Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I'd guess PowerMac :).
mklos said:
The 512MB of RAM would be your problem. You absolutely CANNOT run any major video editing program with only 512MB of RAM. I'd at least double that 512 and maybe go for 1.5MB of RAM. Then you will see the speed come out. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X installed. It may not be updated out of the box.

Seems like, if you need at least 1GB of RAM to get the speed to 'come out', the PM :))) is overrated.

scem0

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
mklos said:
The 512MB of RAM would be your problem. You absolutely CANNOT run any major video editing program with only 512MB of RAM. I'd at least double that 512 and maybe go for 1.5MB of RAM. Then you will see the speed come out. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X installed. It may not be updated out of the box.
Make that 2.0 GB, you'll want to have dual dimms (interleaving) for Best performance. IIRC...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Day #2

scem0 said:
I'd guess PowerMac :).

Seems like, if you need at least 1GB of RAM to get the speed to 'come out', the PM :))) is overrated.

scem0

You see! everybody complais about my threads but I am the one who always start to dig out the painful reality here and there :rolleyes:

Ok, I have the computer on my side and quietly is ding its job without complaining. Is very smooth even when I am searching in tho the file manus it gets stuck still while I am scrolling files up and down, I rememebr working with Silicon Graphics O2 and Indigo back in 1998 and THAT was an smooth scrolling and navigation.

After Effecs is the software that runs the best still. I do not see why the G5 need water cooling and those stuff, really for thye speed I am getting I do not know why it should make so much heat. Let see later on.

About ram... 512 is ok. about adding more ram.... well if with the engine of a BMW you can not scape from the police, what is so special about the price of car then?

The computer is not noisy at all, the powerbooks make more noise and I just realize there is just one firewire port in the back.

Well, so fas, so good, for sure I will get a dual 2.5 later on and add some good ram, anything better than a PC. And of course a 30" if I can get there too.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mymemory said:
About ram... 512 is ok. about adding more ram.... well if with the engine of a BMW you can not scape from the police, what is so special about the price of car then?

If you put regular gasoline in a BMW, you're not going to get far. It won't like it and you may be able to limp along at much lower performance but it won't give its best.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
mymemory said:
After Effecs is the software that runs the best still. I do not see why the G5 need water cooling and those stuff, really for thye speed I am getting I do not know why it should make so much heat.

The dual 2.0 is not water cooled.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
MacBandit said:
Power Management
Yea, did you turn the power management speed to Highest?
If its not, your gonna get maybe half the performance.
Just my experience with my 1.8 G5...

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
scem0 said:

Regardless of how fast your computer is, if you try to work on complex video projects in Final Cut and After Effects with only 512mb of RAM, you will get slow performance.

Extra RAM will speed up the performance of ANY computer when using those apps.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
monkeydo_jb said:
The dual 2.0 is not water cooled.

What?????? I thought it was a cool feature!

Any way, I just updated FCP to 4.1 and I am starting to fall in love with this thing... is going to be so hard to let her go, I still want a Dual 2.5 as a final computer.

I do not have the increase speed option because I made an image from my Powerbook to the G5 hard drive so I do not have to re install everything again.

But still, things are getting nicer, I'll keep reporting. :eek:

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
mymemory said:
What?????? I thought it was a cool feature!

Any way, I just updated FCP to 4.1 and I am starting to fall in love with this thing... is going to be so hard to let her go, I still want a Dual 2.5 as a final computer.

I do not have the increase speed option because I made an image from my Powerbook to the G5 hard drive so I do not have to re install everything again.

But still, things are getting nicer, I'll keep reporting. :eek:

Go to system preferences and then Energy Saver. Then change the system optimization.

If I knew what Apple Store you were abusing like this, I would call them and alert them. You should be ashamed.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
mymemory said:

I would point to this as the cause of any speed problem you may be having.

I don't have any facts in front of me, but most likely when Panther is installed
it detects what processor type you are using and installs an optimized version
of the OS for that CPU.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Fukui said:
Make that 2.0 GB, you'll want to have dual dimms (interleaving) for Best performance. IIRC...
Well, actually, you have no choice but to install memory sticks in pairs in a G5. Memory is always interleaved. If he has 512 MB total, it means he has 2 x 256 MB dimms installed. He's using 2 of the 8 memory slots.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
monkeydo_jb said:
I would point to this as the cause of any speed problem you may be having.

I don't have any facts in front of me, but most likely when Panther is installed
it detects what processor type you are using and installs an optimized version
of the OS for that CPU.
That is what i was about to say, It copies specific stuff. you have a 64-bit OS and you just copied a 32-bit driver-d OS to your dual 2...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hoef said:
What is PM .... ?

The rare significant other who suffers only one day per month. Sadly, the vast majority deal with the plural.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hoef said:
A G5 has a power management feature? I thought that was the realm of laptops..
Nope. All G5s have a power management.
Set to automatic, it cycles the CPU speed based on the load, but unfortunately this is not so smooth, so you get bursts of full performance, then drops, then bursts... setting to full speed ensures max performance always.

daggett2

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2004
ram pairing

daveL said:
Well, actually, you have no choice but to install memory sticks in pairs in a G5. Memory is always interleaved. If he has 512 MB total, it means he has 2 x 256 MB dimms installed. He's using 2 of the 8 memory slots.

...so, for instance if u configure with a pair of 1 GB, you should match the orig. 256MB as well? or what do u do with the widow? or does it really affect performance that much?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
daggett2 said:
...so, for instance if u configure with a pair of 1 GB, you should match the orig. 256MB as well? or what do u do with the widow? or does it really affect performance that much?

There are already a pair of memory sticks in there no widows. If you have 256MB of RAM then you have a pair of 128MB memory cards in there. Dual2.0s come with 512MBs though not 256MBs so it should have a pair of 256MB cards.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
mymemory said:
The computer is not noisy at all, the powerbooks make more noise and I just realize there is just one firewire port in the back.

There are two FireWire ports on the back. One is FW400 and the other is FW800. If you don't have a FW800 device don't worry. Just get a 9-pin to 6-pin (or even 4-pin) adapter to use that FW800 with FW400 devices at FW400 speeds.

Besides that, it was a very unwise decision to copy the (it's hard to say "your" when referring to computers you use) PowerBook's image to the Power Mac G5. Don't blame Apple for your pathetic experience, blame yourself. You've hobbled the system yourself, as jackieonassis pointed out.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
debroglie said:
If I knew what Apple Store you were abusing like this, I would call them and alert them. You should be ashamed.
That should be pretty easy. Presuming his profile is correct and he's actually in Miami, there are only 5 Apple stores in Florida! Give them a call and let them know about the twerp that's hosing them over! Then he'll have to pay the restocking fee! :) (Direct them to this thread as well.) ;)

The Falls
8888 S.W. 136th Street
Miami, FL 33176
(305) 234-4565

AVENTURA
19575 BISCAYNE BLVD STE 1155
AVENTURA, FL 33180
305-692-4448

BOCA RATON
6000 W GLADES RD STE 1121
BOCA RATON, FL 33431
561-338-0478

WELLINGTON GREEN
10300 W FOREST HILL BLVD
WELLINGTON, FL 33414
561-795-5630

Have fun! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.