Galaxy S8 plus or keep 7plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Apr 16, 2017.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

im so tempted to get the galaxy s8 plus, I've had iPhones from the start but they are getting boaring. My only worry is my kids use ipad to text me, so I'm guessing skype can replace that if I go with the s8.
    BTW Are we looking at a 7s to come out before the iPhone 8 ?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Samsung and Apple are entirely two different platforms, so you have to ask yourself if you can switch over to Android OS aside from the hardware. The S8 is a very nice phone, but aside from that, there is an adjustment away Apple's ecosystem. (Being you also have an iPad.)

And as far as an iPhone 7s, there is no confirmation indicating a 7S would debut before the iPhone 8, let alone if there even would be a 7s.

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Good point, I think I may have to just wait for the iPhone 8 .

4. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

I have three mobile phones
    Windows 10 phone (there is some useful two apps on there that I cant use on Iphone or Android), Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and the Iphone 6S Plus.

I alternate between all three,when needed or when I feel i need a change, and I usually end up going back to the Iphone in the end because it' just works the way I need it too. The Samsung galaxy note edge is a great to use as an ipod (as well as the Lumia).

It's entirely up to you, you need to weigh up by playing with a demo version of the phone in the Samsung store, get used to the operating system, the way it feel sand the bloatware comes along with it. Take a good week to do it or longer and then see if you really truley want to get it. Only then you will know for sure. No point in getting something straight away without taking it for a test flight.

5. blaine07 macrumors 65816

I couldn't decide. Have a iPhone 7+ and a S8+ is in the mail ‍♂️

6. htc fan macrumors 6502

Why not keep the ip7+ and get the s8 plus? That's what I'm going be doing

7. daffie macrumors member

daffie

Yup I have the 7+ and should be getting the S8 in the mail in just a couple more days...

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I say in general get your kids on Skype or Google chat.

Apple is good, but I've become against adding dependencies that only work OS specific in many cases.

While nice, ultimately they just make it that much more difficult to switch.

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

Samsung Galaxy phones have always been at the top when it comes to bleeding edge technology. IMO I look at them as flashy technology demonstrators when I mess with them at the store, of what's to come mainstream in the next few years. I've had a few in the past and they've all had malfunctions before the 2 year mark. One stopped charging, the other one the audio speaker stopped working. Maybe they've gotten better, who knows. but I'm very hesitant to get another after two previous lemons.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

As someone who attempted to switch, I ultimately hated Android and Google's reliance on being online all the time (even when I selected offline for my documents and movies, I still had to turn on internet access (either cellular or wifi) for the content to be accessible. That's counterintuitive and a royal PIA in my case.

Also if you go Android and use a different Messenger app than others, expect a delay between iOS and Android.

There are some nice phones out there, but I need to work offline and missed the simplicity of iOS.

11. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Exactly what I'm doing.

12. Ixon2001 macrumors member

Ixon2001

I've been an Android user for many years had most of the Galaxy Range in the past, while they great for the first few months Samsung have a habit of forgetting their past flagships in favour of their new shiny flagship, which will be the Note 8 in September which means the S8 & S8+ will be put on the backburner somewhat when it comes to updates.

The Note 8 will probably come with Android O or be the first to get it, the S8 will have to wait until possible Spring 2018 before it see's it.

While the latest Samsung Galaxy Range are great when they first come out, you soon get frustrated waiting for updates to come even when they released it could takes weeks if not months before it released for your region, & usually networks get priority over simfree aswell which is the case in the UK unfortunately.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Maybe because not everyone has unlimited money, or cannot justify having two phones.
    Congratulations?

14. nviz22 macrumors 68030

nviz22

I believe it's better to go S8 Plus. Outside of the processor, I think the S8 Plus wins in most regards. If you're in the States or a Snapdragon region, that processor will not be as great as an Exynos. The AMOLED screen is ridiculously fantastic. 4gb RAM may not sound as high as the OP3 or 3T, but it is sufficient enough for a flagship device.

Enhanced biometrics (as soon as Samsung patches the facial detection) is huge plus for me. I rather have an always on fingerprint scanner and Iris Scanner combo than just Touch ID 2.0. Samsung Pay blows Apple Pay away.

The S8+ camera is better than the 7+'s dual camera module. The front facing camera is better as well. Snapchat is getting better on Android as well, so you can take the chance on the S8+.

Android is better because you can do more than just confining yourself towards what Apple wants. I own both a high end Android device and iPhone SE.

The only perks I get from iOS are the following: more reliability at core functions (texts, app updates, and software updates), iMessaging/FaceTime, better battery life with stronger RAM management, and stronger customer service and device support.

Meanwhile, my S7 provides me with better hardware, more features, and a lot better customization options. My S7 would be even better if the battery life was great with standby battery life and overall battery life. With the S8+, you don't have to worry about battery life.

With the S8+, you have a great known. The iPhone 2017 is an unknown right now that could go in various directions. I don't have faith in Tim Cook to sign off on a Galaxy S7 Edge or Galaxy S8 caliber iPhone.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

S8 looks to be the better phone hardware wise but I just couldn't deal with Android when I tried the Note 7 last year so I ran back to Apple (that plus the whole exploding battery thing) Anyways I would say pick up an S8 plus for the 15 day return period and see what you think about android I think that's what it comes down to TBH.

16. Packers1958 macrumors member

If you do get the S8, just remember, you will be at the carriers mercy when it come to updates. So if nougut gets an update, it could take months before you actually recieve it from a carrier. Whereas with the iPhone, you get the update when Apple releases it. And dont forget about bloatware that come with every Samsung phone.

17. maccingandsnacking macrumors newbie

And use both? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Also: Cost.

Let's be honest, the S8 is probably the best phone out right now. The issue is iPhone 8's shadow looming on the horizon.

18. htc fan macrumors 6502

Not really trouble, and I be getting the i8 plus or what ever the big screen ends up being called. If it lives up to the hype.

19. maccingandsnacking macrumors newbie

I just know I'd end up favoring one and the other would sit in a drawer for months until I gave up on it. If I needed 2 phones though, these would be the 2.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

you have to ask yourself would how your iPhone works so well with all your other devices annoy you if you had the S8? would you be tempted when the iPhone 8 is out? if the answer is yes to both of those then i would wait personally

21. zone23 macrumors 68000

Galaxy S7 Edge and iPhone 7 Plus here and the iPhone is the go to the device because.. S-Voice or Google Now? Well on Galaxy you have both for ultimate confusion. Problem is neither will start playing "Led Zeppelin" when I ask it too (Siri w/ Apple Music will or a playlist). Car integration? S-Voice or Google Now? Well since Google now doesn't work with the screen off I guess its S-Voice. Got any Phillips Hue lights? Hope not can't use your voice to turn them on, off or change colors. Got a smart watch? Hope not (Galaxy Gear S3 don't get me started). My bank doesn't support Android Pay or wait Samsung Pay guess thats a bank issue need a new bank but not sure which I'm supposed to be using. Galaxy love the wireless fast charging its great and your going to need it cause the battery dies in 4-6 hours if your using the phone (YMMV). I'm just going to stop now.. hope the S8 is better. Good news is I can change the icons on the Galaxy and move them around freely.

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Only you can decide if you should switch from the 7+ to the S8+. Weigh the pros and cons.

If you can afford it, why not keep both devices?

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

How do you handle imessage when using both phones? do you have seperate sim/phone numbers? Or do you have to deactivate imessage off each time you switch phones? From what I understand if you don't deactivate imessage your number will still be getting imessages and your android phone won't receive them obviously so you'll miss a bunch of messages..... Seems like a PITA to switch back and forth.... I'm just curious on how you go about it?

24. jjohnstonjr macrumors newbie

jjohnstonjr

I use to go thru the same thing year after year. After awhile I got tired of paying restocking fees and Apple does everything I need and more. That and the fact that I am knee deep in their ecosystem.

25. Black05Hemi macrumors member

Samsung has the great screen, tons of RAM to run whatever you want, all of the great features. It also has touch wiz, so enjoy that.

The only Android I consider using anymore comes from Google. iPhone just works, though. I went back and forth for years literally. I think I may not go back to Android this time. It's been six months now with my 6s+.