refers to the Unix underpinnings. It's an "X" spoken as "ten" (I recall Steve being very clear about this when the name was first revealed). So this entire generation of MacOS is OS X, but since it would be awkward to label the versions X.1, X.2, etc., they adopted the (perhaps even more awkward) convention of OS X 10.1, 10.2. While this has always made the names redundant, they didn't sound too strange until OS X 10. The next one would be even worse (OS X 11).

So here's the historical irony behind the OS X names: The big cats were originally created by Apple as internal code names, but when they leaked out and began to appear in the media, they decided to use them publicly. After that happened, they should have (IMO) reversed the naming schemes, keeping the numbers for internal use, and using only the names for the public.

They may yet do that. This version of OS X could be marketed as simply "OS X Yosemite 1.0." Personally, I think that would be right way to go and would get them out of the trap they created for themselves back at the beginning.