Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Did I mention the comparison of technology? No. I was merely referring to the topic which is, unless I'm mistaken, 'G71 vs 17" MBP'. The fact is, if you're lugging around a large ugly black G73 - you're going to look like a clumsy, unorganised mess in comparison to a beautifully slim and pure white MBP. MBP's are special in the way that they combine 'social prowess' with efficient computing and I just felt like highlighting that. Problem? :D

Again, I did not mention anything about comparison of technology.
Wait till the refresh :)

So shush your socks.

Last time I checked the MBP and G73 are both pieces of technology. So, yes, you were comparing two pieces of technology. This doesn't necessarily mean you were comparing the technology that makes them run. Being socially inept has no bearing on these two items in any sense.

Anyone who judges someone based off of something they own is a fool. Anyone who purchases something to gain in a social aspect is a bigger fool. Personally I find that anyone who judges anyone is a fool, but to each their own.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
When the last thread like this one kicked off, the thread saying that the Sony Vaio Z was the stone cold killer of the MBP, I foolishly got involved. But I have learned. Thus, what follows will be my first, and last, word in this thread.

PCs are PCs and Macs are Macs, especially in the case of laptops. Those of us who have been longtime owners of Powerbooks and Macbooks have learned to appreciate the reliability, brilliant design, and thinness of the Macbook lineup. And that's before we even mention than only Macs can run both OS X and Windows apps right out of the box.

It seems to me that threads like this one mostly serve as soapboxes for those who hate Macs. Those folks, you know who they are, seem to be more envious than hateful, though. Why else would they say that those of us who still buy Macbook Pros are stupid, foolish, ill informed, ad nauseam. No comparison of the Macbook Pro's features to those of any just released flavor of the week Windows laptop makes their kind of wining a bit more convincing, at least not to me.

Good night and good luck. :)

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
only Macs can run both OS X and Windows apps right out of the box.

If you assume that everyone obeys the Terms of Use.

I am a technology fan, not a PC fan nor a Mac fan. I enjoy all OSes, but I will still point out a blatantly ignorant comparison or biased statement. Why would we want incorrect information to circulate?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Why haven't they dropped mbp prices? Who in their right mind would get it instead of a more powerful and cheaper pc?

people who say stuff like "but just think of the value and the experience that you're getting out of this thing." give me a break. that's like buying a never before used car from 1999 for $20k when the competition offers a much newer and better performing version from 2010 for the same amount of money.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
people who say stuff like "but just think of the value and the experience that you're getting out of this thing." give me a break. that's like buying a never before used car from 1999 for $20k when the competition offers a much newer and better performing version from 2010 for the same amount of money.

This issue has already been addressed. When Apple updates their computers, that's the time to buy. When it's been over a year since they've been updated, don't buy one.

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Last time I checked the MBP and G73 are both pieces of technology. So, yes, you were comparing two pieces of technology. This doesn't necessarily mean you were comparing the technology that makes them run. Being socially inept has no bearing on these two items in any sense.

Anyone who judges someone based off of something they own is a fool. Anyone who purchases something to gain in a social aspect is a bigger fool. Personally I find that anyone who judges anyone is a fool, but to each their own.

Okay sure, if you want to get pedantic, they are two pieces of technology. However in the current world image is everything. I'm sorry to break this to you but lets look at a brief example.

Going to an interview.
(for the sake of argument lets say its a job in advertising)

Sit A) Wearing a perfectly fitted suit with white shirt and black tie to compliment.

Sit B)
Wearing a fluorescent yellow shirt with jeans.

Who do you think will be more likely to get the job?

Right now you're comparing a newly released laptop and one that has an imminent refresh. Of course theres a difference. It's like comparing french bread after a week of buying it in opposition to it's fresh state. It isn't a fair comparison.

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Okay sure, if you want to get pedantic, they are two pieces of technology. However in the current world image is everything. I'm sorry to break this to you but lets look at a brief example.

Going to an interview.

Sit A) Wearing a perfectly fitted suit with white shirt and black tie to compliment.

Sit B)

I would assume the person with the required skills would get the job.

If I ever found out that someone that worked for me hired someone else based on how they looked, I would fire them. This sort of thinking and behavior does nothing to advance our society as a whole. Making a decision based off of looks is such an ignorant and immature thing to do.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009

If I ever found out that someone that worked for me hired someone else based on how they looked, I would fire them. This sort of thinking and behavior does nothing to advance our society as a whole. Making a decision based off of looks is such an ignorant and immature thing to do.

Not that this has anything to do with the two laptops at hand, but when it comes to people, the way one dresses in any situation says a lot about who they are.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Going to an interview.

Sit B)

Right now you're comparing a newly released laptop and one that has an imminent refresh. Of course theres a difference. It's like comparing french bread after a week of buying it in opposition to it's fresh state. It isn't a fair comparison.
I thought Mac was the slacker in jeans and PC was the well kept gentleman with a tie.

What do interviews and attire have to do with what computer you own?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
.. and the amount of stuff one draws from another's appearance says a lot about that person's intellect.

For example, you can have nice old clothing that looks faded, or you can have new cheap clothing. Obviously, when you go to an interview it is best to wear your best.

Anyway, I think having an Asus laptop in your bag could prove a very strong point if the subject came up at a job interview:

*unpacking laptop for some reason*
*sarcastically looking at blue LED bar* "That's quite a machine you have there"
*shrug* "Yes, it is a bit odd looking but the i7 has made for quite a useful machine"
"i7?"
"Yeah I use it to do 3D rendering and make video games in my spare time"
"I see"

vs the Apple Laptop:
*unpacking laptop*
"Oh very nice, a Mac, why did you pick that over a PC?"
"I can't stand Windows computers!"
"Oh, did you know we're all Windows here?"
*insert Mac fanboy rant here*

:D

Of course, if you're resourceful you can turn anything "bad" into a good thing:
"Too much of a good thing is simply wonderful"

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
"Oh very nice, a Mac, why did you pick that over a PC?"
"I can't stand Windows computers!"
"Oh, did you know we're all Windows here?"

Why would someone who works with Macs be interviewing for an exclusively Windows company?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Why would someone who works with Macs be interviewing for an exclusively Windows company?
I'd rather have a job to be honest.

I work in a Windows only environment. Not that we don't have a few iPhone applications floating around.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002

It depends on what you're doing. If you sit all day in FCP, yeah I can see why NOT to be Windows based, but if you're doing almost anything else it's not going to hurt (much, if at all).

I'm a nerd first, Mac user second. If I'm given a nice enough computer, I'll be more than happy to use it to do my job. :)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
8? try 4! I've read the real reviews and they all say it gets 4 hours when actually doing stuff. the 8 hour figure is the fake figure apple gives you where they have it on doing nothing at all under optimal conditions.

This thread is too much for me to read all of at 2am, but, I will say, my friend uses his at uni, and averages at 7 hours, with quite a bit of wifi use and constant note taking.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not the type to argue... but I have to stop you there. Your associating PC's with external mouse? (Mice? Lol) That's so very wrong in so many ways... Sure, the touchpad is great but working for hours on some 3 x 2 inch trackpad will eventually become annoying as hell.

So if you don't mind. I'm not going to trust you. :D

I'm a Mac and I love the MM.

ONTOPIC : I own a G71 as well as a MBP, they're ugly things. Mac's are beautiful inventions, just be patient. Refresh for this Tuesday FTW. Don't try and compare an asus and a MBP unless your socially retarded.

I would understand for the need of an external mouse if the students were running photoshop or playing a game BUT they were just using it to open pdf files and surf the net.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I dunno, I've used my sony's trackpad for everything, as I did with my Mac laptops so.. whatever.

You guys are being incredible. XD I love hearing the excuses for being so narrow minded (when you guys go bitching about how narrow minded the rest of the world is for not wanting to use a Mac)

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Thing is, the iPhone snobs touting a Prada case and tight jeans wouldn't touch the 17" MacBook Pro with a 10 foot pole, because it doesn't fit in the glovebox of their Audi, and Prada doesn't make a bag big enough for it.
Other then something built in the soviet block exactly which cars do have a glove box big enough to fit a 17" MBP?

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
These computers are meant for different things. The Asus is meant for gaming and 3-D rendering, while the MBP is meant for more multitasking and home use. Not that a mac is not possible of the other tasks, but that the Asus was built for power, not portability. The MBP was built for portable performance and ease of use. This argument is too fueled by preference, when in reality, they were designed for different tasks. That is my final say on the subject.

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not saying I advocate it. I hate it! However I've just learnt over the years that it's just the way it is, image gets you far in life. E.g. You have equally adaquate skills as another potential employee yet they are better looking? The decision is made.

The general consensus is that image matters.

p.s. just to emphasise, I don't agree with this issue one bit.

Edit: this is going far too off topic, the job example was just for the sake of argument - please don't take it too literally. The only point I am trying to make is that an MBP is a more appealing computer than a G73 with the moral message of how image matters. If you don't agree with this, feel free to quote me but don't just argue for the sake of it.

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
I would understand for the need of an external mouse if the students were running photoshop or playing a game BUT they were just using it to open pdf files and surf the net.

Well it's just a personal preference, but if I'm working for about 5 consecutive hours - I am usually not in the mood for the trackpad. An External mouse just makes life simpler for this kind of work (I study graphics so photoshop is pretty much all there)

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not saying I advocate it. I hate it! However I've just learnt over the years that it's just the way it is, image gets you far in life. E.g. You have equally adaquate skills as another potential employee yet they are better looking? The decision is made.

The general consensus is that image matters.

p.s. just to emphasise, I don't agree with this issue one bit.

Edit: this is going far too off topic, the job example was just for the sake of argument - please don't take it too literally. The only point I am trying to make is that an MBP is a more appealing computer than a G73 with the moral message of how image matters. If you don't agree with this, feel free to quote me but don't just argue for the sake of it.

I argue the general opinion that looks matter because I think it is childish. It may be the way things are now, but that doesn't mean we can change it.

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
I argue the general opinion that looks matter because I think it is childish. It may be the way things are now, but that doesn't mean we can change it.

I don't want to sound rude, but could you rephrase that?

(honestly don't want to sound rude)

Edit : did you mean can't?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
the asus is 7lbs and lasts 2-3 hours. the mbp lasts like what 4 hours? i think its pretty similar as both are 17" laptops and nobody expects to carry these around everywhere.

the OP's point is plenty valid. 17" computers in general are not going to be portable, so battery life and weight aren't as important. Software (OSX) is significant, of course, in this comparison, but we're talking about hardware here and apple's hardware is ~5 months out of date with no update in sight at the SAME PRICES as when it was initially released. Apple's margins must just be ridiculous right now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.