Galaxy S8 Retail Price to Significantly Undercut Premium 'iPhone 8'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Fresh leaks of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S8 have revealed that the de facto "iPhone 8" rival will come in three colors and cost upwards of 799 euros ($859) when it goes on sale next month in Europe.

Serial mobile leaker Evan Blass revealed the news in a Sunday tweet, which included an official press image of Samsung's new flagship phone in colors described as Black Sky, Orchid Grey, and Arctic Silver.

A second tweet offered the pricing details, with the 5.8-inch S8 starting at 799 euros and the 6.2-inch S8 Plus going for 899 euros ($967). Blass also revealed the prices of a handful of accessories set to launch with the phone, including a DeX docking station (150 euros/$161), a new GearVR headset (129 euros/$138), and a Gear 360 camera (229 euros/$246).

While direct currency conversions are no guarantee of actual prices outside of Europe, the phones still look likely to undercut Apple's upcoming 5.8-inch OLED iPhone by some margin.

Tentatively dubbed "iPhone 8" by media outlets, the tenth anniversary edition model could cost upwards of $1,000, according to one report claiming knowledge of Apple's plans. The premium tier device is expected to feature a radical redesign with a flat edge-to-edge OLED screen supplied by Samsung, a virtual home button and some form of wireless charging, launching alongside more typical "S" cycle iPhone models to succeed the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Samsung's S8 will feature iris scanning and facial recognition technology in addition to fingerprint recognition, with a new virtual assistant called "Bixby" also to debut. The Korean company will launch its new phones at an event on March 29, with the devices said to ship to consumers on April 21. Apple's 2017 iPhones are expected to launch in the fall.

Article Link: Galaxy S8 Retail Price to Significantly Undercut Premium 'iPhone 8'

2. Nick A macrumors regular

Strictly speaking of the design, it looks like the phone of the future we've all envisioned for years. And I like it, a lot.

3. Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

Looks good, in my opinion.

Time for Apple to up the ante. Let the games begin.

4. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

+1 here but I'm hopping no battery issues this time

5. UKPoliticsGuy macrumors regular

Looks really nice but I couldn't have an Android OS phone.

6. McFlyOz macrumors member

McFlyOz

That is a very nice looking phone. No Samsung for me, though.

7. profets macrumors 68040

Quite interesting that they're going to hit a $1000 price.

8. eddieaus macrumors regular

9. miknos Suspended

miknos

Let me get it straight:
    Apple will make an iPhone "anniversary edition" with a retail price of $1000? Maybe it's an strategy to charge ~$700 for outdated previous models.

Marketing at it best. Fooling fools.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Smart move by Samsung, as they need to win back customers. Undercutting the price of the iPhone is a good move, given that we no longer have subsidies.

11. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

not exactly undercutting it because the price went up vs the galaxy s7 and s7 edge.

both phones are upping there prices as they get more premium.

I just bought an iPhone 7 plus for around the same price as the upcoming gs8 and I also included apple care.

12. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think you will find that consumers aren't really all that price-sensitive when it comes to iPhones, so I doubt a price cut would affect sales of iPhones all that much.

If anything, the iPhone probably faces more competition from older iPhone models than any other android smartphone model out there. Even if they are flagship phones like the S8.

14. rturner2 macrumors 6502

Samsung can make great hardware!! Screens etc. Apple leading with mobile CPUs.

Personally I feel it's the software side that lets Samsung down the most. I have access to android devices at work and never feel the desire to use them. Then again, others like android.

15. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Given that you can buy a functional Android smartphone for $60 new from Amazon, I'm not sure that undercutting the iPhone is going to be enough.

As for Apple, people who up upgrade every year, will still upgrade every year to iPhone. And folks using the 6 or older will upgrade as well. That is enough users to meet Apple's sales targets at launch. And I suspect these rumored high costs for the 8 are going to be coupled with high ram, so the price compared to current 256gb models isn't going to be that different.

16. Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

I think the main point is that with the increasing insanity in the pricing, the actual cost of a phone is going to weigh heavier on consumers' minds than in previous years, especially for people who are on the fence.

It's sad when the price of a phone is almost being considered as a 'feature'. :(

17. rturner2 macrumors 6502

"with a new virtual assistant called "Bixby" also to debut"... made by the people who made Siri. This is going to be interesting.

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

I know this screen is going to be gorgeous. If it looks even better than the previous Samsung smartphone screens, then wow.

20. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

for android fans you should wait for other Chinese manufacturers to come up with similar specs at lower price. As per the iphone oled I'd buy one a year after its release to save some money on upgrading my current 6s

21. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I'm just about done with iOS and Mac so this might be my time to switch. Most of my equipment is now obsolete, Time Capsule,iMac and MBA. They kept me on iOS. Not a big fan of andriod, but I'm also not a fan of high priced phones either.

I'll have to see what they release.

22. Nozuka macrumors 68000

The S8 will probably be around 500$ by the time the iphone 8 is released.. At least that's how it was with the S7.

I tried the S7 last year and was not happy with the software from Samsung. Which is why i went back to the iPhone. But the Display and Camera were great. Batterylife was not very good.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The difference is that Samsung has been and continues to be Apple's main competitor in the premium phone category. Sure you can get a cheap no name for a fraction of what the iPhone gets, but for premium phones I think its smart move.

24. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Of course they have to undercut Apple this time, after the colossal failure of the Note 7 and the disappointing S8.

An used iPhone 8 will be worth gold after one year compared to the S8.

25. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins