Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Mav451
i would think that it's the otherway around.

The very hypertransport that Mac touts is made by AMD, not Mac.

PCI-X has been in opteron boxes since june.

I build my OWN computers that cost less than 400bucks for each upgrade cycle.

Take for example my current configuration. I decided to swap out my old Asus A7V mobo based on the aging via kt133 technology, to be replaced by the more common Nforce2 motherboard of today.

how much to build me one?
a7n8x cost 114 bucks at the time of the purchase. The cpu upgrade cost 87 bucks, the ram was 84 bucks total, and the 185.5 GB hard drive was 160 bucks.

Total: $446 (all bought from NewEgg.com)

I prefer to catch technology at the back end, saving me well over 50% of what i would be spending at the time of its initial release.
I am not an exorbitant spender. I prefer to get the best value for my money. I'm not saying that what i have is better than macs. it simply fits my budget better (400 buck upgrade every 3 years).

Oh and lastly, i drive a civic.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Cubeboy
Around $2600 for a dual 1.4 GHz Opteron workstation with 1 GB RAM, Quadro FX500 video card, and 120 gig hard-drive, around $3600 for a dual 1.8 GHz/1.6 GHz Opteron workstation with the same specifications. I suspect that only the 1.6/1.8 GHz models can compete against a Dual 2 GHz G5 so we've still got the best price/performance if not also the performance crown. Oh well, time well tell.
are these build yourself or a name brand cpu maker

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by allpar
OK...

How about a benchmark of the 1.6 GHz G5? Anyone? They MUST be out there. I'm really considerig saving $300 and getting a dual G4 with 9-booting.

I know you may not believe apples benchmarks, but lets say they are not that far off, looks like even the cheapie will be a good amount faster than the old Macs in all tasks. What do you have for a mac now, and what do you do with it?
I'm doing audio,video and imaging, I may keep what I have and get the cheapie and sell that when the next rev comes out in Dec.
I like having 2 or 3 machines. Thats way faster than one really fast one!
daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.