Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Omg! I'm going to be the coolest nerd on the block once my replacement finishes syncing with iTunes.

Going to take pics of my brand-new replacement ip4 which was overnighted to me today, sitting right next to my previous ip4 so you can actually compare them side-by-side.

Gizmodo, wanna offer me $1,000 for the exclusive photo comparison? ;-P

Seriously though, I'll be back with high-res. pics in 20 mins or so. Was so excited I had to post first hehe...

Yes, I know I'm a big dork. More details to come including serial #'s, etc.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Omg! I'm going to be the coolest nerd on the block once my replacement finishes syncing with iTunes.

Going to take pics of my brand-new replacement ip4 which was overnighted to me today, sitting right next to my previous ip4 so you can actually compare them side-by-side.

Gizmodo, wanna offer me $1,000 for the exclusive photo comparison? ;-P

Seriously though, I'll be back with high-res. pics in 20 mins or so. Was so excited I had to post first hehe...

Yes, I know I'm a big dork. More details to come including serial #'s, etc.

looking forward to more details...

I smell troll!!!

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
My prox sensor is clearly visible and I received mine at the end of June. Gizmodo playing you all for f00ls

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Great. So it was another hardware issue. Whatever they used to obscure the sensor made it less sensitive, and after the complaints they went back to their old method.

That Gates/Jobs "Have you tested the new iPhone", "Neither did we" gag image is becoming more and more appropriate.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
After reading the initial post yesterday and looking at their thread I tried to see mine in as many light options as possible. I think I started seeing it sometimes only because I knew where it was.

Btw...mine doesn't have an issue. Even tested it with my finger to see if it was consistently turning on every time.

What about the question about the band being solid on top by the speaker jack?? I assumed it was just the angle of their picture that made it look like it was solid...probably just the edge of the glass was showing.

mr lee

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
So is this proximity sensor the only thing visibly different on your new phone compared to your other phone?

apple.fiend

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
You people clearly cant read. The OP was asking Gizmodo if they were interested in doing a photo comp. and giving him money to do so. :rolleyes:

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Why oh why must I have so much music... Alright screw this I'll cancel the sync and re-sync after taking photos.

I will answer all of your questions shortly, I'm going downstairs where there is good light to take some high-quality photos with my Canon SLR.

Going to go over it with a fine-toothed comb for any differences besides the prox sensor being visible.

And yeah, Giz if you wanna offer me money you have about 20 minutes to get the exclusive. C'mon, you know you have a bunch of cash lying around for situations like this. ;-P

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Has anyone established the possibility that there might be more than one manufacturing facility for iPhones? Didn't a few companies actually build the previous generations of iPhones, and we were all comparing serial numbers, screen quality, and other nuances of our iPhone builds?

FYI, I received my iPhone straight from China via an Apple order on June 23 and I can see the proximity sensor, even through my Invisible Shield. My wife's iPhone was received from a domestic shipment via an AT&T order on June 23 and she had to get hers replaced (camera issue).

I think this whole "second batch" theory may be bunk.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
P.S. I'm half-joking about wanting $1,000 from Giz... Half-joking... The pics will be posted here unless by some miracle I actually do hear from Giz in the next 20 mins or so.

And for those who have an early-production ip4 with visible prox sensor: That's great. Post a side-by-side comparison with an ip4 where it's not visible. Not calling you liars, just saying that a side-by-side photo will be something new.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
P.S. I'm half-joking about wanting $1,000 from Giz... Half-joking... The pics will be posted here unless by some miracle I actually do hear from Giz in the next 20 mins or so.

And for those who have an early-production ip4 with visible prox sensor: That's great. Post a side-by-side comparison with an ip4 where it's not visible. Not calling you liars, just saying that a side-by-side photo will be something new.

While you're waiting for Gizmodo to pay you for your pictures...which will be NEVER, could you describe if there are any differences besides the proximity sensor?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Great. So it was another hardware issue. Whatever they used to obscure the sensor made it less sensitive, and after the complaints they went back to their old method.

That Gates/Jobs "Have you tested the new iPhone", "Neither did we" gag image is becoming more and more appropriate.

That picture was hilarious. One that I actually saved.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

You ARE joking right? you honestly think you can make money with the same phone everyone else has... but with a slightly more visible proximity sensor. Even though this is big news in that Apple is changing the design, you'd only be first of many (and probably not even first by a long shot). So just post the pics already! :p

Sustainability

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
You guys do realize he is just trying to have a popular thread because most of the nerds on this website are just hungry for a new, INCREDIBLE story, right?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Has anyone established the possibility that there might be more than one manufacturing facility for iPhones? Didn't a few companies actually build the previous generations of iPhones, and we were all comparing serial numbers, screen quality, and other nuances of our iPhone builds?

FYI, I received my iPhone straight from China via an Apple order on June 23 and I can see the proximity sensor, even through my Invisible Shield. My wife's iPhone was received from a domestic shipment via an AT&T order on June 23 and she had to get hers replaced (camera issue).

I think this whole "second batch" theory may be bunk.

Certainly could be the case, but that would be horrible quality control if it is invisible (like on mine) and clearly visible on others.

Glad I have an invisible one that works....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.