Game Center

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blacksei, Sep 2, 2010.

1. blacksei macrumors newbie

What do you think the implications of game centre will be
    what games use it just now!!!!

Add Me
    Blacksei

2. Reiger macrumors regular

Angry Birds was shown in the keynote, but it doesn't show up in Game Center on my device. So I guess most (maybe even all) apps still have to be updated to incorporate Game Center.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Adding support for Game Center is a pretty big step for game developers to take.

I'm sure some of them have been working on updates that support Game Center (as well as some new games), but I'm not sure if Apple is accepting App submissions for iOS 4.1 yet.

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

YEah games will have to be updated to take advantage of it. My Game Center nickname (tag) is my username for those that want to add me to their list.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems to me, that apple kind of dropped the ball on the Game Center. The concept is solid enough, but the execution was lacking in this case.

I think the volume of games using Game Center at this point is incredibly limited.

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Are people able to send and accept friends requests yet?
    I really like the idea of Game Centre...I just hope app developers take advantage of it.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I agree, really hope it takes off.

8. 226896 Guest

Add me up guys, let's kick off Game Center!

Frost Tear is my username.

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The sad part is right now there is nothing to do. No chatting. No games. No Achievements. So far it is just a fancy friends list.

Yes, you can send and receive invites/requests.

10. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Cool. Add me if you like: Phazon UK (also my Xbox Live Gtag)

11. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Added you and totally agree that Game Center needs some kind of messaging system. Needs to be the Xbox Live of the iPhone. I know it has only just been release (not even officialy, only for devs on 4.1 GM) but I would have thought this kind of thing would have been obvious...

12. shandyman Suspended

hang on, the thing hasn't officially started yet! that's next week, if you notice, in the app it says sandbox, so it's still in testing mode. so how can they be lacking on execution when it's not even up and running properly yet??? :confused:

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What do you expect Apple to change in a week? The code is final (I was puzzled by the Sandbox tags too), Windows Phone 7 is taking features that are incredibly popular on Xbox LIVE and bringing them to the phone.

That product is version 1.0 and only just finished yet it has far more functionality than Game Center.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that messages or a consistent notification system when you unlock an Achievement are features people will be expecting.

14. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Add me too:

Data Ghost (also my xbla gamertag)

15. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

To make it easier for Apple and better for everyone, I think Game Center should have been a download from the App Store so that it can be easily updated with things like messaging and whatever else people might want. From the looks of it Apple would have to include any Game Center updates into a firmware update.

I think a good idea for Apple would be to make something similar to BBM but for iDevices...name it iChat maybe? Although I guess it could get confused with the OSX iChat. But anyway...they need a chat service just for iDevices and have it integrate with everything else in iOS. So you could give iTunes for App Store links, add people from Game Center onto it (could substitute having Game Center messaging), share media (pictures, videos, websites, Gmaps locations etc) and then other devs could even change their apps to integrate with it somehow.

EDIT: Also just seen that there is a Friends tab as well as a Request tab... Is there really a need for both?

16. adztaylor macrumors 68000

That is an excellent suggestion, they really should have done that.

17. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Is there any way to change the order of your friends? I want them in alphabetical order...atm I have 3 friends and it's not in order...

18. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is game center on our phone already or coming out in 4.1?

19. shandyman Suspended

yes, but this isn't officialy 1.0 yet, as it is not officially launched until next week. the sandbox tags aren't confusing, it's basically saying it's not full switched on and it's still technically in testing. the service is not switched on properly yet, ergo this will change in the next week! lol. until it's actually up and running we don't know anything for definite..

20. shandyman Suspended

21. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yes we do.

Changing Game Center now isn't an option.

In order to put those features in, Developers would have to be notified.

23. shandyman Suspended

how do you know that they don't already know? until it is officially activated and up and running, we simply don't know, there's obviously some achievement stuff as there's a section for it on game center, also angry birds already has achievements popping up in it via that crystal thing, so i presume they just transpose that to game center. like i said, until it is properly up and running with 4.1's official release and games get the updates to support game center, we don't know how good or poor the execution has been.

24. smithjohnson159 macrumors newbie

To me it's like Xbox Live on the iPhone I thinks it's going to be awesome.

25. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The APIs have been public for ages.

There is no standardized UI overlay when you get an achievement. Nor is there a messaging feature.

When you unlock an achievement, either:

a) you wont see or hear anything on screen

b) the game developer will have added their own overlay/sound

As the only option is for developers to bring their own notification, that means that you're going to get so many different implementations. If Apple were to implement their own pop-up, that would be over any sound/pop-up provided by a developer - that would be such a mess.

In short, these features aren't implemented now and it's going to be difficult for Apple to implement them later.