Galaxy tab price reduced to 350

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I still don't understand why anyone would buy a device having to pay a MANDATORY monthly fee when the iPad is sitting there at a one time price.....500 bucks. 350 bucks and a monthly fee is ridiculous. Isn't that what we have smart phones for?

For roughly 620 bucks, u could get a 3G version and get the web on the go when YOU want to.

http://seerpress.com/galaxy-tab-price-drops/18256/

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You know you don't HAVE to get the Tab on a contract right? You can just buy it outright and then sign up for service when you want to. Monthly fees are basically the same for the iPad and the Tab. The only difference is that the iPad is a pre-paid service, where the Tab is post-paid. At least that's how it is here in Canada.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Lower Price!!! Great, but it smells like the first signs of failure... :eek:

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I tried the Galaxy Tablet for a while when I was trapped shopping.

It failed to impress me, the android home pages confused the hell out of me. No pinch to zoom on the browser? The whole thing looks cartoonish and childlike.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Heck, that's also what many people do when they buy an iPhone. For anyone planning to use a device for a while on the same carrier, there's no downside.

As for the Samsung Tab, my family is enjoying the heck out of it. We find it easy to carry on trips in a medium-sized pocket of a backpack.

My 8 year old daughter has no problem with Android menus and homescreens. She adores Angry Birds on the larger (but not huge) screen. I like using news apps like Pulse on it. Basically, any Android app I have scales up nicely.

It's not much different than with the iPad: if you're used to an OS, then it's easier to migrate to another device using substantially the same thing. In our family's case, we're comfortable with both iOS and Android... so we have the best of both worlds to choose from.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The Galaxy Tab with it's 3G ability as standard is now cheaper in the UK than the lowest priced 16gb WiFi iPad.

Not only that, but Samsung also give you just over $300 dollars of free download vouchers with it as a bonus.

And this is a one off purchase price without any contract or monthly fee on the Galaxy Tab.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

You got a link for a non contract Tab for less than £429.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

9. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I messed around with the galaxy tab at future shop for about 2 minutes, and it's tiny. It's more like a big phone than a small tablet, where the ipad is definitely a tablet. Also with stock android 2.2 this thing is a joke, it really needs honeycomb. The 7 inch screen is tiny and can't really fit or do anything more than a phone (with phones having between 4-5 inch screens, 7 inches was really a big mistake). 10 inches really is the sweet spot.

I feel sorry for anyone that got swept up on hype on bought one of these things. Motorola tablet with android honeycomb, playbook, and iPad 2 are the only ones to consider right now. If you bought a galaxy tab you got played.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, Honeycomb is not out yet, so Samsung cannot make something that does not exist.

You slag off 7" devices, then recommend the Playbook as one of the ones to consider. The Playbook with the 7" screen you mean?

Hopefully the Galaxy tab will be upgradable to Honeycomb, and in any event you can be sure Samsung will bring out a Honeycomb tablet the moment they can, but they have at least released something which some people like and are enjoying.

Better that, than for them to have nothing at all to offer.

11. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

12. det2004 macrumors 6502

I also think that the 7" screen is too small for a tablet. The size of the ipad is just about perfect for me.

13. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

I have owned both the ipad and the galaxy tab and for me i love the size of the tab. I have an Evo 4G with a 4.3in screen and the tabs 7in screen is just right. I found the ipad too big and cumbersome. For the record i bouht the ipad when it first released and had it for six months before i decided to part ways with it. The ipad is a nice device but for me I couldnt stand the locked down ways of it. With my tab i can bluetooth files to it or just plug it into any pc and drop files on it.

14. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Please explain how an iPad is cumbersome in detail! I carry it just like a book.

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Exactly. I carry my iPad around everywhere with me, and don't find it to be cumbersome at all.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

And some people like smaller books. For that matter, iPad size can be too small for some.

The size of your pockets or purse can make a difference, too.

No one needs to justify their opinion either way. Not you. Not others.

It's a personal thing, and there can never be a universal consensus. That's why there will always be many sizes available on the market.

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. I tried the tab at Verizon, before getting my iPad. I ended up getting the iPad the same day, and never looked back. Best part about the iPad, is being able to JB the iPhone, and using apps like PdaNet, and MiWi, as a HotSpot for my iPad when I'm out.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Froyo 2.2 was not a joke until people got their hands on details about Honeycomb. I've played with the Galaxy and I personally liked it quite a bit. I felt the size was good overall but too small for my needs. The iPad replaced my couch-surfing notebook. The extra screen real estate is nice. The Galaxy would be my choice if I travelled more often.

19. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

20. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Hmm...I thought the Tab was selling great. So why do they feel the need to discount it in the middle of the big Christmas selling season?

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

500 doesn't even factor in because the Tab is a 3G device. Now assuming you aren't broke, why would you buy a 3G device and not have data for it. So if you're going to carry data anyway why not get the Tab at a subsidized discount? Its better than paying for data and not getting a discount. At this price the Tab is actually quite affordable, heck that discount gives you almost 7 months of data for free AND its 5Gb not ATT's 2GB. assuming you like the Tab that's a pretty sweet deal.

Apple dropped the first iPhone's price by 200, and then the 3G iPhone was even cheaper. Yeah price reductions are the surest sign of failure. :rolleyes:

22. TomCondon macrumors regular

Down price, Up demand.

first thing I learnt in economics class

23. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

Like kdarling said it personal preference. I just found it too big to put in my pockets. The tab just fits inside my cargo pockets on my cammies. Irish rose you do realize that the same can be done with the tab.

The ipad was nice, it opened the door for others but for me it was time to say bye bye and move on to something that suited me better.

The tab is like carrying a paperback book and the ipad a hardcover

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

More and more tech columnists seem to be picking up the Tab these days, for many of the same reasons.

Here's one example.

I think there's a place for many device sizes in a person's life. The iPad works well for us as a mostly living-room-device. The Tab works better for our family when traveling (we also use it for Fring video calls on vacation). And then each individual has a smaller smartphone.

It could be that it's when you can only afford one device, that you have to make a decision as to what fits you best overall.