Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Disney has already "amicably split" with them for the next Star Wars trilogy.

The fallout from GoT last few seasons has really tarnished D&D's standing.
Yeah, supreme irony seems to be they killed their golden goose to jump on the 'bigger and better' Star Wars opportunity, but GoT is likely the biggest and most successful thing they will ever do and they passed up on the opportunity for another 2 seasons of it chasing something which has come to nothing...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah, supreme irony seems to be they killed their golden goose to jump on the 'bigger and better' Star Wars opportunity, but GoT is likely the biggest and most successful thing they will ever do and they passed up on the opportunity for another 2 seasons of it chasing something which has come to nothing...
Sadly it’s us the viewers who lost out a well.

Reactions: Falhófnir

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Somehow I find myself watching the series from the beginning. Really good at the start! :D
i started again for the maybe the 9th time
season 2-epi 4 tonite
i never see the last 8th season episode the last 2 runs.

the spin off is due this winter?
HBO said so......

Reactions: Huntn

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I really don't blame D&D for the underwhelming final season. I blame GRRM who couldn't come up with a book in almost a decade. I bet D&D never dreamed they'd actually have to write the ending for him back in 2009/2010 when all this started rolling. I'm sure they were promised the show wouldn't pass the books and then it did.......

The real disappointment is that the ending of the book series is never going to see print. Winds of Winter is nowhere in sight and then there's one more after that? Yeah right and I laid some dragon eggs this morning.

(FWIW, I rewatched the whole thing last year and I still loved it. When watched as a whole, the final seasons aren't as bad as people think. They play fairly well as the finale of a very long movie.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really don't blame D&D for the underwhelming final season. I blame GRRM who couldn't come up with a book in almost a decade. I bet D&D never dreamed they'd actually have to write the ending for him back in 2009/2010 when all this started rolling. I'm sure they were promised the show wouldn't pass the books and then it did.......

The real disappointment is that the ending of the book series is never going to see print. Winds of Winter is nowhere in sight and then there's one more after that? Yeah right and I laid some dragon eggs this morning.

(FWIW, I rewatched the whole thing last year and I still loved it. When watched as a whole, the final seasons aren't as bad as people think. They play fairly well as the finale of a very long movie.)
Season 1 Summary: Those bastard, backstabbing, might makes right Lannisters, (except for Tyrion) and dragons!

Favorite iconic secondary characters: Bronn, the Onion Knight, Hodor, Gedry (Robert’s bastard whose story just fizzles), the Red Witch, Varys, Shane more to be mentioned. :)

After I watched the the series final (originally televised) I remember pondering if if this ending was GRRM’s or HBO producer’s idea of a good ending?

This remains the best ending I have heard described (earlier in this thread). It is brilliant:

Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Season 1 Summary: Those bastard, backstabbing, might makes right Lannisters, (except for Tyrion) and dragons!

After I watched the the series final (originally televised) I remember pondering if if this ending was GRRM’s or HBO’s producers idea of a good ending?

This remains the best ending I have heard described (earlier in this thread). It is brilliant:

I think HBOs ending will also be GRRM's ending albeit he'll take a different route to get there and it will obviously be a lot more detailed which is probably my biggest gripe with the last two seasons - they were too short! If HBO spent a little more time fleshing out their ending I'm sure it would have been better received. The last two seasons should have been 10 episodes each giving more time to show Ds turn to madness, etc.etc. It all happened too quick - even one extra episode could have made a huge difference.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry to disagree, but I want to point out that HBO essentially wrote D&D blank checks for the final seasons, and it was D&D’s choice to limit themselves to 13 episodes for seasons 7 and 8. I don’t know if it’s foolish or admirable, but they’ve never pointed the finger at anyone else.

“In an interview published before the final premiere, D&D made it clear that they were the ones insisting on stopping at eight seasons and limiting the last two to a total of 13 episodes. ‘[HBO] said, ‘We’ll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be,’’ Weiss said. Benioff added, ‘HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season.’ But the showrunners refused.”

While I agree that D&D likely never imagined they’d be the ones finishing the series without GRRM’s final books (even though he’s said he gave them his ending), it takes a certain talent to create the mess we got.

Regarding finishing the books, GRRM has said he’s always known his ending, but was struggling getting there and closing story arcs in satisfying ways. I only hope the backlash after the show has him reconsidering a new conclusion.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think HBOs ending will also be GRRM's ending albeit he'll take a different route to get there and it will obviously be a lot more detailed which is probably my biggest gripe with the last two seasons - they were too short! If HBO spent a little more time fleshing out their ending I'm sure it would have been better received. The last two seasons should have been 10 episodes each giving more time to show Ds turn to madness, etc.etc. It all happened too quick - even one extra episode could have made a huge difference.
I really hope this is not GRRM’s book ending. But you are right the last season was so short changed that the change in Daenerys’s personality was a bolt out of the blue, a slap in the face. It would have taken a lot of effort that was not applied to make this change seem reasonable or plausible. It does not matter if her Father was mad or not, we watched 8 years of a focused consistent personality, just to witness an implausible transformation (IMO :)).

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I really hope this is not GRRM’s book ending. But you are right the last season was so short changed that the change in Daenerys’s personality was a bolt out of the blue, a slap in the face. It would have taken a lot of effort that was not applied to make this change seem reasonable or plausible. It does not matter if her Father was mad or not, we watched 8 years of a focused consistent personality, just to witness an implausible transformation (IMO :)).

But her change wasn't as sudden as people like to make it. She always had the madness in her, it was just never the forefront to her personality because she didn't always have the power to fortify it.

The witch that made her barren, she torched her in the house even though she was warned against trying to save Khal Drogo.

Think about when her brother was crowned, she had no remorse, and actually enjoyed it. The slavers and magisters that she strung up to prove her point, even though advisors said it wouldn't be the best actions.

You can say each of these wronged her, but it was the same at the end. It was her perception of them versus me.

edit: And I honestly didn't have an issue with the last season, just wish it was some more episodes to flesh it out a bit more rather than the bug jumps in movement.

Yes, HBO wrote D&D open checks to make this happen.... but majority of the actors were ready to be done with it. They had to balance that out too. What happens when you tell the cast that the last two seasons are actually going to be 15 episodes each to tell the full story, and half of your main characters prepare to walk. Every time there was an actor change, it was duly noted by the fans. What do you do if Maisie Williams just says, "look, I'm done. I am not filming that many more episodes."

We as fans don't always know the reasons why things are the way they are.

Reactions: Obi Wan Kenobi

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, HBO wrote D&D open checks to make this happen.... but majority of the actors were ready to be done with it. They had to balance that out too. What happens when you tell the cast that the last two seasons are actually going to be 15 episodes each to tell the full story, and half of your main characters prepare to walk. Every time there was an actor change, it was duly noted by the fans. What do you do if Maisie Williams just says, "look, I'm done. I am not filming that many more episodes."
I'm not sure where you got all that, but there's such a thing as contractual obligation. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But her change wasn't as sudden as people like to make it. She always had the madness in her, it was just never the forefront to her personality because she didn't always have the power to fortify it.

The witch that made her barren, she torched her in the house even though she was warned against trying to save Khal Drogo.

Think about when her brother was crowned, she had no remorse, and actually enjoyed it. The slavers and magisters that she strung up to prove her point, even though advisors said it wouldn't be the best actions.

You can say each of these wronged her, but it was the same at the end. It was her perception of them versus me.

edit: And I honestly didn't have an issue with the last season, just wish it was some more episodes to flesh it out a bit more rather than the bug jumps in movement.

We as fans don't always know the reasons why things are the way they are.

I accept your difference of opinion. :) That said…
  • What Daenerys did to the witch was imo reasonable based on what was done to her, betrayal, some might say unreasonable, but nothing mad about it.
  • Her brother used and abused her, selling her for his own advancement and his pompous self delusion, I’d hate him too.
For being one of the best series ever created, there are two insurmountable issues with this show, the short changing of the story as presented in the book and GRRM‘s inability to finish his story.

What I noticed the first time though was the later seasons approximated story outlines with huge amounts of omission. I realize there are business calculations involved, but they would have been much better served to make each book two seasons even 3.

The short changing really hit home with 5 minute battles, and the worst imo was regarding Daenerys Targaryen’s rapid change of personality which was shocking. I don’t begrudge the author his choices and suspect what we saw at the end of the series was in the author’s story outline, but if there had been a book, there would have been time to develop this manifestation of Daenerys becoming her father properly. But in the show it was a shock, a short changing of the story to facilitate ending it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S2E4- While abusing Sansa, I love how Joffrey trembles at the sight of Tyrion and how he is cowed by him although he is ”King”. Later Tyrion hits him!
S2E6- Charles Dance is stellar as Tywin Lannister.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S3E3- The Bear and the Maiden Fair

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S3E9: Rains of Castamere- One of the most shocking episodes of television history where the author gleefully pulls the rug out from under his readers and giggles as their heads bounce off the carpet. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 5- The High Sparrow It’s interesting that Cersei allowed the Sparrows to rise, she reveled in the Queen Margarie being accused and locked up by the High Sparrow. What I don’t understand is not seeing Tommen gathering up the King’s Guard and slaughtering the Sparrows to get his Margarie back. I understand that there is an argument that he is too insecure in his leadership to rescue his wife without some adult telling him what to do.

What Stanus did to his daughter…:oops:

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.