Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
For the most part, FaceID is a big leap over the TouchID user experience. I like that data - particularly passwords and messages on the home screen - are secured and seamlessly unlocked via FaceID. It now feels incredibly outdated to use TouchID on my iPad Pro.

The only case where I prefer TouchID is when the device is laying flat on the table and I want to unlock it to use, say, Siri. With TouchID, I'm able to simply reach my hand over to the device and lay my finger on the home button. With FaceID, I have to push on the screen and then awkwardly hover my face over the device; more than half the time FaceID fails and I have to lift the device.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
FaceID has been great so far! I can only imagine it improving in the future. Lets see how many other phone companies follow Apple’s lead.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Fingerprint scanners in 2018?? Those neanderthals.

Seriously though, "defense-grade" security that can be duped by a photograph or contact lens is laughable. Face ID can't even be duped by professional mask makers. Once again, Apple is multiple years ahead of the competition.
And this is just the first version of it...

I'm sure they will improve it and will be very secure in future versions, only time will tell.

Reactions: Return Zero

ValisNovo

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Always wondered how you using the rear fingerprint sensor when the phone in a car dock.

Smart Unlock. Does Apple not have this?

How do you unlock your X with face ID in a car dock while driving? That must look interesting to other drivers at a stop light as well.

V

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Given that Samsung’s mobile devices copy a lot of Apple’s first-mover content, I would expect that they will try to copy FaceID and do their usual lousy, insecure, job of it.
[doublepost=1510167260][/doublepost]
The rumors said Apple was looking into Touch ID under screen. Apple themselves said they were not looking at such methods once they’ve realized the potential of Face ID. Face ID have been in development for more than 3 years. About the same time Touch ID was introduced, so Apple was already looking past Touch ID way back then.

I think the rumors were false, it was an easy rumor to spread since it seamed like the next logical move for Apple to make by putting Touch ID in the display.
Agreed. Under screen tech is vastly leapfrogged by the camera tech. So much more can be done with FaceID than “ScreenID”. The former would always have appeared and displaced the later.

As per how things usually advance, the company that realized the possibility and invested themselves into developing a viable advanced first-mover solution did, and the fast follower company that didn’t is now working hard at developing its own version of that tech as well as having to develop its backup solution in case they can’t crack the tech or competitor patent but.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Knowing how Samsung loves to copy Apple, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Samsung really push their iris and facial scans, no matter how limited, into their mainstream advertising.

But I give Samsung some credit... They still have the headphone jack.
I thought they did do away with that, although now that I think of it, that was Google with the Pixel 2.

They're also manufacturing the OLED screens for Apple's Iphone X, so they're making money either way.

However, Apple would've liked more competition and/or control over OLED availability, so they've put into motion long term plans to kickstart OLED screen manufacturing with the other cell phone makers (LG was at least one of them IIRC).

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

Samsung has decided not to include a fingerprint scanner under the display of its next-generation Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ smartphones due to continued technical difficulties, according to South Korea's The Investor.

galaxy-s8_security_touch.jpg

Instead, the fingerprint scanner will likely remain positioned on the back of each device, just like the current Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ models.

Fingerprint scanning is one of three biometric options for unlocking the Galaxy S8 alongside iris scanning and facial recognition. Samsung says all three solutions provide "defense-grade security" around the clock.

Shortly after the Galaxy S8 launched, however, videos surfaced showing that Samsung's facial recognition system could be fairly easily duped with a picture of someone. The iris scanner was also tricked with contact lenses.

galaxy-s8-facial-recognition.jpg

In fine print on its website, Samsung admits that its facial recognition system is "less secure than pattern, PIN, or password." Facial recognition can't be used to authenticate access to the Galaxy S8's Secure Folder or Samsung Pay.

"It is important to reiterate that facial recognition, while convenient, can only be used for opening your Galaxy S8 and currently cannot be used to authenticate access to Samsung Pay or Secure Folder," the company told Ars Technica in March.

Apple was widely rumored to be attempting to integrate Touch ID under the display on the iPhone X, or even on the side or back of the device, but the company's hardware engineering chief Dan Riccio suggested it ditched any form of fingerprint scanning after hitting "early line of sight" with Face ID.

Samsung's facial recognition system is unquestionably less secure than Face ID, which uses significantly more advanced 3D facial recognition and has a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of being duped by a stranger, according to Apple.

iphone-x-face-id-800x475.jpg

Apple is so confident in Face ID that it is planning to abandon Touch ID in favor of the TrueDepth system on all of its new iPhone models released in 2018, according to well-connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple says Face ID only has a possibility of being less reliable for identical twins, siblings who look alike, and children under 13 years of age, the latter because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed.

Apple's Face ID security paper explains how the TrueDepth camera projects and reads over 30,000 infrared dots to form a depth map of your face, along with a 2D infrared image. This data is used to create a sequence of 2D images and depth maps, which are digitally signed and sent to the Secure Enclave.

Face ID is designed to confirm user attention, ensuring a lower false match rate, and mitigation against both digital and physical spoofing.

Article Link: Galaxy S9 Will Likely Still Have Rear Fingerprint Scanner as Apple Rumored to Ditch Touch ID Entirely
that black guy looks freaky

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Face ID can't even be duped by professional mask makers. Once again, Apple is multiple years ahead of the competition.
So years ahead of the competition that Face ID can easily be duped by "identical twins, siblings who look alike, and children under 13 years of age." Awesome. Back to using the good old six-digit passcode and give up Apple Pay, I guess.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Smart Unlock. Does Apple not have this?

How do you unlock your X with face ID in a car dock while driving? That must look interesting to other drivers at a stop light as well.

V

face id can unlock while it is flat on a desk. you don't need to hold it up to your face. Anyone who uses a car dock usually has it mounted to the top of the dashboard, windshield, or upper a/c vents. So it will be in line of sight for face id.
[doublepost=1510181361][/doublepost]
Why would you want or need to do that?

to unlock the device. Unless your phone is being controlled by Android Play or CarPlay, you will need to unlock it at some point while it is docked.

Last edited:

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
face id can unlock while it is flat on a desk. you don't need to hold it up to your face. Anyone who uses a car dock usually has it mounted to the top of the dashboard, windshield, or upper a/c vents. So it will be in line of sight for face id.
[doublepost=1510181361][/doublepost]

to unlock the device. Unless your phone is being controlled by Android Play or CarPlay, you will need to unlock it at some point while it is docked.
Really. I would set the phone to stay unlocked when connected to a known and secure Bluetooth source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.