Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diabeetus

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
pretty l33t

i'd like to see improvements for spotlight, and i wanna see those lights that show what apps are open in the dock a little more prominent.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
NDA abuse or worse. Can't condone this sort of thing.
As a positive, at least they didn't uncover all of the new goodies in this build...

Care to come off the high horse and share?

I did notice that Exposé has its own app now, rather than just a Prefpane...is there anything major, or is just little "that's cool" tweaks?

I can't wait! hopefully they'll have a slimmer sexier macbookpro by then, I'm down.

The MBP is about a "slim and sexy" as a laptop that powerful can be...unless they find a way to cool it with liquid nitrogen :p

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
i as really hoping to see finder get tabs in leopard

but i guess will have to wait till lion or cougar what ever they call 10.6
or maybe it'll be time to graduate to OS11 or maybe even OS16

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
I've said this before, but this is the first preview of a version of OS X that I have not liked. The menu bar has to be totally redone.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Have to complain about the transparent menubar again... I'd thought it was possible to turn off transparency, but I figured if that was true we'd see at least one screenshot somewhere with it opaque.

Unless the transparency is just so great in active use that everyone leaves it on.

Just makes me feel like I should push my windows up higher because the desktop is peeking through, not to mention the loss of contrast.

Wow, I really find those new folders tough to distinguish at a quick glance! I wish they had some color cues like the current ones do.
That's my principal complaint too... Everything is getting too monochrome. Color and shape are important for quick recognition.
i'd like to see improvements for spotlight, and i wanna see those lights that show what apps are open in the dock a little more prominent.
Someone suggested they were meant to be like "footlights" showing which apps are active. I'd like them to take the metaphor a step further and dim the icons that aren't active and brighten the ones that are-- as if the footlights were actually doing something. It would make it much faster to recognize the active apps to.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I'd like them to take the metaphor a step further and dim the icons that aren't active and brighten the ones that are-- as if the footlights were actually doing something. It would make it much faster to recognize the active apps to.

There's something like that built-in to Tiger, where you can use a Terminal command to enable the dimming of icons for programs that are hidden...but I don't think it's a usable feature for people who faint at a CLI.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
There's something like that built-in to Tiger, where you can use a Terminal command to enable the dimming of icons for programs that are hidden...but I don't think it's a usable feature for people who faint at a CLI.
I want that as well, but it's different. That option makes the icon partially transparent to indicate it's hidden-- and I'd like to see that a standard feature. What I meant is make the icon dark (unlit) or bright (lit) depending on whether the footlights are on.

Edit: I should have mentioned you can enable the Tiger feature with TinkerTool and other apps to avoid the CLI...

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
The more and more I see of Leopard the more I don't like it.

Do they really have to make every fxcking in Leopard like iTunes???

CoverFlow on applications...what a freaking joke.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
My Humble Opinion

Well I keep looking over Leopard and personally I think the idea of using an iTunes style interface is great, however I personally don't believe there is enough eye candy.

When you are using Vista (sadly I have), there is a lot of eye candy (whether you like it or not) and that appears to be missing.

I will tell everyone however after seeing more and more of the leopard icons, I think they look and work great. It reminds me of the manilla envelopes from work and seems to flow.

Just my two cents.:p

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
So I heard that the video back grounds in iChat will not work on a MacBook. It say it does not meat the processor requirements
I never heard that but it might make sense cause they have those crappy built in Intel Video Cards :( Those backgrounds are gunna be fun fun fun though, can't wait :D

I just want to see what iChat looks like, in detail...

I just hope they add a lot of the basic features that every other IM client has like offline IM, and notes, and alert or buzz someone, etc...

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Media???

What happened to the media in the Finder??? Movies, Music, Pictures??? Can you put them in yourself??? They better be there, I use those all the time! Does anybody know anything about that???

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
I just hope they add a lot of the basic features that every other IM client has like offline IM, and notes, and alert or buzz someone, etc...

Offline IM -> email
notes -> what is this?
alert or buzz -> please no!!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Offline IM -> email
notes -> what is this?

Writing an email is NOT the same as an offline IM, all I have to do is send and IM and if the person isn't online, right when they get on it pops on their screen. I don't wanna take 4 or 5 extra steps to send an email. This is basic, every IM client has that except iChat.

Notes is when the chat window gives you a tab or a spot where you can write down notes so every time you chat with that person you can look at notes you wrote before to remember things. VERY USEFUL!

Alert & Buzz may not be the most comforting thing, but it is VERY USEFUL if someone has their window hidden behind other things or you need to get their attention.

I really do like iChat, but lets be honest, it is lacking a lot of common features in the world of IM clients these days :( It is kind of like the iPhone now, I LOVE it and the new features, but it is missing very common things, like the iPhone is AMAZING but no MMS and things like that??? Come on..... :( I know those things will be added to the iPhone, and I will get mine as soon as they are. But if those features are not added to iChat now, then when will they be??? :(

obesecat55

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
What ever happened to resolution independence? This was one of the features I was most looking forward to.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Do they really have to make every fxcking in Leopard like iTunes???

CoverFlow on applications...what a freaking joke.
I have to agree I don't understand why iTunes has become the holy grail of UI. Some of it makes sense-- the sidebar is actually more useful this way. Coverflow seems like a bit of a stretch, but there are places it's useful-- images for one. If they're going to make it available for image folders though, they may as well make it generally available and let people choose it when it makes sense for them.

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I have to agree I don't understand why iTunes has become the holy grail of UI. Some of it makes sense-- the sidebar is actually more useful this way. Coverflow seems like a bit of a stretch, but there are places it's useful-- images for one.
Yeah, well said. The one thing that puts me off using the iTunes style UI for everything is that I've found it to be the least stable of all the Apple apps I've used. Daft, I know, but it locks up on me at least once a week, usually resulting in a logout/login or a reboot, as it won't force quit properly. As I have it running pretty much all the time, it can be a bit of a pain.

Agreed. Yeah, it could be useful for when you just haven't noticed that a new message has popped up, but when Microsoft put it into MSN Messenger (or Windows Live or whatever it's called now) I just turned the feature off. It just gets overused by tools that want me to reply instantly, not understanding that, unlike them, I don't use my computer for the sole purpose of being on IM.

What I really want from iChat is MSN support - I rarely (if ever) use AIM, Y!IM and Google Talk, even though I have accounts for them - I only use Adium over Messenger for Mac because it's prettier and more customisable. That said, if Apple were to implement MSN support, Adium and the like would quite possibly lose a huge chunk of the market.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
i as really hoping to see finder get tabs in leopard

Same here. I was hoping there was some truth behind those fakes circulating a while back. Tabbed Finder windows would rock. But it looks like it's not happening. :(

BTW, I love the strange twist that Terminal is getting tabbed views, but not the Finder. I guess someone at Apple must understand why an outdated UI (command line) should get such a modern touch while the more modern UI (The Finder) doesn't. Oh well, go figure.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Looking good. And they're moving along very quickly it seems.

Hope Apple can get this out in late Sept. or very early Oct.

Can't wait to play with it.

But WTF is up with Cover Flow for applications? Looks stupid to me.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Coverflow in the Finder is for when we get full-3D app icons in 10.6 :)

Can someone tell me whether Front Row is now an instant fade-in, or do you get the lovely little 'spin' from the desktop? I'll miss that if it's gone...

MA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.