Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Faux Carnival, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hello guys, after reading Slashgear and Engadget reviews of Galaxy Nexus, I am really really excited about it. Google and Samsung have nailed it this time! This phone is perfect.

I am still trying to decide between these two and need help. Here is a list of pros of each device. I'd appreciate it if you could add to the list. Thanks.

Galaxy Nexus:
    - Faster in everything except graphics
    - Larger screen
    - Better browsing, Gmail and Google services

iPhone 4S:
    - Much better camera
    - Much much better graphics
    - More elite design and build quality
    - App Store

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I mean you are already saying the Galaxy Nexus is perfect so it seems you kind of already have your mind made up.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

How about the most important question:

- Which one has the best battery life for your needs?

4. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

As far as I've seen on the reviews, the battery life is identical on both devices, which is 7-8 hours of wi-fi browsing.

5. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Here are some off the top of my head to add.

iphone:
    Higher resell value
    Camera quality slightly better
    siri has more commands than android's voice control

galaxy nexus:
    NFC
    Better screen
    0 shutter lag camera
    More robust OS
    turn by turn nav
    better multimedia experience
    Better cloud integration (can even upload video to the cloud)

6. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

Higher resell value was one of the factors bugging me actually...

7. Sonisk macrumors member

Whats up with all the Samsung threads on this mac/apple forum? Are there just allot of fandroids trolling this place recently?

8. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Maybe you should weight the cons also. See what you come out with. For me, I personally prefer the Nexus for a multitude of reasons. One big reason is that on the iphone you have to jailbreak it and mod it just to get it somewhat close (but still not the same level) to the level of functionality that I'd get out of the box on the Galaxy Nexus. Also, for me another big one is NFC. As I have been using my Nexus S I have gotten quite accustomed to using my phone to pay for things in many different businesses. This has proven to be quite convenient and I'm not willing to give it up. That being said I threw together a quick list of cons off the top of my head.

Cons:

iphone:
    chained to itunes (have to use itunes to do even the simplest of tasks like custom ringtones)
    icloud doesn't allow video to reside in the cloud
    lack of customization
    High end market's smallest screen
    Antiquated design (the phone has a large amount of bezel and a large physical button)
    Uncomfortable to hold (no ergonomics)
    no turn by turn nav
    no nfc
    no 4g (depending on carrier)
    proprietary accessories (ie charger)

galaxy nexus:
    optics could be better (no backside illumination)
    value will depreciate quickly compared to iphone
    size (I consider it a plus but some may consider it a negative)

----------

The OP isn't trolling, he's simply weighing his options, and in the process is asking the community for their input. While I agree there have been some troll threads, this definitely is not one of them. In a market where there are phones out there that are as good or better options than the iphone, some people may find it difficult to decide on a device. There's nothing wrong with them seeking outside opinions to help make their decision. This is one of the good threads.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Sounds like you're set for the Nexus. Go with that.

If resale value is important to you get the iPhone. You'll get a much better resale value with the iPhone 4S in a year's time compared to the Nexus.

10. charliecc macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I went with the Nexus having owned the iPhone 3G, 3Gs and 4. I am not disappointed, apart from the serious volume issue, but hoping that will be resolved soon.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Resale shouldn't even enter the picture unless you're so tight for money that (respectfully) you can't afford either phones.

Get into the present moment & decide which is best for you.

I use both platforms & focus on their strengths. But that's just me since I like to enjoy them and not be negative.

Currently of the two, I greatly prefer the Nexus due to many factors. One of the highest on my list of priorities is the "Pure Android Experience" that is only offered on the Nexus. This greatly outweighs any perceived negatives on a spec sheet. The big advantage is having full & immediate availability to any & all Android OS updates. I have first hand experience with an SGS II presently, and as great as it is, I still prefer my Nexus.

So that's my take on it.

12. tinymille macrumors newbie

One thing that kills me about Android is the fact that there are new phones like every month. The Galaxy Nexus will be the best Android phone for no more than a few months before something better comes out. A year or two years from now, it may not even get the latest android updates. iOS 5 was available for the 3GS, phones that old on Android are being thrown away.

13. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I'm really confused. What's wrong with my post?

Both are excellent handsets. If only Galaxy Nexus had a better build quality... Even the camera is not a big deal for me.

----------

I agree but fortunately that's not the case with the Nexus line.

14. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

This is a concern I've never really understood. There's no rule that says every time a new device comes out that you have to go get it. Furthermore, high end devices don't come out on one single carrier constantly. There are a lot of phones but most are low to mid end anyway. The thing that I really don't get about that concern is, how can that be a negative thing (besides resell value). Over a course of a year things continue to improve and by the time you do choose to upgrade, there will have been significant progress made in the phone market. I don't see how an annual improvement is better just for the sake of being able to say you have the newest device for a year. I'd much rather have innovation. Besides, like I said nobody is forcing you to get a new phone when another one comes out...it's not like your phone suddenly becomes antiquated. But it is nice to have the option to get something better should you decide you would like to...whereas with the annual (or in the case of the last release 18 month) improvement pattern, you have to wait an extended period of time for what may not even be a substantial improvement.

15. tinymille macrumors newbie

Resell value, and the fact that some of these phones never see Android OS updates. For example, around the time the iPhone 4 was hot, the Evo and Epic 4G were strong competitors and top of the line Android phones. iPhone 4 got the new iOS 5, Epic 4G just got gingerbread. That's kind of ridiculous in my opinion. You might not be able to get a new phone for another 2 years, but i would at least like to have new software updates.

It's not so much about having the "newest" phone, but after a year or so, the phone can get boring, and a refresh in the software could be nice.

16. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Yeah you make a good point with the phones you referenced. However, that does not effect the Nexus line at all. The Nexus S receives it's updates as soon as they are available as they come straight from google. As for what you were saying about getting bored with an OS and needing a refresh, I wouldn't use iOS as an example in that regard (considering it is pretty much the same OS it's been for years). And, gingerbread wasn't an exciting update either, it was more of update that added better optimizations. All in all, you are right, manufacturers do need to do a better job of keeping devices updated, but there is also blame at the feet of the carriers too (but that's a whole different conversation that I won't get into on this thread). In the end though, having more options and constant improvement is never a bad thing. Think of it this way, if not for that constant improvement and innovation, you the market would not be competitive and Apple would not have needed to acquire Siri or institute notifications. See, in a way you too benefited from the constant releases of better and better phones. Competition and innovation is good for everyone.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is the rapid pace of development as Android comes up to speed. Personally I welcome it. ICS marks the beginning of the end of fragmentation. A year from now fragmentation will drop off the radar.

Let's not be so dramatic when you assume they're being thrown away. There is no absolute law that says to be happy one must have the latest OS update. If that were true, 80% of the corporations that run the world would crash tomorrow. In the private sector you can't make that claim on the Mac computer side either.

Nothing is wrong with your post. Period.

As to build quality it's 2011, plastic is used everywhere for it's high quality. Once you have a new Nexus in hand you'll be very surprised at just how well it's made.

Fanbois complain about it's light weight. Then brag about how light a MacBook Air is.

Hello? It's Apple hypocrisy in action.

18. tinymille macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, i agree. It definitely helps competition and innovation. And to be honest, the Nexus line is probably where i would go if i wasn't an iPhone user.

But yeah, to the OP, i would go check out the reviews on the Verge for both of the phones. They both got the same rating, but they have really good in-depth reviews that might help you make a decision.

19. AlohaMaui macrumors member

I really like the lightweight of the Samsung GS2 and its large screen.
    It's also way more ergonomic to hold than the Iphone4.

Those views would also hold true for the Galaxy Nexus.

20. tinymille macrumors newbie

Yes, let's not be dramatic and take "thrown away" literally.

21. AlohaMaui macrumors member

The no OS update issue isnt that big a deal.

I had a iphone 3g and had to jailbreak it to unlock it.
    Since jailbreaking doesnt let u update the OS, I never updated the iphone since I had it originally.
    It was all fine and dandy, nothing wrong with it and used it everyday.

So, once you have a stable OS on the phone, not updating it wouldnt destroy the experience.

22. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

You must not have seen the reviews of Nexus Prime on youtube.

The build is outstanding, and the curved contour shape gives it an unique look. If anything its build quality is on par with the 4S or greater.

iPhone4S has slightly better camera
    Appstore only on iPhone 4S

That's all the benefits that iPhone4S has over the Nexus Prime.

23. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's also alsot smoother, no lag where there is alot of with the galaxy. Quicker opening apps and Internet speed it's pretty even.

Depends on your needs, both are great phones just depends what you look and what's important to you.

If you are a gamer, the 4s is a great option.

24. kevinof macrumors 6502a

There was no lag with my GSII and none with my new Nexus Prime. Smooth as butter! :)

25. juicytuna macrumors newbie

I have the Galaxy Nexus. There is no lag. Apps open as quick if not quicker than the 4s and the browser is definitely a touch quicker. The battery isn't quite as good however, particularly with heavy screen usage. But that's understandable given the difference in size and resolution. The sacrifice is well worth it for me, and I still easily get through the day on one charge.